Parents, Teachers Alerted After Man Approaches Student

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
Parents, Teachers Alerted After Man Approaches Student - New Hampshire News Story - WMUR Manchester

I love most of these comments that think they live in a bubble where nothing bad can happen. I can understand not want to think about it but this is reality your not in a bubble and bad things do happen.

here a comment by someone i am going to bold things i see wrong in his argument.

but first the story.

"Two towns are on alert after a high school student reported a suspicious man offered him a ride.The student said he was approached by a man driving a green, four-door sedan on Pine Ridge Drive in Candia on Monday."He refused and continued on to his home and reported the incident," said Chief Michael McGillen.Police said the suspicious person, described as a white man in his 30s, has not been found. The principal of Moore Elementary School sent a letter home to parents, urging them to talk to their children about staying safe around strangers."

cops and teachers also say report something if you think there suspicion

"yes, be alert and cautious but if there was no threatening behavior, what is the problem? my dad was the nicest guy and offered rides to everyone because he felt sorry for them having to walk. he never tried to coerce anyone into his car; simply asked if they wanted a ride. is that illegal now? and high school students can look anywhere between the ages of 9 and 25 so don't hang the guy yet."

So there many nice people out i agree with that part. But that does not mean there are nice or not. people can act and trick people easily. the student did the right thing i believe.

What i am tired of is adults acting like they got a bubble around there town.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Its a scary world out there and especially so for kids. The other day my wife called the local police after my almost 13 yr old step son said a guy pulled up beside him, as he was walking down a main street, on the way home from school, and said "I'm watching you kid!"

We think it was probably someone who was over-reacting to a recent string of car break-ins around here, but we don't know and weren't about to take chances. We called the local PD and my stepson was able to give a pretty good description of the vehicle (not so much the driver). My wife and I walked the route he takes to school and met him on the way home yesterday as well and were pleased to see a couple police cruisers making the rounds.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
There's no point in taking chances wulfie.

People stop to talk to my kids often while they're waiting for the school bus. But, being under the watchful eye of me and at least 4 other neighbours who watch out their front window and wave to my kids, I don't worry too much about a stranger walking past and talking to them. It's important for them to learn what a 'normal' stranger is. But, if anyone offered them a ride, while I might not assume they were a criminal, I would report it immediately.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
I have learned while growing up and now as an adult to just not bother to get into a conversation with children. Parents tend to get very suspicious of everything and you could get some evil looks or even a tongue lashing for something that is perfectly normal and innocent.

so why bother?

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
There's no point in taking chances wulfie.

People stop to talk to my kids often while they're waiting for the school bus. But, being under the watchful eye of me and at least 4 other neighbours who watch out their front window and wave to my kids, I don't worry too much about a stranger walking past and talking to them. It's important for them to learn what a 'normal' stranger is. But, if anyone offered them a ride, while I might not assume they were a criminal, I would report it immediately.

Thats how we felt: at best this was someone with a misguided sense of vigilantism that had targeted a kid we send to bed at 9:00 each night, so he can be up at 6:30am for school.

And I can also empathize with you, Chili. When I was single, I would rarely interact with kids outside my family/neighbours, primarily so I didn't alarm parents. I'd make the odd joke or say hi in check-out lines at the grocery store and thats about it... but I don't blame parents for being protective in this world we live in. (and I don't believe child abduction/molestation is anymore prevalent but rather that the awareness level is higher than it has ever been)

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
I have learned while growing up and now as an adult to just not bother to get into a conversation with children. Parents tend to get very suspicious of everything and you could get some evil looks or even a tongue lashing for something that is perfectly normal and innocent.

so why bother?

That may be true but this was a high school student not an adult you got to give the students prop for doing the right thing. I wouldn't of just went on my way.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

so why bother?

I think there is a distinct line, no body contact not even a pat on the back or the head. It's sad but that's just the way it is, not so much because there is a potential for evil, but more likely because some paranoid nutcases will report you to the cops. Too bad a very few pediphiles have got things so screwed up. But I wouldn't dare to suggest we hang the bastards. :lol::lol::lol::lol: