Ottawa ,Canada
Foreign and Military Affairs

'True intentions' of award of Nobel Peace Prize questioned

(Xinhua)
Updated: 2010-10-12 20:30

Comments(2)
Print
Mail
Large Medium Small BEIJING - China Tuesday questioned the "true intentions" of those who awarded the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize to Liu Xiaobo, accusing them of disrespecting the Chinese judicial system.
"The Norwegian Nobel Committee, by giving the Peace Prize to a convicted person in China, shows no respect for the judicial system of China," Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said at a regular press conference in Beijing.

Related readings:
Nobel Peace Prize pick distorts award's aim
Peace Prize pick distorts award's aim
Liu Xiaobo's Nobel Peace Prize could harm China-Norway ties

Ma's comments came after he was asked to comment on the award, which was announced Friday in Oslo, Norway. He said politicians from some countries are using the award as an opportunity to attack China.
"This is not only disrespect for China's judicial system but also puts a big question mark on their true intention."
Liu was sentenced to 11 years in jail on December 25, 2009, after a court in Beijing convicted him of agitation aimed at subverting the government.
Ma said China has made remarkable achievements in development since the start of the reform and opening-up, including continuous progress in human rights. "This is widely acknowledged by the international community."
"If some people try to change China's political system in this way and try to stop the Chinese people from moving forward, they are obviously making a mistake," he said.

It is understood! Most of the West are sour-grapes against China rise and successes! They would do every mean to sabotage China goals and disrupt China harmonious societies! Some even harboring Chinese terrorists and separatists. Contradictorily, they have been asking China to cooperate in fighting against terrorists! What a joke? They themselves supporting and harboring Chinese terrorists and separatists against China.

What a hypocrisy.......

Nobel Peace Prize pick distorts award's aim

(China Daily)
Updated: 2010-10-09 08:28

Comments(0)
Print
Mail
Large Medium Small BEIJING - Awarding the Nobel Peace Prize to Chinese Liu Xiaobo desecrated the prize and could harm China-Norway ties, China's Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said on Friday.
Ma made the remarks in a press release after he was asked to comment on the award, which was announced earlier in Oslo, Norway.

Related readings:
Liu Xiaobo's Nobel Peace Prize could harm China-Norway ties
Nobel Peace Prize candidate criticized for terror links
181 nominations received for 2007 Nobel Peace Prize

Liu was sentenced to 11 years in prison on Dec 25, 2009, after a Beijing court convicted him of agitation aimed at subverting the government. The Nobel Peace Prize should be awarded to people who contribute to national harmony, country-to-country friendship, advancing disarmament and promoting peace conferences, Ma said.
He claimed this was the wish of Alfred Nobel, who initiated the Nobel Prizes.
Ma said Liu was a criminal sentenced by Chinese judicial authorities for violating the law.
"What he has done is contrary to the purpose of the Nobel Peace Prize," he said.
The Nobel committee's decision to award such a person the prize ran contrary to the prize's purpose, he said.
China and Norway have enjoyed a sound development of bilateral ties in recent years. Ma said this was conducive to the fundamental interests of the two countries and their people. Awarding Liu the Nobel Peace Prize might harm ties, he said.
Xinhua

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
The value and validity of the Nobel Peace Prize was diminished when it awarded to to the terrorist Yasser Arafat. It was further diminished - by omission - when it was awarded to Gorbachev but not Reagan.

And it lost all its credibility when the greatest con-man in human history, Al Gore won it. The fact that it was also awarded - with absolutely no recognizable achievement to Barack Obama - just proves that objectivity and fairness plays no role, whatsoever in the award. Might as well call it PISS Prize.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Last year it was given to Obama because people expected him to do something, not because he had done anything.

I would say the value of it is approaching zero, so why bother worrying about it.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Last year it was given to Obama because people expected him to do something, not because he had done anything.

I would say the value of it is approaching zero, so why bother worrying about it.

That was just as idiotic as awarding the Stanley Cup to the Toronto Maple Leafs would have been, before the first game of the regular season.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That was just as idiotic as awarding the Stanley Cup to the Toronto Maple Leafs would have been, before the first game of the regular season.

I think the Toronto newspapers do this every fall.

When I was having some work done in my house last year, the service guys asked if I was a hockey fan. "No," I replied, "but I am a Leafs fan." They laughed so hard, they had to take a break.