Druidry to be classed as religion

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
2 October 2010 Last updated at 09:41 ET
Druidry to be classed as religion by Charity Commission

Druidry is flourishing more now than at any time since the arrival of Christianity to Britain
Druidry is to become the first pagan practice to be given official recognition as a religion.
The Charity Commission has accepted that druids' worship of natural spirits could be seen as religious activity.
The Druid Network's charitable status entitles it to tax breaks, but the organisation says it does not earn enough to benefit from this.
The commission says the network's work in promoting druidry as a religion is in the public interest.
The move comes thousands of years after the first druids worshipped in Britain.

more on this story: BBC News - Druidry to be classed as religion by Charity Commission

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
When did stop being a religion?
When the Christians wiped them out? Or was it the Romans? I have a feeling it has been underground for a long time. Christianity did borrow some stuff from them though, like turning Gaia into Mother Marie mother of god and probably some of their rituals.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
When the Christians wiped them out? I have a feeling it has been underground for a long time.

I think his point was that it didn't stop being a religion just because it was an underground one. Its history is marked all over the UK, and it's called a religion whenever things like Stone Henge are discussed historically.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I agree that it is a valid religion because of its doctrines and ritualism. Frankly, I'm surprised people haven't recognized it as such before.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hinduism goes back to at least 7500 years ago and is as vibrant as ever.

and people still worship Zeus too.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
That's mighty charitable of the Charity Commission. Since when did religions have to be given permission to be religions from a government organization? Is this something peculiar to Britain or does Canada have similar laws?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There was a time when I was broke and needed some cash, thought I'd start a religion, but then I thought, I couldn't live with myself fleecing the flock (bull****ting them out of their hard earned cash). I just can't think of anything more egocentric than setting oneself up as leader of sheeple. I think TV evangelists are the lowest form of con artists.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There was a time when I was broke and needed some cash, thought I'd start a religion, but then I thought, I couldn't live with myself fleecing the flock (bull****ting them out of their hard earned cash). I just can't think of anything more egocentric than setting oneself up as leader of sheeple. I think TV evangelists are the lowest form of con artists.

Lower than politicians? At least the bible thumpers have some entertainment value.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

You have my full agreement there.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Lower than politicians? At least the bible thumpers have some entertainment value.

I would have to say yes - televangelists are lower than politicians. At least most politicians started out with the idea of trying to help others. None of the con artists who claim to speak to god have ever had anything on their minds other than sucking as much cash as possible out of those who form their congregations.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Does anybody here know anything about the druids. From my limited knowledge, I think they were quite similar to the native American spirituality. I should know more since the Celtics are part of my ancestry.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually Star Trek is a religion in Canada. When the census reaches a
specific number, I think it 250 thousand in Canada. I can't remember
where I got the figure from except during the last big census there was
a drive to make it a religion so I signed on, that was some time back and
I don't remember not that important. Actually some friends of mine and I
decided a while back to worship the number 17 as the perfect number
don't ask why, we had too many beer at the time but we have stayed
with it. Our national day of prayer is March 17, yes St Patrick's Day and
we all know what the Irish do on Patties Day now don't we.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
According to who Cliffy? If you ask some people they were just pagan priests who used supserstition to rule and extort money and favours. If you talk to some Christians, they were the ruling class who tried to snuff out Christianity and dreamt up numerous tortures to attempt to crush them. If you talk to Pagans they were a bunch of fuzzy peace loving bunnies that Christians stomped on gleefully.

From what I have seen from my readings, their 'religion' was one of flux, somewhat arbitrary, as it was applied as it suited its practitioners and its time. I don't know what neo-Druidism's views are.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
According to who Cliffy? If you ask some people they were just pagan priests who used supserstition to rule and extort money and favours. If you talk to some Christians, they were the ruling class who tried to snuff out Christianity and dreamt up numerous tortures to attempt to crush them. If you talk to Pagans they were a bunch of fuzzy peace loving bunnies that Christians stomped on gleefully.

From what I have seen from my readings, their 'religion' was one of flux, somewhat arbitrary, as it was applied as it suited its practitioners and its time. I don't know what neo-Druidism's views are.
It appears that many of the negative myths about early druidism may have been started by Christian monks during their transcription of ancient tales of the druids.
Beliefs, practices, symbols and celebrations of Celtic Druidism

Little is really known of the early druids as theirs was an oral tradition that survives mostly in song and stories. It is known that the early church used many of their gods and goddesses, sacred places and temples, converting them into saints and cathedrals.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The old Druids were the fathers of those peace loving Celts,
you know the Picks and the Scott's. Now before some get
up in arms they were my ancestors too. There is nothing
more peaceful that an Irish lad with too many beer we all
know that, and the Romans were no match for the Scott's
who just kept on fighting until their time came. As time has
a way of sorting things out. The Christians were there to
completely demolish any group that opposed them, be it
Druid. Muslim, or any other group throughout history. I
think religion and ultimate peace, the two words are
incompatible

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This pretty much says it all for me.... " They performed the functions of modern day priests, teachers, ambassadors, astronomers, genealogists, philosophers, musicians, theologians, scientists, poets and judges."

They were a society like any other, full of people like any other. Rarely are the leaders of any society benign.

Keep in mind too, you know more about the druids than you think you do. You've likely had a winter celebration with evergreen trees, lights, gifts, and feasting. Most likely celebrated Halloween. Most likely eaten eggs at Oester. Likely heard of people celebrating the solstice (friends of mine throw a huge music festival up north for summer solstice).