Greenpeace claims shutdown of British-owned oil rig

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Greenpeace claims shutdown of British-owned oil rig - CTV News

Greenpeace says it has successfully halted the operations of a British-owned oil rig in a remote location about 200 kilometres off the coast of western Greenland. Four Greenpeace protesters snuck onto the Stena Don early Tuesday morning, despite the presence of a nearby Danish warship that had been following a Greenpeace ship as it made its way to the oil rig over the past 10 days.

The oil rig is owned by the Edinburgh-based Cairn Energy PLC, a company that has recently said it discovered natural gas in the area.

Greenpeace spokesperson Leila Deen said the protesters made a dash for the Stena Don just after 6 a.m. on Tuesday.

"We launched three inflatable boats, in silence, into the water and evaded what might have been a sleeping navy," Deen told CTV's Canada AM during a telephone interview from Baffin Bay, Greenland, on Wednesday morning.

Photos released by Greenpeace on Tuesday showed several climbers hanging from the underside of the oil rig's platforms.

The people who made it aboard the Stena Don are expert climbers and have managed to set up hanging tents from the rig's platform. Greenpeace said they have been equipped with enough supplies to stay there for several days.

American Sim McKenna, one of the four people aboard the Stena Don, said the climbers are hoping for continued success.

"We've got to keep the energy companies out of the Arctic and kick our addiction to oil, that's why we're going to stop this rig from drilling for as long as we can," McKenna said in a statement released by Greenpeace Tuesday.

Deen said Greenpeace has sent climbers to the oil rig to draw attention to the risks that Cairn's oil operations pose for the environment.

"The reason we've done this is because drilling here in the Arctic is very dangerous," said Deen.

Deen said the company lacks "a decent response plan" in the event of a catastrophic oil spill, such as what happened in the Gulf of Mexico this past summer.

Such a spill would be particularly disastrous in the Arctic waters at this time of year, because it potentially be "unstoppable," Deen said, with the oil spilling under the sea ice until the following spring.
These asshats should be locked up, in fact, they should have been shot out of the waters by the military vessel following them.

Here we have a complete and detailed confession of their crimes, with lame justifications for their actions, which in reality justify nothing.

Eco-Terrorism, Vandalism, Illegal Trespassing, and I imagine other crimes.....

They got a couple of clowns to climb up the rig and set up tents and have enough supplies to stay there for several days...... well if they're allowed to break the law, maybe the workers on the rig should break the law too and disregard their safety by continuing to pump oil...... or maybe just act in self-defense of their way of life and knock them out of their little tents and drop their sorry arses into the arctic water below.

I'm not a big oil supporter, but they're there legally..... these Greenpeace idiots are not and I'm so sick and damn tired of these eco-terrorists being allowed to act like it's the Wild Wild West and do whatever they damn well please based on their own self-righteous justifications and empty claims. They're not solving any problems and they're not helping anything..... they'll eventually be hauled off the rig and with any luck, charged for their crimes, the rig will continue normal operations and chances are, due to the disruption, they'll just increase production or even worse, build another rig to make up for their loss.

*clap clap*

Bravo.... bravo..... friggin morons.

If it was anybody else or any other group pulling this sort of stunt with any other type of company they have issues with, the police, SWAT or the military would have been called in and probably shot..... but because they're small minded eco-idiots, they're given a green light to do whatever the hell they want.

The ironic thing is I best those little boats they went to the rig in, as well as their big ass ship they used to get there aren't eco-friendly.

So basically they, by their own actions, harmed the environment even more...... all to gain attention like the pathetic little attention wh*res they are.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Quite frankly, I think we should let them stay there. Even if they beg to be taken away. You want to tent on a rig in the North Atlantic? Go ahead.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
How fast can a hurricane run? ...and how fast can a drill crew make a rope? If the Power Rangers want to live like testicles under a drill platform, tie the hammock tent closed and let 'em test the breeze....

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Gee, did they sail there???

Solar powered boats, wind sails, how?

Idiots.

Hypocrites

Just throw them over the side.........

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sea Sheppard runs on donations. The press they generate (and now their TV show) probably appeals to a lot of people.
People are suckers for big eyed critters.

Hippie paste
Isn't that called hash?

Reading Colpy's post, I now realize I win the award for Blond Post of the Day...
I thought you were purposely ignoring my point, because you supported them.

Would it surprise you if I told you I have donated to Greenpeace in the past? And that I wish I still could, in good conscience?

They're a group of people who take on the abuse of the sea. I respect that. I don't however respect all their tactics, nor all their campaigns. Which means I can no longer justify supporting them monetarily.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I am sympathetic to Sea Shepard's fight against whaling but I'm not comfortable with their methods, some of that being from having been on the wrong side of the ire of "eco-terrorists" in the late 90s. The people my company dealt with (and I had to inspect damage and repairs they caused) didn't act rationally at all:

- they had no data of any kind to support their claims save a few emotionally charged anecdotes
- they refused to let gov't regulators get involved to collect data to support or refute their claims
- and they actually targeted the most pro-active and responsive of the companies in the area

Now when I look at the whaling being done by the Japanese, I'm not really up to speed on what they do except that it appears to be commercial harvesting being disguised as scientific research. Other than that, I'm in the dark.

I can also look at the oil & gas industry and I know they way many of those companies work: BP's situation in the Gulf of Mexico is a result of an industry wide mind set that essentially plays the odds things won't go wrong. There are a lot of shortcuts and ommissions made to safety and environmental equipment, that shouldn't be, in the name of saving a few dollars and making middle managers look good. Thus I can see a level of validity in what these guys are doing on this rig but at the same time I think its stupid because these types of actions don't draw sympathy, just disdain for the perpetrators.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I am sympathetic to Sea Shepard's fight against whaling but I'm not comfortable with their methods, some of that being from having been on the wrong side of the ire of "eco-terrorists" in the late 90s. The people my company dealt with (and I had to inspect damage and repairs they caused) didn't act rationally at all:

- they had no data of any kind to support their claims save a few emotionally charged anecdotes
- they refused to let gov't regulators get involved to collect data to support or refute their claims
- and they actually targeted the most pro-active and responsive of the companies in the area

Now when I look at the whaling being done by the Japanese, I'm not really up to speed on what they do except that it appears to be commercial harvesting being disguised as scientific research. Other than that, I'm in the dark.

I can also look at the oil & gas industry and I know they way many of those companies work: BP's situation in the Gulf of Mexico is a result of an industry wide mind set that essentially plays the odds things won't go wrong. There are a lot of shortcuts and ommissions made to safety and environmental equipment, that shouldn't be, in the name of saving a few dollars and making middle managers look good. Thus I can see a level of validity in what these guys are doing on this rig but at the same time I think its stupid because these types of actions don't draw sympathy, just disdain for the perpetrators.
Bingo!!!