Iggy's Getting A Political Personality, Harper The Dullard Fading

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I heard earlier and read in The Globe and Mail this weekend that Iggy is connecting with his audiences. People want to listen to him, they are excited to hear and meet him. Dull Harper thankfully will be eclipsed. Like Clark and Stanfield before him. Good news.

Michael Ignatieff's political summer school - The Globe and Mail

Michael Ignatieff's political summer school

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff and his wife, Zsuzsanna Zsohar, arrive at Baddeck, N.S., on Aug. 30 for the party's caucus retreat. Mike Dembeck/The Canadian Press

After six weeks connecting with Canadians, the Liberal Leader displays a new confidence. But he’s still not talking about an election.

Jane Taber

Baddeck, N.S. — From Tuesday's Globe and Mail Published on Monday, Aug. 30, 2010 8:33PM EDT Last updated on Monday, Aug. 30, 2010 8:51PM EDT

Michael Ignatieff says an old man told him the secret of long life this summer – “sex and booze.” The Liberal Leader mocked Stephen Harper for his arrogance and Bush-style ideology; he took on Jack Layton for not showing leadership on the long-gun registry, and he talked about the importance of democracy – but not once did he mention an election.

Addressing a big, enthusiastic crowd of Liberals in a campaign-style speech in this Cape Breton town to kick off the caucus summer retreat Monday night, the Liberal Leader didn’t seem at all interested in going to the polls any time soon.

This, as everything else screamed election – from his arrival in his so-called Liberal Express bus to his long walk through the crowd, shaking hands as lively fiddle music played and he made his way to the stage.

Liberals even released new red and white campaign-style buttons Monday night – “Welcome to the big red tent” – which was a line Mr. Ignatieff repeated often in his speech.

What a difference a year makes.

Last year in Sudbury, dressed in a suit, his hands gripping a lectern, the rookie leader read from a script and famously told Mr. Harper that his time “was up.” At the first opportunity, Mr. Ignatieff warned, the Liberals would try to take down the government and force an election.

The strategy failed miserably. It cost him in national opinion polls and it cost him some support in his caucus.

Mr. Ignatieff has spent a year trying to undo that misstep and he may just be succeeding.

“Michael Ignatieff got his mojo back this summer,” said Scott Brison, a Nova Scotia Liberal MP and former Paul Martin cabinet minister.

Having logged nearly 40,000 kilometres and attended 142 events during his six-week odyssey across Canada, Mr. Ignatieff could speak with confidence Monday night about what Canadians are feeling and what they told him.

He spoke off-the-cuff for about 20 minutes. He held a microphone and wandered along the stage – no lectern, no script, no Teleprompter.

Wearing jeans and a rumpled striped shirt and with his wife, Zsuzsanna Zsohar, dressed in pink sneakers and black pants, the couple looked like they did just get off a bus.

Last year, Mr. Brison says, the Liberal Leader was “over-managed.” This year, he said, “He’s being himself.”

Said another veteran Liberal: “He’s busted his ass this summer,” proving to Liberals that he wants the job and has the stamina to do it.
He told his supporters what he learned from Canadians and what took him by surprise.

“So the issue, and I’ll be frank with you, that wasn’t at the front of my mind at the beginning of this summer, surely was at that front of the minds of Canadians as we went coast to coast,” said Mr. Ignatieff. “And do you know what that issue is? It’s democracy. Democracy.”

He criticized Mr. Harper and his Conservatives for framing policies based on ideology, giving examples such as building more prisons while the incidence of crime is lessening, scrapping the long-gun registry and killing the mandatory long-form census.

“This country is too big, too rich, too diverse, too complicated to be governed by blind ideology that is imported from the United States,” Mr. Ignatieff said.
Although he gave nothing away as to strategy for the fall sitting of Parliament, Mr. Ignatieff did remind supporters that the Liberals are the party of the centre.

“I have always thought of the Liberal Party of Canada as a big red tent, a big red tent in the centre, in the centre of Canadian political life. We are not the party of the left, we are not the party of the right. We are a party of the centre …”
And about that secret to long life? Mr. Ignatieff recounted how he met a 96-year-old gentleman during his travels this summer. He asked him the secret to his longevity.

“And he looked at me and said, ‘Son, sex and booze.’ ”

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yep....until he ends up in an election.

I once had high hopes for Iggy....but he turned out to be another spineless, two-faced, lying SOB without anything faintly resembling a principle....a fine Liberal leader.

May he return to Harvard ASAP.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

I once had high hopes for Iggy....but he turned out to be another spineless, two-faced, lying SOB without anything faintly resembling a principle....a fine Liberal leader.

Yeah, but he's not going back. He likely seemed so powerless because, well, he had no power in the Liberal party. Harper lacks any sort of visison. Iggy proposed last year a national energy grid, a good idea. Politicians can have good ideas for the country. The market can't do everything all the time.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.

You don't like a politician who's gonna run on a platform of "sex and booze"???!!! Hell, I'll sell out & go liberal if they choose that as top priority for Canajuns. We'll zoom right back up to #1 + 5 Gold Stars on the UN list of best countries!! Yay fir Iggy, whoever he is!! ROTFLOL

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Harper is starting to flounder and is talking to the press more often and is finally showing that the PMO has lost control of the Prime Minister.

The Conservatives will never get the majority and Harper is getting tired of running a minority government.

Since the Reform wing has their iron grip on the Conservative party, majority will never happen.

Iggy finally got momentum and is defining himself a leader that even Harvard can be proud of.

When the writ is dropped and the federal election is on the great Conservative party will experience the same fate as Kim Campbell did on November 4 1993.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Harper is starting to flounder and is talking to the press more often and is finally showing that the PMO has lost control of the Prime Minister.

The Conservatives will never get the majority and Harper is getting tired of running a minority government.

Since the Reform wing has their iron grip on the Conservative party, majority will never happen.

Iggy finally got momentum and is defining himself a leader that even Harvard can be proud of.

When the writ is dropped and the federal election is on the great Conservative party will experience the same fate as Kim Campbell did on November 4 1993.

Looks like the Conservatives (aka Reform) are running out of steam. The Libs were a poor alternative so the Cons squeaked through by default. Paul Martin and Dion were duds too.

I don't think a Kim C scenario is going to happen to them, they will just flag and get 70 odd seats. Note to Tories, Canadians want a democracy, not a corporate flunky state. My dog is good in small rooms with a few people, but he communicates poorly on TV. I'm never going to meet or get to know my political leaders. I can't understand why they don't want to come over to my house every week and drink beer. But I have to vote for one of them.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Harper might be in trouble for two reasons.

1. We still have sky high immigration, well over 300,000 if you include temporary workers.

2. Billions of govt stimulus money and GDP is now at 2%.

If immigrants create jobs, then why isn't the economy booming?

Sorry, should be 2nd quarter GDP growth is at 2%. And economists seem worried.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Dull Harper thankfully will be eclipsed. Like Clark and Stanfield before him. Good news.

I don't remember Stanfield, but if Clark had had his way, Trudeau's deficits and debt would have been addressed almost a decade earlier than it was (and we might have missed out on Mulroney's ego) ... but he was just another stupid Conservative that didn't know what was best for the country, like Trudeau and his right hand man Chretien...

I'm not a big Harper fan but I'll take him over a dilletante that's just playing at politics so he can add another chapter to his self-worshipping memoirs...

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I don't remember Stanfield, but if Clark had had his way, Trudeau's deficits and debt would have been addressed almost a decade earlier than it was (and we might have missed out on Mulroney's ego) ... but he was just another stupid Conservative that didn't know what was best for the country, like Trudeau and his right hand man Chretien...

I'm not a big Harper fan but I'll take him over a dilletante that's just playing at politics so he can add another chapter to his self-worshipping memoirs...

I can't recall if Clark campaigned on reducing the deficit. I remember John Crosbie of Newfoundland not supporting deficit reduction during his time in Brian Mulroney's cabinet because he never campaigned during an election to reduce it. In Newfoundland, doing so would have meant he would have lost the election. Clark was a red tory who likely would have done little about the deficit.

Maybe Iggy just wants another feather in his cap, but the job does require ambition. It takes talent ot make a connection with people when you speak publicly. Some people can do it better than others. Communication is an art, and in a democracy with millions of people, it is required at times with our mass media.