Facebook developers sold user IDs to data brokers

Tony The Bot

Electoral Member
Nov 2, 2009
Cyberland
www.canadiancontent.net
Facebook developers sold user IDs to data brokers
Posted via Canadian Content

Your privacy may have been compromised on Facebook recently.

In another blow to Facebook and the ever increasing privacy concerns surrounding the social web site, fewer than 12 facebook developers have been banned from the site for six months.

The developers being exiled from Facebook are not being named, but the data broker Rapleaf has confirmed they will not be using the information and deleting it from their databases immediately.

The user IDs that were sold are cannot necessarily be used by advertisers by themselves, but combined with other user information matched with the IDs, they could compromise user privacy.

Facebook has recently announced that they will soon introduce a scheme to encrypt user IDs.

This is only one of several privacy concerns surrounding Facebook lately; A lawsuit recently against Zynga (a social games developer) and Facebook alleges that 218 million user IDs -- nearly half of the Facebook population -- were shared with third party advertisers collecting personal details for ad targeting.

Facebook's terms of use specifically promise not to use the data allegedly shared in the lawsuit complaint.

The lawsuit isn't over yet, so the points mentioned in the lawsuit are currently pure speculation. A blog post by Facebook engineer states "Facebook has never sold and will never sell user information.

"We also have zero tolerance for data brokers because they undermine the value that users have come to expect from Facebook."

Original Article: http://www.canadiancontent.net/commtr/facebook-developers-sold-user-ids-data-brokers_1025.html

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Someone I know decided to cut himself off from Facebook a few months ago. At the time, I was considering to follow in his footsteps. I am still undecided. There are so many benefits Facebook offers yet there are also some serious privacy concerns that worry me. Still undecided.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
People put way too much personal stuff in their profile...I don't use any of the applications...not even to upload photos...prefer to upload one at a time...deny access to any application that wants to see my personal info even though the only accurate thing there is my real name.
And Deny any link to your email account ....same for you tube

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't have anything against Facebook. They just wanted more information than I was willing
to give them.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I've never heard of that lone wolf, but I know that Nigerian 419 scammers have started to use facebook as a platform to perform their evil deeds.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I keep my facebook account but I am very careful what I put on it. I use it to keep
track of 23 grand children, or our kids and friends. I don't put real personal info on
there though. It is the kids I sometimes wonder about they just spill their guts on
the site and God knows who is looking in.

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
People put way too much personal stuff in their profile...I don't use any of the applications...not even to upload photos...prefer to upload one at a time...deny access to any application that wants to see my personal info even though the only accurate thing there is my real name.
And Deny any link to your email account ....same for you tube

I totally agree. I'm on FB to see what my family, who are spread all across the country, are doing each day. I find it quite enjoyable. But I use it responsibly, just like DaSleeper recommends.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Many sites want you to 'sign in with facebook', this one included. That kind of makes a 'nic' or user name redundant, if you are going to sign in with your real name then your privacy is gone.. Retarded really, but kids just give out their identity for free on FB. It really must be a identity thief's dream come true. I have educated my daughter to, at least, never give out address and other info that is needed to complete the fraudsters plan...

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Everybody hates spam, not just on this site. Spammers are the plague of the internet. Outlaw spam!

I just wish that people wouldn't quote a post that contains spam. When they do that, the spam remains in the quote, yet all of the spammer's original posts are deleted with one click of the button. Please, if you must quote a spammers post, at least remove the spam from the quote. Thank you.

(Not directed at you, Cliffy. Honest.;) )

Many sites want you to 'sign in with facebook', this one included.

Actually, Andem got rid of the Facebook aspect of the site a few months back. That is why the members who were here via Facebook are no longer here.