Calgary to adopt Sharia law.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
CALGARY—Cowtown has a new mayor.
He’s young, funny, educated, a visible minority and a Muslim.

Naheed Nenshi was still basking Tuesday in his somewhat unexpected election victory the night before.
And while much was being made of Nenshi being what’s believed to be the first Muslim mayor in a major Canadian city, experts, supporters and even leaders in Calgary’s Muslim community were playing down the role Nenshi’s faith played in his election.

“I think it’s an overblown situation,” said Calgary Imam Syed Soharwardy, the founder of the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada.
“He’s a Muslim. Yes, well so what? Why does it have to be identified that we have a Muslim mayor? I think the most important thing is we have a new person who has been elected by Calgarians.”

Full story

Have fun with that Calgary.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
"When asked to confirm that Nenshi was Muslim, one of his supporters replied, “Barely,” at his victory party on Monday night."

Sounds more like a cultural Muslim than a practicing one. Canadian born and raised, university educated. I think it would be ridiculous to make assumptions about the guy based on his cultural religion.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
"When asked to confirm that Nenshi was Muslim, one of his supporters replied, “Barely,” at his victory party on Monday night."

Sounds more like a cultural Muslim than a practicing one. Canadian born and raised, university educated. I think it would be ridiculous to make assumptions about the guy based on his cultural religion.

They are all the same.

They act moderate to fool idiot Liberals to vote for him.

First Obama, now this.

Time to get more guns.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I agree. I think people should wait and see what he plans to do while in office before putting him on a spit and roasting him.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Oh, come on. Just because a Muslim becomes mayor, you're expecting Sharia law?
fer chrissakes, you need a reality check.

Just like in the 60s, when Kennedy was elected, and some people started scaremongering that the US would be subservient to the Pope.

Stop being such a goddam moron, it reflects badly on you.

I know that being a Montreal Canadiens fan is a sign of a weak mind, but this is far stupider than I would ever have thought possible.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Oh, come on. Just because a Muslim becomes mayor, you're expecting Sharia law?
fer chrissakes, you need a reality check.

Just like in the 60s, when Kennedy was elected, and some people started scaremongering that the US would be subservient to the Pope.

Stop being such a goddam moron, it reflects badly on you.

I know that being a Montreal Canadiens fan is a sign of a weak mind, but this is far stupider than I would ever have thought possible.

Wherever Muslims go they cause trouble.

This is just the beginning bub.

Get ready for daily prayers and beheadings.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I live in Calgary and the fact that he is or maybe Muslim didn't even come up. We, as in my family, didn't even know his religious beliefs. Mind you, we don't know the religious beleifs of Ric Mciver or Barb Higgins.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Honestly, with the over-the-top nature of his comments, I sincerely doubt that Avro's comments are meant to be taken seriously.

At least...I hope not!

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Honestly, with the over-the-top nature of his comments, I sincerely doubt that Avro's comments are meant to be taken seriously.

At least...I hope not!

I know that.
I think the effort required to defend Price vs Halak has completely burned out any remaining brain cells, and this is the result. Either that, or he's inhabited by the spirit of YJ.

Either way, he's not really to be taken seriously, but like a skeet shoot, it's fun anyway.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Get out the lassos, rope those women, throw them in some gunny sacks, and wave at the cowboy hatted police.

I doubt Nenshi's religious beliefs will matter too much, but I do think those in city hall are a little worried about a young ivory towered jokester taking over ... but hey ... what could be worse than a 25 million dollar bridge designed and built in Spain, ready to span a river about two blocks from an existing bridge. If Nenshi doesn't do stupid things like that, he'll come out shining.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
Nenshi had the youth vote (18-35), he had a colour theme ... go purple, and he used twitter and other technology to reach a really wide audience. The funny thing is that only a couple of weeks ago Stelmach, the premiere, said that the the baby boomers own the vote because there are more of them than anyone else ... Nenshi proved him wrong in a very big way.

Nenshi will be trouble for everyone that is in the pockets of big money.