Terrified schoolgirl, 9, has top lip ripped off by dog after it heard barking on her

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
"
A terrified schoolgirl had her top lip torn off by a dog as she played with a computer game.
Megan Walker's family say a friend’s bull mastiff cross went berserk when it heard barking on a Nintendo DS game.
It dragged Megan, nine, off a sofa as she played the virtual pet puppy game Nintendogs.
The dog sank its teeth into her face, bit her several times and ripped off her top lip.
Quick-thinking police officers put the piece of lip on ice and surgeons were able to sew it back on.
'I think this game should carry some kind of warning,' said the girl’s grandma Jean Taylor.
'People should be told not to play it when there are dogs in the room. I blame the game for what happened to Megan. If they hadn’t been playing it I don’t think the dog would have gone for her.'
Megan was playing at a friend’s house in Bolton when the accident happened. The dog, named Saracen, has since been put down.
Megan was taken by ambulance to Manchester Children’s Hospital, where doctors managed to re-attach the lip.
Megan was in the care of her grandmother, Jean Taylor, while her mother Leanne Walker, aged 34, was on holiday in Jamaica for her birthday.
Mrs Taylor, aged 58, had allowed her granddaughter to stay at Ms Melville’s house, as she is friends with her daughters.
Megan, a pupil at St James’ Primary School, had woken up and was turning on the game station at around 10am on Sunday, September 19, while Saracen was asleep on a mattress in the living of the house.
St James’ Primary School pupil Megan said: 'When I woke up I turned on the Nintendo. It barked and Saracen dragged me off the couch by my foot. I was scared.'
When she realised that Megan was being attacked, Ms Melville started kicking him and her second pet dog, named Zena, also attacked Saracen in a bid to save the child.

Mrs Taylor said one of Ms Melville’s daughters ran to get her as she only lives a minute up the road and then she and Megan’s 14-year-old sister Sophie ran to help.
'When I saw her I went hysterical. She just had a dirty rag over her face. I just said ‘where’s her lip?’ It was horrible, the worse thing I have ever seen in my life,' said Mrs Taylor.
'The police went in the house and found the lip and brought it up to the hospital on ice.'
Megan was in surgery for two hours and spent five days in hospital. It is hoped that her lip will heal, though doctors will have a better idea when they take her bandage off on Wednesday.
Mrs Taylor said: 'Hopefully the surgery has worked or she could have to have more plastic surgery down the line. She’s been so brave. She didn’t cry once.'
She said that her daughter, who is still on holiday, knew about the incident but probably didn’t realise just how bad it had been.
Inspector Phil Spurgeon said: 'This was a really nasty incident but one which falls outside of the law. The dog in question was not a banned breed and the incident happened in a private address, not in public.
'The owner signed the dog over for destruction and it has now been put down by a vet.'
Ms Melville was unavailable for comment, but it is understood that she told police that Megan may have kicked Saracen and that is why he attacked her.
No one from Nintendo was available for comment.

Read more: Girl's lip torn off by dog which heard barking on her Nintendo DS | Mail Online

Why can't people taker repsoblities for there mistakes? hum... lets blame teh gas company for my gas running out since i didn't feel it up all the way.

i am going to sue the news for getting me depress now emotional distress

first of this is a handheld system that is not a computer game.

How about watch kids and dogs supervison? how about.... thinking of going into another room where you can closed the door. how about... teaching the dog right or wrong manners. putting the dog was just as bad as animal cutlery.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yeah, dogs should come with warnings, not games. if it is unbalanced enough to eat her face because of a nintendo game, I doubt nintendo's to blame.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
Karrie how about kids come with warnings on and gaming message site the cops say that... the girl kick the dog to get the dog off her... which is likey countuine the attack.

btw you do know i agree with you right? first time for something ;)

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Oh that's ugly. I love my Dogs, but I'd put a bullet in their heads so quickly if
something like that was to happen. From the time my big dog was the size
of a shoe, I socialized the crap out'a him in as many different situations as
I could think of, and through much play/training...tought him to only ever
grab someone (in play or something more) by the right forearm.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire

Oh that's ugly. I love my Dogs, but I'd put a bullet in their heads so quickly if something like that was to happen. From the time my big dog was the size
of a shoe, I socialized the crap out'a him in as many different situations as
I could think of, and through much play/training...tought him to only ever
grab someone (in play or something more) by the right forearm.

Now it matters what excatly tick the dog off. by sister has been bitten by a dog before but she has two rottweiler at my mom house and three yellow labs at my dad house. If you had to do something i would hope you would of let the dog be destory or utilized for safety. i don't like animal curlety which i do consider this in this case. ask they jump the gun.

you are suppose to social your dog. that be like putting my harley yellow lab to sleep since he bit the people next door to my dad. But it was late at night, he had food our dogs love food, and he was protecting the yard. now there afraid of them....

also ron i been grooming dog since 11 and 12 grade in high school, i had my teacher dog nip at me... but that cause zoey is afarid of guys. had a dog growl at me when trying to groom the dog. i couldn't do much that a huge warning and what i did is put a notice in the dog file saying "dog does not like guys" girls are just fine with it. Most of been abuse or something. i had dogs jump on me lick me. sit on me.... and cry cause i am not right beside him (well harley) lol. I also walk another dog who at first bark at me but nice she loves me.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I meant, with respect to the scenario described in the Opening Post, where an
unprovoked attack upon a child occurs, leading to permanent disfigurement or
worse. There's no wiggle room or second guesses in that situation.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
:angry1: Bullmastiff. Says it all. Every home should have at least two.:angry2:

Just a face ripoff waiting to happen.

If you check out the breed size for the Bull Mastiff here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullmastiff

Males should be 25 to 27 inches (63 to 69 cm) tall (AKC Std.) at the withers and 110 to 130
pounds (50 to 59 kg). Females should be 24 to 26 inches (61 to 66 cm) at the withers, and
100 to 120 pounds (45 to 54 kg). Exceeding these dimensions is discouraged by breeders
as a larger dog may be too cumbersome to be agile enough to properly perform the job for
which the breed was created.

You'll see that the normal breed size range is smaller than the black dog in the pic's above.
Don't knock the breed, but the dogs owner for a lack of time & effort in training a large dog.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
No matter how good and trained a dog is, never leave one alone with kids.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
why anyone would leave two unpredictable animals alone in a room together is beyond me. And kids ARE just as unpredictable as a dog. No matter how well you trained your dog, you can't account for the things kids can do to them.

lobar

Oct 3, 2010
:angry1: Bullmastiff. Says it all. Every home should have at least two.:angry2:

Just a face ripoff waiting to happen.

Bull Mastiffs and English Mastiffs are calm, loyal breeds. They are not known to be violent. This was a very unfortunate accident. You may be thinking of pit bulls or bull dogs. They are known for being aggressive. The dog in the story very likely felt threatened by the barking on the video game. I don't believe that is the game's fault and it could not have been predicted to happen if the dog had not previously exibited aggressive behaviour (not mentioned in the story).

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I had a huge Malamute-Wolf cross. It was very submissive and often scared of its own shadow. One day we left it alone in a room with a pumpkin as the dog rested all smiley. When I came back there was nothing left of the pumpkin except scraps all over the carpet, walls and ceiling. I thought I knew the dog well and never expected that. From that day forward I was especially cautious.

lobar

Oct 3, 2010
I agree, caution is always best. But to assume this breed is dangerous is unfair. They are very docile normally. This accident was a freak thing. Some animals have triggers... this dog, a video game, yours, a pumpkin :) Always best to supervise if possible. Plus this wasn't her dog so that may also be a factor. The dog may have been confused by the game/barking and thought she was another dog attacking him (sounds dumb, but animals are still animals).

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
I agree, caution is always best. But to assume this breed is dangerous is unfair. They are very docile normally. This accident was a freak thing. Some animals have triggers... this dog, a video game, yours, a pumpkin :) Always best to supervise if possible. Plus this wasn't her dog so that may also be a factor. The dog may have been confused by the game/barking and thought she was another dog attacking him (sounds dumb, but animals are still animals).

that can easily be said to pitbulls and rotwillers there sweet dogs if train correctly and watch. even my dog harley gets away with so many things... in front of my dad and his gf... they fail to keep an eye on him. or any other dog for that matter.

Harley is a yellow lab but still i catch him doing things he shouldn't i caught other dogs what they shouldn't be doing either. yet why am i the only doing something about it? a shame...

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
If you check out the breed size for the Bull Mastiff here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullmastiff

Males should be 25 to 27 inches (63 to 69 cm) tall (AKC Std.) at the withers and 110 to 130
pounds (50 to 59 kg). Females should be 24 to 26 inches (61 to 66 cm) at the withers, and
100 to 120 pounds (45 to 54 kg). Exceeding these dimensions is discouraged by breeders
as a larger dog may be too cumbersome to be agile enough to properly perform the job for
which the breed was created.

You'll see that the normal breed size range is smaller than the black dog in the pic's above.
Don't knock the breed, but the dogs owner for a lack of time & effort in training a large dog.

nope, sorry Ron; you and i have to agree to disagree here. I have no love or trust of any of the olde breede dogges who were used for war work or pit fighting, estate guarding, years or centuries ago. The attack potential has never been bred out of them, and every year one hears of kids being injured or killed by them.

Any dog can attack and bite of course, but these can do extreme damage in a very short length of time.

All that being said, the owners are responsible in the final analysis, but, too often, escape punishment or responsibility by blaming something the victim did - moving too fast - blah blah blah.

Just MHO. 2 cents, or whatever.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd leave my kids alone with my neighbour's mastiff before I'd leave them alone with the other neighbours' chihuahua. Sure, they might get bruised up from the mastiff knocking them down (she's a dumb puppy who loves everyone too much), but, the chihuahua is violent and nasty, yet they keep it because 'it's no danger'. I try not to look by breed alone.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I'd leave my kids alone with my neighbour's mastiff before I'd leave them alone with the other neighbours' chihuahua. Sure, they might get bruised up from the mastiff knocking them down (she's a dumb puppy who loves everyone too much), but, the chihuahua is violent and nasty, yet they keep it because 'it's no danger'. I try not to look by breed alone.

Awww, you just said that cause you seen my avatar.

Our Chi. doesn't like strange kids. Being that most of them are strange, she don't like most. Till they spend 5 min. with her, then she loves em.

But, yer right. Most small dogs don't like the stumbly stuff kids do, and feel threatened, and will bite. Then again, some big doggies are like that too.

Dunno when i last heard about 2 chihuahuas tearing a kid apart. Happens a lot with rotties and the like, but that's probably the fault of the owners also.

Good luck with the mastiff if it gets pissed. Explain to your kid that it's not really your fault she now has no ear and only half a nose.

Sometimes you're too smart by half.