Another Dog Biting Incident

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
I'm getting tired of hearing about dog biting incidents, in public. The solution is simple, a muzzle. In Germany and other parts of Eastern Europe, dogs are allowed virtually everywhere, including restaurants, and all forms of public transportation. All that is required, is the animal be muzzled, if the animal measures 10 inches or taller. Not just a nylon muzzle with Velcro strap, that's garbage. I'm talking about a welded wire mesh muzzle with the spacing being such that it allows the animal to drink, but doesn't allow it to pick up something off the ground or bite. I don't care how well "Trained", a dog is, they are still independent creatures with their own tolerances, likes and dislikes. If you accidentally step on a dogs' paw, it can't tell you to "Take a hike",(I'm being polite), so it reacts. A muzzle law should be legislated, the only thing standing in it's way, are all the bleeding hearts who think it's cruel. Instead of introducing a common sense law, the gov't rather tie up the court system with law suits that are totally preventable, and therefore frivolous. In this situation, I think common sense has gone totally out the window.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
That nylon muzzle with Velcro strap is what I use. My dog has never worn it
(in place) for more than a maximum of two minutes or so....

I use it when passing through certain crowds that can't be avoided, etc...and
that's about it. It makes people in a crowd feel more comfortable, but my dog
can remove that muzzle himself with about 10 seconds of work, at any time,
whenever he feels the need to. Most folks don't know this though....

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
An edit to my original post, The muzzles I speak of are breed and sex specific. Taylor made you might say. So no working it off in 10 seconds, the strap is leather with a buckle system, like a common men's belt.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know what you're talking about. I use the cheap (but size 8 ) muzzle, just to make
people feel more comfortable. It's more for show, but not really effective at all. I
know if my dog is removing it, and it gives me a few seconds to decide whether
or not to let him.

The O.P. is describing this, I believe:

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
I'm getting tired of hearing about dog biting incidents, in public. The solution is simple, a muzzle. In Germany and other parts of Eastern Europe, dogs are allowed virtually everywhere, including restaurants, and all forms of public transportation. All that is required, is the animal be muzzled, if the animal measures 10 inches or taller. Not just a nylon muzzle with Velcro strap, that's garbage. I'm talking about a welded wire mesh muzzle with the spacing being such that it allows the animal to drink, but doesn't allow it to pick up something off the ground or bite. I don't care how well "Trained", a dog is, they are still independent creatures with their own tolerances, likes and dislikes. If you accidentally step on a dogs' paw, it can't tell you to "Take a hike",(I'm being polite), so it reacts. A muzzle law should be legislated, the only thing standing in it's way, are all the bleeding hearts who think it's cruel. Instead of introducing a common sense law, the gov't rather tie up the court system with law suits that are totally preventable, and therefore frivolous. In this situation, I think common sense has gone totally out the window.
no cause that is cruel if yuo need to use a mussle on your dog... than you shouldn't have your dog out in public dogs need to learn how to act. and that by there owners. a dog has a right to defend himself. this is Candida/American this is not eruope

miniboss

Electoral Member
Jan 4, 2007
That's right, a dog does have the right to defend itself, unfortunately, the result is the problem this post is about. People still insist on walking their dogs in public, so all I'm suggesting is to eliminate the problem, is that so bad? Also, it's not just about biting, people have poisoned dogs with food and such things, the style of muzzle I was talking about would prevent that from happening.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
That's right, a dog does have the right to defend itself, unfortunately, the result is the problem this post is about. People still insist on walking their dogs in public, so all I'm suggesting is to eliminate the problem, is that so bad? Also, it's not just about biting, people have poisoned dogs with food and such things, the style of muzzle I was talking about would prevent that from happening.
well ususally when someone walks there dog in public its there job to keep there dog under control. that there job, as where can you go for a private walk? your yard is not big enough if your going into public not to metion these dogs need to see other people. when you see a dog. walking here some tips. let teh DOG SNIFF YOU FIRST. no MATTER what the owner SAYS. there is no problem other than owners faliing might as well ban people with dogs., how do you get a dog posioned? your not trying to elimiate or fix the problem. the problem is the people who own the dog.

i have taken my dogs out more than once. one of my dogs bit the next door nehiboor food, at night in this yard. yet when i took him out. two kids wanted to pet him. and he didn't do anything to them. the liutte boy goes he has a cold noise" it was funny. and before that i also let a place were they watch kids bet the dog through the fence. tehy love to see him.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I would feel very sorry for all dogs having to put up with a muzzle while walking
out in public.

Dogs become uncomfortable and also embarrassed at having a big cumbersome thing tied
around their muzzles, I would think they would rather stay home, and not wear it.

People must learn how to leash their dogs properly, then, how to properly use the leash
while walking beside their dog, (not 8 feet away from their dog).
When you pass others on the sidewalk, or anywhere, have the dog right at your leg, leash
shortened to keep him there, and always be aware of what your dog is doing, and how he
is feeling.

