CCTV captures spooky apparition in Cumbria pub that used to be funeral parlour

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A CCTV camera has captured a spooky apparition at a pub that used to be a funeral parlour.

A white, mist-like apparition was filmed just after midnight around two weeks ago at the Wolfe Pub in Penrith, Cumbria. The apparition descends from the ceiling.

It pulsates as it moves around the pub and even appears to take on the image of a face. It then flies out through the window.

After seeing the 35-second footage, the pub's landlord, Andrew Bateman, then went to the Thomas Cook travel agents next door to examine their own CCTV images and also found evidence of spooky goings-on there, including a computer mouse moving of its own accord and a monitor switching on by itself.

Is this Casper the friendly ghost? CCTV captures spooky apparition in Cumbria pub that used to be funeral parlour

By Daily Mail Reporter
15th September 2010
Daily Mail

When a Cumbrian landlord was spooling though his CCTV footage, a chill went down his spine and he turned white, as though he had seen a ghost.

Well, Andrew Batemen, believes he had, indeed, seen a ghost. These spooky images taken from the CCTV of the pub, which used to be a funeral parlour, allow you to make up your own mind.

In a bizarre 35-second sequence, recorded in the middle of the night at The Wolfe Pub, Penrith, a Casper-the-Ghost-like ball of light is seen descending through the ceiling.

Something strange in the neighbourhood: The spooky apparition was snapped on CCTV footage just after midnight two weeks ago

Its outline pulsates as it moves around and at one point part of the shape appears to reach out and quickly move across a table as though polishing it.

The ghostly image then appears to assume the likeness of a face before disappearing through the ceiling.

Having seen the footage Mr Batemen spoke to next door travel agents Thomas Cook and, after scouring their own CCTV videos, found similar spooky happenings.

Ghost town: The apparition hovers in the corner of the pub before suddenly turning and flying out of the window - spooky!

The Thomas Cook footage, which was shot exactly a week later, shows a computer mouse move of its own accord across a desk.

The office is then bathed in a soft light as the computer monitor switches on.

Moments later a large sign falls from the shop's front window.

Likeness: The namesake character ghost in the 1995 movie Casper

Staff at the travel agent have said the building was once used as a funeral parlour.

Mr Batemen, who has run the pub for 17 years and revealed that his Patterdale terrier dog Dudley becomes fearful whenever it enters the pub, said: 'I was with a friend and we were looking at the footage from Tuesday, September 1.

'At 18 minutes past midnight the pub was in darkness.

'I was about to turn it off when my mate spotted something strange - on the screen a glowing shape came down from the ceiling into the lounge and floated around the room.

'At one point, it looked as though it were polishing tables - it seemed to pulse and then boom - it then shot off upwards through the wall and ceiling.'

He added: 'I don't believe in ghosts but this has really freaked me out. I've looked at a still of this thing as it shoots off and I'm sure that I can see a face.

'What's really strange is that something similar was going on next door. Our lounge area used to be part of next door, which I've been told was once an undertakers.

'They showed me their footage when I went in to tell them about the CCTV.

'There is nobody near the computer but it just comes on and the whole room starts to glow.

'Then it gets brighter and brighter and a big sign falls out of the front window. It's strange.'

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited: