KKK costume at Canadian Legion Halloween party disgusts many

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I think this is a litle more disturbing than a little white poppy....

CAMPBELLFORD, ONT.—A small-town Ontario restaurant owner says he was “blown away” when a person in Ku Klux Klan robes leading a man in blackface by a rope was awarded first prize at a Royal Canadian Legion Halloween party.
“When I saw it and put down my beer and left and was walking out — I never felt as alone as I have in my life,” Mark Andrade said of the troubling spectacle he witnessed at a Campbellford, Ont., legion on Saturday night.
Andrade, who is black, said he arrived at the legion for a beer with friends at about 11:30 p.m.
“I had a swig, turned around and they were doing the parade of the costumes to pick the best,” he said.
One person was dressed as a Klansman, complete with hood, a Confederate flag on their back and a rope in their hand.
“At the other end of that rope was a guy in blackface... with the noose around his neck,” Andrade said.
The person dressed as a Klansman and the man in blackface won first prize, said Andrade, who added he left in disgust.
“I was blown away.”
Andrade said it was his understanding the people in the offensive costumes were not legion members.
Legion officials in the eastern Ontario town, who could not be immediately reached for comment, reportedly issued an apology Tuesday.
Andrade said he called the legion on Monday to complain and the president “told me I was about the 400th call she’d received since Saturday night.”
“To say people weren’t disgusted would be incorrect,” Andrade said. “But at that time there was about 200 people were there revelling, partying, drinking.”
However, the incident hasn’t soured Andrade on Campbellford, which he calls a “great community, great people.”
“I’ve never experienced anything like this, even in the realm of racism since I’ve been here,” said Andrade, who moved to Campbellford a dozen years ago.
The local Ontario Provincial Police detachment said it has not received any complaints.

Source

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well I'll be!

In Canada no less.

AND HE WAS AWARDED FIRST PRIZE!

Remember this thread the next time you want to point your fingers south with regards to racism.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Those two douchebags should have been immediately kicked out, and there is NO way they should have won the freaking best-costume contest. Sometimes I cannot believe how idiotic some people still are.:roll:

Well I'll be!

In Canada no less.

Remember this thread the next time you want to point your fingers south with regards to racism.

Unfortunately, racist scumbags(or people that are just inconsiderate dumbahs) aren't specific to any one locale.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Those two douchebags should have been immediately kicked out, and there is NO way they should have won the freaking best-costume contest. Sometimes I cannot believe how idiotic some people still are.:roll:

That would mean that he was awarded by a number of people.

So not only was he not tossed out on his butt... but he was given the Blue Ribbon.

Unfortunately, racist scumbags(or people that are just inconsiderate dumbahs) aren't specific to any one locale.

I agree 100%!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
That would mean that he was awarded by a number of people.

So not only was he not tossed out on his butt... but he was given the Blue Ribbon.

I agree 100%!

I can only hope that copious amounts of booze being imbibed would be the reasoning behind them winning the contest(not that it justifies it happening). If it was awarded by employees of the event, then they should be reprimanded as it doesn't take much common sense to realize that those costumes were not acceptable.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I can only hope that copious amounts of booze being imbibed would be the reasoning behind them winning the contest(not that it justifies it happening). If it was awarded by employees of the event, then they should be reprimanded as it doesn't take much common sense to realize that those costumes were not acceptable.

No way... NO WAY.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE in my opinion for even allowing this guy through the door never mind giving him first prize. Booze is not an excuse.

Just my opinion Shadow.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I beg to differ. Tacky, yes but were we not just speaking of the thousands that died to protect our right to free speech? Or is free speech only permitted if it is PC?
Personally I think it would have been funnier if the Klansman was black and towing a white boy around.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
No way... NO WAY.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE in my opinion for even allowing this guy through the door never mind giving him first prize. Booze is not an excuse.

Just my opinion Shadow.

No worries, EagleSmack. In the brackets in my above post I said (not that it justifies it), so I agree with your opinion. In this day and age, behaviour like that should not be tolerated.

I beg to differ. Tacky, yes but were we not just speaking of the thousands that died to protect our right to free speech? Or is free speech only permitted if it is PC?
Personally I think it would have been funnier if the Klansman was black and towing a white boy around.

Free speech? I don't see this being any different than if someone was dressed up as a Nazi soldier and a friend of his was dressed up as a Jewish prisoner. There are some things that go beyond being a costume. They end being a symbol of a dark time in human history.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Avro posted a very important thread tonight. Historic IMO as far as Cancon.

This stuff only happens in the deep south eh?

"Dem dar Mericans allsways be dem dar racist"

Isn't that what I've read so many times? Not Canadian...nooooo....far to polite and progressive.

Wearing the costume... being accepted into the party... THEN being awarded first prize.

Thanks Avro.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Yeah, when it comes to Halloween costumes, I never thought there was much that was "off limits". Years ago our Reg. office people went to work in Halloween costumes- one sh*t disturber who the bosses hated went dressed as Adolf Hitler- apparently he was hilarious much to the managers' chagrin. (Knowing him he mainly did it just to piss them off).

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Isn't that what I've read so many times? Not Canadian...nooooo....far to polite and progressive.

Wearing the costume... being accepted into the party... THEN being awarded first prize.

Thanks Avro.

We shouldn't make this into an American vs Canadian argument, Eagle. This incident could happen anywhere, and that is what is truly eye-opening.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
We shouldn't make this into an American vs Canadian argument, Eagle. This incident could happen anywhere, and that is what is truly eye-opening.

I was not trying to. I totally agree...it could happen anywhere.

So let me go on record to say I am not trying to make this a Canada vs US argument. Racisim is everywhere.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This goes to the heart of today's society. There should be free speech, and we
should be allowed to do what ever we want. The problem is basic manners and
self respect have been flushed down the toilet while a group of people with little
in the way of common sense parade around like the fools they are. This is not
about Canadian vs American or any other nationality. This is about people who
want to do what they please, after all it is there right. I think if you want to have
the freedom to do this sort of thing, you should also be confronted with the
responsibility for your actions. If this happened in the Legion, and they were in
fact Legion members they should have some disciplinary action as this would
I assume contravene some rules and bylaws. Are they the victims of free
speech or expression? No they are the victims of irresponsible actions.
In addition there should be serious consequences, but hey they should be allowed
to contravene the spirit of the constitution of the Legion itself.
This should not go into silence.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Racism and racist attitudes are not foreign to the Canadian Legion.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
gerryh I don't disagree with you, I am saying however, that the rules and bylaws
are there for a reason and should in this case be applied. If they were not members
whose guest were they.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Say isn't that an American flag of the Confederate States?:canada: Well this won't happen next year as I understand the costume of choice in rural Ontario Legion Halls will be Marc Lapine and the 14 dead women or Santa Morgentaler and his bag of pickled punks.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well I'll be!

In Canada no less.

Who said anything about racism..... to some, a KKK member is spooky and scary.... perfect halloween costume if you want to risk getting your ass beaten good.

Considering the amount of complaints sent in afterwards over it and the offended individual's own words state that he loves the community and never had any serious problems with racism before.

Just sounds like someone not thinking and using poor taste, rather then trying to be seriously offensive..... sounds more like it was a stab at the US then a stab at black people (hence the flag)...... though still a poor choice of costume.

Whoever claimed that?

God knows if that's what you read so many times, I don't have your eyes..... but how does your loose translation above equal to being a claim that it never happens here? That's just pointing out an observation of the US, not a comparison.

Yeah, when it comes to Halloween costumes, I never thought there was much that was "off limits". Years ago our Reg. office people went to work in Halloween costumes- one sh*t disturber who the bosses hated went dressed as Adolf Hitler- apparently he was hilarious much to the managers' chagrin. (Knowing him he mainly did it just to piss them off).

Don't forget about a certain British Prince who dressed up like a Nazi a couple of years ago.

I was not trying to. I totally agree...it could happen anywhere.

So let me go on record to say I am not trying to make this a Canada vs US argument. Racisim is everywhere.

LMAO, :lol:...... You claim you weren't trying to make this into a Canada vs. US argument, yet right off the bat in the thread that's exactly what you did, and you kept doing it and for the most part, you were the only one doing it....... but you say you weren't trying to?

Let me guess, you weren't trying because it just comes naturally to you ;-)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A tempest in a teapot perhaps. :smile:

Praxius; Don't forget about a certain British Prince who dressed up like a Nazi a couple of years ago. [/QUOTE said:
That was hilarious as hell- even some members of the Royal Family have a sense of humour.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I was always taught that "Racism" was denigrating or belittling another race or group.

Before I would accuse these two fellows of racism I would ask myself that.

Over the years I have seen people dressed in everything under the sun at Halloween...and never once asked myself myself if the costume was politically correct.

Some people are forever looking to be scandalized by something....

If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.
Abraham Lincoln

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Well I'll be!

In Canada no less.

Where was it racism? I think they did a good job pointing up how ridiculous that kind of red neck racism is.