Way Overpriced CFL Stadium For Halifax Proposed

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Here it states a new CFL stadium for Halifax would cost $50 to 100 million.

CFL moves closer to Down East dream - The Globe and Mail

Yet here it states that Empire Field in Vancouver cost $14 million to build. It is done and it works for the BC Lions. It is temporary, but with upkeep it would likely last 25 years. The white cover around it is ugly though.

Updated: Empire Field turf, concessions, even Lions? honour ring ready to go

It appears with a new stadium like Empire Field, Halifax mighrt be able to support a CFL team. Those "international" consultants like to jack the price up for the rubes. And the eastern media just eats it up. The price of being global.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Yes but you forget the Lions will be there for a short time as the province is
putting new room on the Lions ball park and the bill for that is more than the
cost of the entire stadium for Halifax. This is only speculation and New
Brunswick is also looking for a team. I think if we cancel a few more hip
operations it should be possible to build.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
that $14 mil stadium is not fully functional. it has stands but there's no permanent washrooms, the dressings rooms are not built in the stadium either.

so add some more money into it to include those.. then you have to take into fact concessions, box seats.. etc.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
that $14 mil stadium is not fully functional. it has stands but there's no permanent washrooms, the dressings rooms are not built in the stadium either.

so add some more money into it to include those.. then you have to take into fact concessions, box seats.. etc.

Empire field could put in a few bathrooms etc, the cost would be minimal. Those are minor things, the structure is fine.

Box seats for the CFL? It's not the NHL, NBA or NFL.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
Empire field could put in a few bathrooms etc, the cost would be minimal. Those are minor things, the structure is fine.

Box seats for the CFL? It's not the NHL, NBA or NFL.

shows how little you know and understand the CFL.

every city has got box seats for CFL games.

Esks have it, Stamps, Riders, Bombers.. Argo's. I think the Als are the only team currently that doesn't. but that's just how it goes but I may be wrong.

Box seats are important becauase of the Corporate sponsorship and deals.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
For the record, the linked news report is about a stadium in Moncton, NB..... not Halifax, NS.

Which explains why I never heard anything about this..... the only project in the works here in Halifax that I'm aware of is a new World Trade Centre to replace the smaller and older one we have.

Though many around here have been complaining about not having some sort of decent stadium for the Hali area, since the closest thing we got is the Metro Centre, which is also too old and too small to do much with these days.

And when it comes to football coming here, most of the time when it's something big, it has to be held at Saint Marys University.... which still isn't the best field.

And when it comes to concerts, since the Metro Centre is too small for big named concerts and artists, they have to hold them on the Commons, which is a pretty good spot with lots of space...... pretty good so long as it doesn't dump buckets of rain during the concert.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
For the record, the linked news report is about a stadium in Moncton, NB..... not Halifax, NS.

Which explains why I never heard anything about this..... the only project in the works here in Halifax that I'm aware of is a new World Trade Centre to replace the smaller and older one we have.

Though many around here have been complaining about not having some sort of decent stadium for the Hali area, since the closest thing we got is the Metro Centre, which is also too old and too small to do much with these days.

And when it comes to football coming here, most of the time when it's something big, it has to be held at Saint Marys University.... which still isn't the best field.

And when it comes to concerts, since the Metro Centre is too small for big named concerts and artists, they have to hold them on the Commons, which is a pretty good spot with lots of space...... pretty good so long as it doesn't dump buckets of rain during the concert.

I still believe Moncton is a better place for it. closer to everywhere else.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I think it would be worth the money. The feds should throw in. The only time sports stadiums become white elephants is when they build these horrid, multi-purpose, indoor concrete monstrosities.. like the Rogers Centre (formerly Skydome), or Montreal's Olympic Stadium.. or i have to say GM Place in Vancouver.

Halifax could economize by not going to artificial turf, which detracts from the experience and ruins players knees, and building a bare bones stadium without luxury suites or elaborate facilities underneath. I think the Soccer Stadium in Toronto cost about $60mm, which would provide a good model.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
...not Halifax...Moncton. And some Canadians have the gall to belittle the geographic knowledge of Americans? Is Halifax seriously the only city that anyone in Canada west of Montreal can name?

I think Moncton would do well. Though the Cobequid pass (and the Tantramar marsh...) can be a nightmare in winter driving conditions. Though most games would be played before the hellish snow really comes, and playoff games are on a weekend. It would be great to have a CFL team in the Maritimes, would help for developing the sport here.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Yeah, it's 2 hrs, maybe 2.5 from hfx to moncton. It's a nice central location with good road access from most directions.
God knows, people from hfx can find Moncton easily enough for the summer concerts, there's no reason they couldn't find football there.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The stadium for the Lions will go back to the main venue
when the roof is fixed so the present outlet is just another
waste of money. As for the east, I can name several
cities in the Maritimes. Moncton is being touted as the
city to beat, but Halifax is more in keeping with the elite's
vision of the CFL