Big dogs should always be walked with a choke collar on, (put on properly),
which makes handling him much easier, but it shouldn't be kept tight unless one has
to 'control' the dog for a few seconds.

If someone's dog has any tendency to become aggressive, they should not be walked at any
time, on a leash, in public. Wearing a muzzle will not stop the dog from being aggressive,
or trying to bite, even if he can't.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
People must learn how to leash their dogs properly, then, how to properly use the leash
When you pass others on the sidewalk, or anywhere, have the dog right at your leg, leash
shortened to keep him there, and always be aware of what your dog is doing, and how he
is feeling.

Oh....those "Pocket Fisherman" type leashes.....with a plastic handle, where
someone can press a button and their dog has about 20ft of line between
the person & the animal. Trippy.

For my big dog, I use a 24 inch leash. It works very well. When we meet
another person on a sidewalk, before that happens, I step out into the
parking lane with my dogs leaving the sidewalk for whomever else is
on it while I keep walking. I steer back up onto the sidewalk when
we've passed whomever is on the sidewalk. That's just common
courtesy and makes other people feel comfortable. I do use a
muzzle for the times when that isn't possible, but only for the
duration of that passing. Like I'd mentioned above, I believe
the longest my big dog has ever worn his muzzle is about
a maximum of maybe two minutes. That's it.

Every dog will have "triggers" for reactive behavior. Sometimes it is an
exterior thing like other dogs, etc....and others will be from the Handler
himself. Dogs are fantastic at reading body language that a Handler
doesn't even realize that they're broadcasting, but is loud and clear
to a dog.

I have a dog that doesn't like wheels. That's his trigger. That would
involve skateboards, lawnmowers, etc...except baby-strollers, as he
loves babies and understands that baby-strollers contain babies, but
he didn't always know that. It takes lots of time to discover these
triggers and either socialize beyond them or work around them,
but always being aware of them.

I have an issue with bicycles on sidewalks, and though I try not to
broadcast that via body language to my dogs, they pick it up and react
to that in a negative manner. The same goes with Hookers & Junkies
and Pimps and Panhandlers. The dogs read my aversion and adjust
their behavior accordingly.

Knowing that, I avoid those situations to avoid having the dogs react to
my personal dislikes and biases when possible....and always walk my
dogs like I operate a vehicle (eyes up and scanning about a 1/2 a block
ahead), being aware of my surroundings.

Animal handlers being in tune with the dogs in their care, and being aware
of their surroundings, would eliminate most of the "dog bite" stories that
we hear of in the news.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I am willing to bet that the dogs who bite people (provoked and/or unprovoked) have never spent a single minute in a leash-free dog park, municipally maintained on any fair sized copmmunity in Canada.

I take my two doggies there every day, because it is much better for me and them than walking on the street, confined with a leash. (The dogs on the leash, that is!)

A happy dog - and I have yet to see a miserable or angry one in a dog park - would never turn on an other dog, or especially a human.

My doggies. The third person in the picture is my wife.

C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\2007_04_15

my doggies:

My doggies:

Last edited by a moderator:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I am willing to bet that the dogs who bite people (provoked and/or unprovoked) have never spent a single minute in a leash-free dog park, municipally maintained on any fair sized copmmunity in Canada.

I take my two doggies there every day, because it is much better for me and them than walking on the street, confined with a leash. (The dogs on the leash, that is!)

A happy dog - and I have yet to see a miserable or angry one in a dog park - would never turn on an other dog, or especially a human.

my doggies:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
they are great places to take the 'right' dogs, but i'm sure those who feel nervous about
how their own dogs behave in a group of dogs/people stay away from those parks, and they
should.
And, yes it's still the fault of the dog owner for 'not' training their dog properly, but
many just don't do that, and their dogs are full of bad habits, so, keep your dogs home,
or walk them on a short leash, when out in public.
Many of 'those' particular dog owners, are slaves to their dogs, and don't portray any
assertive behavior, and the dogs control the house, and the owner is frustrated, blames
the dog, and 'JUST DOESN'T GET IT', thinks the dog should behave perfectly automatically,
but it doesn't work that, just as it doesn't with your children.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg

my doggies:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
they are great places to take the 'right' dogs, but i'm sure those who feel nervous about
how their own dogs behave in a group of dogs/people stay away from those parks, and they
should.
And, yes it's still the fault of the dog owner for 'not' training their dog properly, but
many just don't do that, and their dogs are full of bad habits, so, keep your dogs home,
or walk them on a short leash, when out in public.
Many of 'those' particular dog owners, are slaves to their dogs, and don't portray any
assertive behavior, and the dogs control the house, and the owner is frustrated, blames
the dog, and 'JUST DOESN'T GET IT', thinks the dog should behave perfectly automatically,
but it doesn't work that, just as it doesn't with your children.
tallola, while I agree with your opinion that the owner is ulimately responsible for the behaviour of their dogs, it just proves my point that all dogs are the "right" dogs with proper training, with the proper owner. Unfortunately, there are far too many of those owners to whom an impressive pure bred dog is a status symbol.

As a dog owner for the last forty years I can attest that a dog properly socialized to interact with people and other dogs, will not give a responsible owner any reason for concern. And the ONLY way they acquire that socialization is in a leash-free dog park.

I am a firm believer of leash-free dog parks. When a puppy of - let's say six weeks - is taken there, he will quickly learn to respect his elders, and all those around him, including humans.

In my opinion, no dog should ever be deprived the happiness that I saw my dogs display in a dog park.

BTW, sorry for my messed up post. I tried to send a picture of Quigley (chessie) and Daisy (lemon beagle) along with my wife (brunette lady), but somehow it did not work. I still can't see the "pencil" mentioned so many of you, which would enable my to edit/correct my posts.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Wouldn't work on one of our dogs. His neck is bigger than his head. He'd have the muzzle off in short order. Can't keep a collar on him without him choking.

I found the best thing to do is develop trust between me and dogs. I should be able to trust my dogs to not do certain things and for my dogs to trust me to keep them from feeling threatened. It takes a little training.

And I never approach a dog I do not know. I let them approach me.

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I would feel very sorry for all dogs having to put up with a muzzle while walking
out in public.

Dogs become uncomfortable and also embarrassed at having a big cumbersome thing tied
around their muzzles, I would think they would rather stay home, and not wear it.

is feeling.

Big dogs should always be walked with a choke collar on, (put on properly),
which makes handling him much easier, but it shouldn't be kept tight unless one has
to 'control' the dog for a few seconds.

If someone's dog has any tendency to become aggressive, they should not be walked at any
time, on a leash, in public. Wearing a muzzle will not stop the dog from being aggressive,
or trying to bite, even if he can't.

I'm no dog pshycologist but I'm willing to bet they no more are "embarrassed" by a muzzle than they are 'remourseful' for biting something.

The need for a choke collar reflects on how poorly trained the owner is in handling the dog. And while I agree that if you haven't been trained properly in how to control your dog a muzzle will not stop him/her from being agressive, but at least no one or someone elses pet will get harmed if they can't be bitten.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
This is the moment that armed police officers shot dead a crazed dog after it mauled a pensioner to death in his back garden in the Clubmoor area of Liverpool on Saturday night.

As the bloodied body of 79-year-old Clifford Clarke lies in his back garden, a police officer takes aim at the killer dog over the fence.

With the officer training his gun on the vicious animal, other police officers nervously keep an eye on a second dog in a different back garden.

As the killer dog circles the Army veteran's body, the armed officer eventually gets a clear shot. Eyewitnesses say he fired two shots, killing the beast instantly.

Dramatic: This is the moment an armed police officer shoots a crazed dog which had mauled pensioner Clifford Clarke to death in his own back garden

Horrific: The out-of-control dog was shot dead by the police officer as the 79-year-old's bloodied body lay on the ground nearby

Billy Broomfield, speaking to the Daily Mirror, said: 'They fired two shots and one of the dogs was dead. The second shrunk back and they later caught it.'

It is thought the two dogs escaped from another garden through a hole in a fence before one of them mauled the pensioner, who had nipped into his back garden to have a break from cooking dinner.

The owners of the dog – two women, 27 and 28 – were arrested on suspicion of manslaughter then released on bail pending further inquiries.

Victim: Clifford Clarke, 79, died in his back garden in Clubmoor, Liverpool, on Saturday night after he was mauled by a dog

The family of Mr Clarke told of their shock and heartbreak at his death at 9pm on Saturday in the Clubmoor district of Liverpool, and called for tougher laws for animal owners.

The dog which killed the pensioner was a bullmastiff crossed with either a Presa Canario or a bandog.

Neighbours say one of the dogs jumped at the retired hospital porter as he stepped out of his back door.

The dog’s jaws clamped round one of Mr Clarke’s limbs and dragged him to the ground where he was bitten a number of times.

Neighbours heard his screams and rushed to the three-bedroom terraced house. One of them armed himself with a golf club and tried to beat the animal away from the pensioner.

After killing the dog, it took three police officers to carry its body away.

Neighbour Paul McGlynn, 46, said: ‘I heard his screams – it was horrible. He seemed in a lot of pain.

‘The neighbour tried to beat them back but it was too late.’

Police at the scene removing the dog, that was shot dead by armed police, from the house in Clubmoor

Powerful: A Staffordshire bull terrier crossed with a bull mastiff

Mr Clarke, who joined the Army in 1954 for National Service, had celebrated his 79th birthday the day before the attack.

One friend Susan Carson, 60, who lives across the road in the quiet cul-de-sac, said: ‘He came round for a cup of tea at mine just before he died. He called me afterwards to say he had burnt his tongue but said, “I’ll be OK”.’

She added: ‘He’s lived in that house all his life and told us that he had been born there. It is awful for him to die in such a senseless way right in his own garden.’

Police said the dog attacked the pensioner in the garden of his home in Clubmoor, Liverpool, just before 8.40pm on Saturday

Richard Kelly Close, in Clubmoor, is around three miles from Liverpool city centre

Last edited: