Long Gun Registry - For - Against - To Lazy to care

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Long Gun Registry - Yes - No

Having watched the Harper Govt for the past number of years and their chopping of heads of Independent Boards and other that do not agree with the PARTY LINE -
I do not believe that they have much credibility left.

We see the Party MP's going round sowing disinformation - In this case I have to give my support to the people that are on the line.

So I support the Gun Registry.
Police chiefs vote to endorse national firearms strategy

EDMONTON — Canada’s police chiefs voted unanimously on Monday to endorse a new national firearms policing strategy and delivered a ringing endorsement of the national firearms registry.

Their endorsement of the registry promises to set up a war of words with the Harper government, which has vowed to abolish the registry and argues that many rank-and-file cops oppose it.

“There are some police officers who disagree with the government’s position. On the other hand, all of the elected police officers in the Parliament of Canada support the government’s position,” said Prime Minister Stephen Harper on Monday during a visit to Churchill, Man.

“Canadians have been very clear. They want us to spend our time and our money focusing on the criminal misuse of firearms and not going after law-abiding duck hunters and farmers.”The gun strategy to be adopted by all police forces would outline policy standards on officer training, the operation of firearms and legislation.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Police Chiefs are political animals. Have you done some reading to see
what the rank&file officers think about this issue?

Yes I have - The Long Gun registry to run now does not cost a hell of a lot of money. Are they ( CAPP) Political Animals - Yes - What would you call the Cons in Ottawa?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This Thread has "Colpy's" name all over it, as he's done his homework on this topic.
I personally don't know anyone out here on the prairies who has actually registered
their firearms (at least not all of them...).

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Years ago when all this foolish registration started I asked a few RCMP officers I was target shooting wit, what they thought of this registration process....
He said that any officer worth his salt walks into every situation as if the residence is full of guns...even if a check with the registration center didn't reveal any firearms present.
To do otherwise would be stupid...he even went so far as to say he wouldn't work with another officer who solely relied on the information from the center....
So what use is the bloody thing:laughing6:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
This Thread has "Colpy's" name all over it, as he's done his homework on this topic.
I personally don't know anyone out here on the prairies who has actually registered
their firearms (at least not all of them...).

Just a suggestion - Reopen the original thread if possible - But add the CAPP endorsement. I would be OK with that - Ron i am aware of the controversy but as i stated i will go with the Police Chiefs on this.

I recall one report that the Registry was averaging 5000 hits per day by Police Officers -

I am well aware that criminal do not register Guns - But that argument is a strawman.

Most people do.

Crazy people do.

People that should not have guns do - This would also have to tie in with medical professionals -

No i do not see it as an attempt at banning Guns - That would not fly.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Many of the older Threads, with some of the new changes to the Forum,
are beyond my ability to open. It's just the way it is.

There are several Threads on this topic, so I wouldn't know which one
would be "the one" to even try to open....

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Harper muzzles his cabinet because he intuitively knows that given the IQ level of society from which they are drawn they will shoot themselves in the mouth.

He knows he wishes he could muzzle himself, but sometimes one of the weaknesses of holding the office of PM is that you have to speak even when you don't want to.

And so, let us partake of this speech:

“Canadians have been very clear."

Canadians have never been clear about anything. The Canadian definition of clarity is when a child is asked to blow out some birthday candles, the child does not get them all out, and the Canadian figures that's typical.

"They want us to spend our time and our money focusing on the criminal misuse of firearms and not going after law-abiding duck hunters and farmers.”

To which police and RCMP jump up and down and cheer. Do you have any idea how depressing it is to be a real law enforcer forced to grill duck-hunters when there's real criminals to chase?

"The gun strategy to be adopted by all police forces would outline policy standards on officer training, the operation of firearms and legislation."

What the **** does that mean?

A Prime Minister has to be categorically nuts if he doesn't listen to his police.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Years ago when all this foolish registration started I asked a few RCMP officers I was target shooting wit, what they thought of this registration process....
He said that any officer worth his salt walks into every situation as if the residence is full of guns...even if a check with the registration center didn't reveal any firearms present.
To do otherwise would be stupid...he even went so far as to say he wouldn't work with another officer who solely relied on the information from the center....
So what use is the bloody thing:laughing6:
That is called being prepared - it does not reflect on the registry -

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Police Chiefs are political animals. Have you done some reading to see
what the rank&file officers think about this issue?

This is worth a read:
Police association is 'being right' on long-gun registry - Winnipeg Free Press

Some excerpts:

By repealing the long-gun registry, taxpayers will save $4 million per year, an amount that Mr. Tinsley stretches into a $2 billion argument.

What the CPA did present in its submission was a 2007 RCMP survey of 408 "front-line" police officers in 56 police services across Canada.

