WikiLeaks Logs May Reveal War Crimes

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Wikileaks reveals 15,000 new Iraqi civilian deaths + abuse, torture, rape, murder...

Anyone care to explain why the US invaded Iraq.

WMDs?

Links to the events of 9/11?

The US invaded Iraq out of humanitarian concerns regarding the treatment of civilians by the Hussein regime?

Iraq war logs: UN calls on Obama to investigate human rights abuses | World news | guardian.co.uk
...The Guardian has analysed the 400,000 documents, the biggest leak in US military history, and found 15,000 previously unreported civilian deaths. The logs show how US authorities failed to investigate hundreds of reports of abuse, torture, rape and murder by Iraqi police and soldiers whose conduct appears to be systematic and generally unpunished. Nowak said that if the files released through WikiLeaks pointed to clear violations of the UN Convention Against Torture the Obama administration had an obligation to investigate them.
The logs paint a disturbing picture of the relationship between US and Iraqi forces. Nowak said that UN human rights agreements obliged states to criminalise every form of torture, whether directly or indirectly, and to investigate any allegations of abuse....

Iraq war logs: UN calls on Obama to investigate human rights abuses | World news | guardian.co.uk

It appears that outrage regarding abuse, torture, rape and murder by Iraqi authorities depends on how cooperative those authorities are with the west.

In case you forgot, Iraq was a quiet and relative peaceful place until the 2003 US led war crime. No doubt Iraqis were oppressed, but they were far better off under Saddam Hussein than what replaced him.

Related:
Iraq War Logs: What the numbers reveal :: Iraq Body Count

Iraq War Logs: What the numbers reveal

* The Iraq War Logs contain an estimated 15,000
previously unknown civilian deaths.

* The majority of these new deaths come from small
incidents of one to three deaths.

* Additionally, IBC calculates that over 150,000
violent deaths have been recorded since March 2003,
with more than 122,000 (80%) of them civilian.

Wikileaks
Diary Dig -- Iraq War Logs
...THE DEAD BODY OF A DECEASED LOCAL NATIONAL FEMALE. SHE HAD VISIBLE SIGNS OF TORTURE, HER HANDS WERE TIED BEHIND HER BACK, AND HER FACE APPEARED TO BE TOTALLY GONE. THIS WAS PROBABLY DONE TO HINDER THE IDENTIFICATION OF HER BODY. HER PANTS WERE PULLED DOWN AROUND HER KNEES WHICH INDICATED THE POSSIBILITY OF RAPE...
(CRIMINAL EVENT) MURDER(Other) RPT BY /___ IVO BAGHDAD (ZONE ): ___ CIV KIA -- Iraq War Logs

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Sorry I missed this. I'd like to hear from the people who believe invading Iraq led to an improvement in the lives of Iraqis. Please defend your viewpoint in light of the horrendous level of abuse, rape, torture and murder which Iraqis has suffered as a direct result of US seizure of control of Iraq's oil wealth for the benefit of big oil.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Re: Wikileaks reveals 15,000 new Iraqi civilian deaths + abuse, torture, rape, murder

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Re: Wikileaks reveals 15,000 new Iraqi civilian deaths + abuse, torture, rape, murder

The party line is that a couple of hijacked planes killing less than 1% of the population (who were coincidentally mostly in the wealthiest class) constituted a threat to national security. Consequently, the appropriate response was to invade any states that harboured individuals of a similar ilk to those instigators. We're apparently receiving word now that this was a dumb thing to do.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

Remember how Bush managed to get immunity from prosecution for any USA soldier or operatives who violated laws against internationals. Therefore, you can bet nothing will happen to those found to violate any laws.

Guaranteed.

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
I know.
Most of the world`s civilized population would like nothing other than to see Bush & Co. pay for thier crimes.
Americans may have conveniently `forgotten` and swept thier leaders war-crimes under the rug but victim`s family members havn`t.
Just a matter of time when once again, America is `reminded`.

JBeee......You are not alone;-)

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I know.
Most of the world`s civilized population would like nothing other than to see Bush & Co. pay for thier crimes.
Americans may have conveniently `forgotten` and swept thier leaders war-crimes under the rug but victim`s family members havn`t.
Just a matter of time when once again, America is `reminded`.

Yup..... lots of Dhim·wits (see post #2) around

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Regardless of whether one believes these documents should have been made public or not, now that they have, democratic discussion of what they reveal is necessary and appropriate.

"We can bemoan how these leaks occurred, but I think the nature of the allegations made are extraordinarily serious. They are distressing to read about and they are very serious,"
- Deputy Prime Minister of Britain, Nick Clegg

Last edited:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What really surprises me to no end is that people are just coming to grips with
war crimes. Even my father told me every nation in war commits war crimes
and to believe otherwise you would have to be a fool.
Yes what America did war very bad, but consider the other guys for a minute,
I Iraq there were no WMD and everyone knew it. Saddam was a bad guy but
if he was so terrible why did America help him gain power there in the first place?
In fact during the Iraq Iran war, America provided daily photos for the Iraqi army
and we wonder why Iran doesn't like Uncle Sam. I was watching ABC news
this morning with Christine Amanpour and the Retired General who was her
guest said the only way to shore up Iraq is for a strong man to emerge hopefully
not like Saddam but a strong man. Excuse me, in order to be a strongman over
there you would have to be like Saddam to survive.
War crimes are part of the portrait of war and all sides commit them to deny
that is being unrealistic.
I am deeply troubled like no other issue on the Middle East conflict. We maybe
should never have become involved, but now there is no turning back. We have
indeed crossed the Rubicon as it were. If we embolden groups like the Taliban,
and their allies we will be fighting them every where including in our own streets.
The world is very unstable, and vulnerable to all kinds of trouble. I think there is
a chance we can make the Taliban and company come to the table and if that
happens there would be a future for Afghanistan, merely because the Taliban
would no longer be seen as being invincible.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''What really surprises me to no end is that people are just coming to grips with
war crimes.''

Especially in this forum which used to have Bush's biggest defenders. Despite all evidence to the contrary, as far as his defenders were concerned, Bush could do no wrong and is never to be held accountable for his crimes. And if you recall this came from those who strenuously defended the persecution of Clinton for lying about a personal indiscretion in which nobody got killed.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

The party line is that a couple of hijacked planes killing less than 1% of the population (who were coincidentally mostly in the wealthiest class) constituted a threat to national security. Consequently, the appropriate response was to invade any states that harboured individuals of a similar ilk to those instigators. We're apparently receiving word now that this was a dumb thing to do.
Dumb? How about criminal?

No one has ever linked 9/11 to any Iraqi including Saddam Hussein.

Not a single usable WMD has been found in Iraq since the invasion.

Many Americans (and Canadians) continued to support the Iraq war, believing that Iraqis are better off as a result. That misperception has now been proven to be just as false as the other lies which justified this war.

US military, Nato forces and Western government not only knew about these ongoing atrocities by Iraqi authorities, they also handed people over to the Iraqi authorities for rape, torture and murder.

Wikileaks: Americans handed over captives to Iraq torture squads - Telegraph

The war criminals who started this unprovoked war have the blood of at least 122,000 civilians on their hands. (Iran Body Count's numbers are not estimates but verifiable minimums) Reputable sources estimate the actual number of Iraqi civilian deaths in the range of 600,000 to over a million. (Note: similar methods as those estimates were used to attribute over a million deaths to Saddam Hussein during the 80's when he was a US ally.) This war also displaced 2.25 million people and cost the US taxpayers $740 billion. Little has been accomplished except that a few wealthy powerful people are wealthier and more powerful.