More Ducks Tarred and Feathered?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Probably not, but expect the apologists to be out in full force to tell us how environmentally sound the tar sands really are.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Maybe they could employ some falconers up there during the migratory seasons?

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Ducks land on Syncrude tailings pond, again -  News - MSN CA - Ducks land on syncrudes tailing ponds Again?! --...

Spade - " Will anything be done?"

Last time sycrude agreed to pay .$3 mil ...For 1600 birds ...So the cost has apparently been set ...I think it depends on the circumstances ...It would seem that this incident was more of a weather issue than negligence on sycrude's part.. ...It appears as though syncrude took measures to detour the birds, to no avail ...

In My Personal Opinion, there shouldn'e be ANY tailing ponds to begin with ..

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Cleanup of such kind cannot be bought by price per bird, or a fine. The outcome is simple
either they ensure it is safe or someone or some senior people should serve jail time and in
that regard be put to work, cleaning up environmental disasters. Oh we can't force people
to do work, but we can make it a public relations nightmare if they don't.
The current solution is not working. The government collects the money so the public will
be quiet. The money does not clean up the situation, so government should take this stand.
CLEAN up your mess. If you don't there will be multi million dollar fines and someone is going
to go to jail and the public fall out will be on the head of the companies. The second part of the
issue would also see a change in environmental rules and regulations, with public input at the
grassroots level. Not just Alberta people all citizens that want to weigh in after all the ducks are
crown property as it were.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
That's twice now .. ...What happens at 3? ...Who Strikes out ...?

The field is only growing larger ..?...

It's not only birds drinkin'/ sinkin in, the toxic ponds...

Last edited:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
On the CBC website, there are 621 comments. A hot topic.

Syncrude doesn't care, they just don't get it yet. Getting a few falconers there, building them some shacks would likely cost much less than $3 million and all the negative publicity.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
When you fly over the Syncrude mess, the tailing pond looks just like a lake.
Unfortunately that lake is toxic to wildfowl. I can't see anything changing unless
they cover the ponds or come up with a new method for this part of the operation.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Cliffy , Now that's the $3million question + 240 more birds...( Don't feel like doing the math )...

By my calculations, 240 more birds would bring another $450,000.00 but obviously this isn't working. I would say triple the ante to
$5625.00 per bird and keep on tripling it until they learn.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Plastic is oil byproducts, I've always maintained that we should segregate plastics in our landfills, we'll be mining old garbage for petroleum byproducts at some point.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Plastic is oil byproducts, I've always maintained that we should segregate plastics in our landfills, we'll be mining old garbage for petroleum byproducts at some point.

It is not a lack of technology; it is a short-sighted lack of political oversight and will!

"My understanding is that the carelessness that was at the heart of the problem here that resulted in the death of the 1,600 migratory water fowl, that they are attuned to that, that they have addressed their management practices to make sure this doesn't happen again.
- Jim Prentice, Federal Minister of the Environment commenting on the fine imposed for the previous death of 1600 ducks.