It found 73 per cent use the registry in responding to calls for service; 69 per cent reported that it influences how they respond to calls for service; and 74 per cent indicated use of the registry aids their investigations.

"The registry does not prevent gun crime and does not save lives" states Mr. Tinsley. Does the Criminal Code? Do criminals register their DNA? Will sex offenders register themselves? Yet these are important tools, among many, used by law enforcement to improve community safety.

It's bought and paid for now, and it's data that police use. Removing a valid police tool for political purposes is just like Goober said, more of the same. Tow the line or face the axe.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Non?...If you have a tool that you don't feel is safe to use....one word for it is "Useless"!

The officer you talked to didn't say it was unsafe to use. He said it was unsafe to rely solely on this one tool.

A mariner would be unwise to rely on just a life jacket...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
This is worth a read:
Police association is 'being right' on long-gun registry - Winnipeg Free Press

Some excerpts:

It's bought and paid for now, and it's data that police use. Removing a valid police tool for political purposes is just like Goober said, more of the same. Tow the line or face the axe.

It is simply not a valid police tool.

It does not tell where firearms are for the following reasons:

1. At MOST 75% of the long arms in Canada are registered.

2. You can loan a firearm to any person holding a license.......then the gun is not at the address it was registered to....but somewhere else, perfectly legally.

3. The registry is so screwed up with inaccurate information that it is NOT ADMISSIBLE in court....that kinda says it all, doesn't it?

Even if EVERY long gun was legally registered, the police would have to be idiots to assume the presence of firearms based on the registry.

And everybody seems to forget; the same police would dance a jig if the Charter were burned on Parliament Hill.........

Any state where the police dictate policy is known as a Police state.....

think about that.

Can't argue this tonite: simply an opening salvo....later folks!

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

The following quote is from the LINK posted in the Opening Post:

Const. Randy Kuntz posted a question on an online forum for Blue Line Magazine,
a police publication, asking whether police supported the long-gun registry as a useful
working tool. Over the course of 14 months, Const. Kuntz said, he received online
responses and emails from 2,631 police officers.

Some 92% of respondents, or 2,410 officers, said the registry was a useless crime
-fighting tool, said Const. Kuntz.

“All it’s doing is tracking legal-owned firearms, which is kind of useless,” said Const.
Kuntz, who is also a long-gun owner and acts as a wilderness hunting guide. “I don’t
know how you’d use it as a crime-fighting tool. I’ve been straining for years trying to
figure that one out.”

I don't know the answers to the following questions, but I'm going to
throw them out here anyway.

What % of the total of all the "Law Abiding" (=non-criminal element)
have not registered all or any of their firearms?

What % of the total of all the "Non-Law Abiding" (=criminal element)
have registered all or any of their firearms?

What % of the total of all the firearms that where actually registered
are actually firearms....and not household items like hand-drills and
blow-dryers registered in protest?

What % of all of the inquiries by law enforcement to this gun registry
are legitimate and intentional inquiries...and not due to it being tied
automatically to CPIC?

Of the legitimate and intentional inquiries to this gun registry, how
many of those claimed are double or tripled up numbers due to the
automatic redundancy for every inquiry?

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
I have finished a long day, and so I am relaxing *hick* (Alberta rye... mmm)

You guys are nuts if you don't understand anything about what it takes to do law enforcement on a frontier.

I bet half of you are so comfortable in cities that you don't know that Canada is the second most urbanized nation on the planet, second only to Australia.

I bet also you are people who don't know (or care if you're a bratty little teen reading Teen Beat magazine) that you're in charge of one of the last two frontiers on the planet.

The other is Brazil, as it drills inward to destroy its rain-forest... not knowing what it's going to find.

Now there's an irony... small populations spread out over wide areas clumping together like stars in a dark sky.

My head spins, but here's what the deal was supposed to be about.

If a guy gets his rifle stolen, he gets it back.

Otherwise, it gets confiscated.

If someone is holding a long-arm reported stolen, it is known he's a crook.

You guys don't know anything about how life on the frontier is.

Toronto does not know how Canada has more long-arms than Americans.

We still drive and walk around with 22's and shotguns which will get you shot on site in the States.

Urban people are so zoned on American TV that they don't know that they've got the largest remaining frontier in their backyard. In fact, I bet they're so stoned that they think it's funny to think about the idea of there being a frontier at all.

Consequently, I'm not going to talk to anyone who cannot tell me where the world's second-largest frontier still is.

In the mean time I'm off to get hammered.

"Important and good things happened today, and people want transparent government, and Harper's a guy who should have been stuck in an alternate reality chamber like the Americans are using to treat vets with PTSD before he got into politics."

That's just a joke corresponding in intelligence to the last statement of Harper's statement about gun control.

Last edited: