She's a Trouble-Maker Campbell government wants to lock her up and throw away the key

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Good plan. Should have done it years ago. I can think of a few other protesters that suck of the taxpayer and then protest our working that should join her.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That's insane. The 'habitual criminal' label is for habitual violent offenders, not protestors who annoy the government.

Anyone involved in this should resign.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
That's insane. The 'habitual criminal' label is for habitual violent offenders, not protestors who annoy the government.

Anyone involved in this should resign.

You should get the whole story. It is not so much that she is a protester, but that she continuously defies court orders. Judges take a dim view of this. SOmehow she thinks she is above the law so just as an example to others she gets the jail time. Otherwise what is the point in having laws?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You should get the whole story. It is not so much that she is a protester, but that she continuously defies court orders. Judges take a dim view of this. SOmehow she thinks she is above the law so just as an example to others she gets the jail time. Otherwise what is the point in having laws?

Life in prison for contempt of court?

fackeneh

Time Out
Sep 25, 2010
What’s this really all about?

There are a number of river projects on the horizon. These arise out of Independent Power Companies (IPPs) damming our rivers and selling the power to BC Hydro. (The companies don’t like to use the word “dam” and much prefer “weir”)

In order to be fully aware of what these projects are all about one must be aware of these points.

1. Far from being small operations they block up to 90% of the stream or river. To see for yourself, just go to the Ashlu project just north of Squamish. Not only do these projects kill fish by silting the river while construction is on, they permanently damage if not outright kill fish populations. As if that wasn’t bad enough, they must clear-cut large swaths of trees to build roads and erect transmission lines. They are environmental catastrophes and not only damage unto death the fish but do the same to the ecology the river sustains. The damage to wildlife is incalculable.

2. These are not little “Mom and Pop” companies but huge like Ledcor, General Electric and the Dupont Family trust.

3. BC Hydro has been compelled by the Campbell government to enter into sweetheart deals with these IPPs on a take or pay basis (Hydro pays even though it doesn’t need or use the power at double or more the export rate and 8 times more expensive than Hydro makes its own power.

4. Because the IPPs can only generate power when their rivers are high from the annual run-off, BC Hydro can’t use the power they generate. It has full reservoirs and lots of power of its own. This gives Hydro two choices – it can use the IPP power instead of their own, at 8 times the cost or they can sell it on the open market at less than ½ what they paid for it. It’s worth noting, I think, that we the citizens of BC are the only shareholders of BC Hydro and it’s us that’s getting ripped off.

5. BC Hydro is going broke according to economist Erik Andersen and can only be kept alive by raising electricity rates to industry and you and me. Hydro’s only alive on paper because it has been using an accounting procedure whereby they can take their accumulated losses, package them and say that because they are owed this money it’s not a loss but an asset!

No kidding! The BC Auditor-General in a recent report confirmed that and commanded them to change.

6. Over the years, BC Hydro has declared a very large dividend each year to our government in the hundreds of mullions of dollars. Hydro can no longer do that because of the foregoing so, guess what? They will raise your electricity bills so they have enough money to give you your dividend.

The Campbell government, looking ahead, has threatened, through the Betty Krawczyk case, draconian legal consequences to any who dare interfere with their plans.

I would call shame on them except they have demonstrated over and over again that they have no shame.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

One at a time.

She is far from dangerous, and can be charged one at a time.

Personally, I think 10 months for trespassing is outrageous.........30 days would be more in line.....and another 30 every time she breaks the law.

Crimes of conscience are a little different than those perpetuated by violent sex offenders.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I say Betty for Premier! She is a hero of the first order. Nobody today stands up for their convictions so when someone does it makes the rest of us look bad, so we cal to have her locked up. The government is attempting to demonize her because she is a threat to their unrestrained rape of this province. Gordo has got to go!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Civil Disobedience and defying court orders in the face protests is part of our society. She should of course be charged and released,
we can't allow governments to start pulling this kind of stuff or society itself would not be safe. Of course Gordon Campbell would like
nothing better than to have a police state. I don't agree with this woman that everything needs to be prevented, but it is a real stretch to
make her a habitual criminal.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Life in prison for contempt of court?

A little steep for a first or second offense, but I'd say by the third offense she's definitely not getting the picture. I'd say life in prison for sure but temper it with eligibility for parole in 15 years.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
A person cannot easily get a court order, if at all, but a corporation can. When logging activities threaten a community's water supply, they have to stand in the way of equipment but the company just gets a court order and goes ahead and destroys their water supply anyway. Something is seriously out of balance when companies have more rights under the law than humans do. If it wasn't for people like Betty, we would have no rights or freedoms at all.

I asked two plain clothed cops at a protest in the Slocan who they represented. After giving me the run around for ten minutes or so, they finally said the represent the people of Canada. I asked them who the hell they thought these people were, immigrants? I told them that, no they did not represent the people, the represented the company that was threatening their rights to clean water. They just walked away.

We need more people like Betty who are willing to fight for our rights and freedoms and to protect our environment. You can't eat money and without people like her, we would have been in full blown fascist state decades ago. But no, lock her up for being brave enough to stare down the dragon. I guess it is true, we get the government we deserve.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Something is seriously out of balance when companies have more rights under the law than humans do.
It was a ****ty idea to give corporations the same rights as persons but they have no human rights.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
The Liberal government versus Betty Krawczyk - Vancouver Sun Community of Interest

" . . Betty Krawczyk pointed out in an email to me that Mr. Brundrett, in the sentencing part of his submission, “underscored” the life sentence possibility. She summarized the effect of the crown’s submission:

“The Attorney General has accomplished two things; first, equated my repeated infractions of the law in defence of the environment for future generations to the diseased minds of pedophiles who rape their very young children …and invited the Court to consider because I am a repeat offender that I should also be declared a dangerous offender and possibly be put away for life.” . . . "

Betty Krawczyk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Category:Canadian environmentalists - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
A little steep for a first or second offense, but I'd say by the third offense she's definitely not getting the picture. I'd say life in prison for sure but temper it with eligibility for parole in 15 years.

Life in prison for contempt of court (even repeated) is a complete abuse of our justice system.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Life in prison for contempt of court (even repeated) is a complete abuse of our justice system.

Unless you are an old person it's not really "life" in prison. But maybe you are right. Maybe first offense = 14 days, 2nd offense = 6 months, 3rd offense = 2 years , 4th and further offenses = 10 years. Anyone with any brains at all will get the picture after the 2nd offense. Contempt of court has to be taken VERY seriously, otherwise our whole judicial system collapses. I know there are many instances where the "the law is a ass", but there are procedures and protocol to deal with that. These nut cases like the "environmentalists" not only have no respect for the law they also have no respect for people's safety and property. These a$$holes do things like put spikes in trees so the fallers & mill workers can lose an eye or worse. So TenPenny, it's definitely not "a complete abuse of our justice system." :smile: