Israeli PM's wife decries deporting children

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
CBC News - World - Israeli PM's wife decries deporting children

The wife of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has written to his cabinet colleagues, asking them to reconsider the decision to deport 400 children.

They are the offspring — born in Israel — of migrant workers from Asian and African countries. The government has ordered them to leave, along with their parents, by the fall. The issue has touched a raw nerve in Israel.

Sarah Netanyahu was to meet with Israeli Interior Minister Eli Yishai on Thursday, adding her voice to the thousands who have been demonstrating for the past year against the government's decision to deport the children.

They include the three-year-old son of a woman known as Heidi, who is from the Philippines and has lived in Israel for 15 years.

"Sometimes I can't sleep at night because it's not easy. I have to do everything and work every day, and there's lots of rumours and it's very stressful," she said.

Rotem Ilan formed the group Israel Children a year ago to fight these deportations.

"Israel is a country that was built by and for migrant workers looking for a safe haven, and I think if there's anything that we've learnt from our long history, it's that we cannot be the country that will deport children," Ilan said.

Human rights groups are calling on Israel to put its migration policy in order. They say it should not simply deport these low-paid workers and their children, bring in a new batch and start the cycle all over again.

However, Yishai has taken a hard line on the issue. He has said these non-Jewish children will negatively impact the Jewish state in future.

How charming.

Boot them out of the country because they're not Jewish and will have a negative impact on their "Pure Race" mentality, not even giving them a chance to grow up in the so-called "Democratic" nation they were born in and proving that they can benefit their society.

And that's all it is..... he generalized them all based on the fact that they're not "Jewish" and that's his justification for kicking them out of the country they called home for all their lives.

At least Sarah Netanyahu is showing some common sense and treating them like human beings.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If you are not citizens of Canada and have a child in Canada...do they automatically become Canadians?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
If you are not citizens of Canada and have a child in Canada...do they automatically become Canadians?

If someone is born in a country, as far as I'm aware, they're citizens of that country (Or Dual Citizne).... including in the US..... correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're born on an international flight over international waters...... then you're born as an "International Man of Mystery, baby, yeah!"

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If you are not citizens here in the US, illegal immigrants or legal immigrants and have a child here...the child is a US citizen. They call them anchor babies.

I am not so sure Canada has that law.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
CBC News - World - Israeli PM's wife decries deporting children

How charming.

Boot them out of the country because they're not Jewish and will have a negative impact on their "Pure Race" mentality, not even giving them a chance to grow up in the so-called "Democratic" nation they were born in and proving that they can benefit their society.
Another fine example of reading something that isn't there. And by the way, Joo isn't a race.

And that's all it is..... he generalized them all based on the fact that they're not "Jewish" and that's his justification for kicking them out of the country they called home for all their lives.
Although I find some room for contempt in his commentary, I'm not willing to condemn the whole of Israel for their this politicians ignorance. Nor am I willing to condemn a policy that I would fully support in Canada.

Now, the article is really well written, if the intent was to draw outrage at Israel. If it was to inform people, it was poorly written. Children aren't being deported. People with children born in Israel are.

At least Sarah Netanyahu is showing some common sense and treating them like human beings.
Deportation is not inhuman. Please try and be realistic. We aren't talking about a nation the size of Canada or the US here. They have a small piece of land, and a population that is growing on its own. Allowing themselves to be the end of the line for just anyone, is absurd.

Now you can take this article at its face value and run with it Prax, that's up to you. But Israel, like the US and Canada has a migrant worker policy, which comes with visa's and when your short stay is over, it's "We'll see you next year". If a woman from the Philippines is being deported after 15 years, critical thought and deductive reasoning says she illegally stayed in the country, after her visa expired, and was damned good at hiding off the radar.

Now, is it fair to condemn the state, because she chose to willfully break the law and then have a child, while living in constant jeopardy of deportation?

I think not.

Oh yea, Israel is so much more civilized than their Arab neighbours. :roll:
Of course they are, their Arab neighbours have a tendancy to simply not allow migrant workers, and anyone that spouts off against the Gov't, get's whacked. But I guess that's far more civilized in you small head.

If you are not citizens here in the US, illegal immigrants or legal immigrants and have a child here...the child is a US citizen. They call them anchor babies.

Ya, we have anchor babies too.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Another fine example of reading something that isn't there. And by the way, Joo isn't a race.

You know, you really need to heed your own advice first before dishing it out to others.

Speaking of fine reading, I already know Jewish people are not a "race", which is why I quote marked "Pure Race" as a reference towards the mentality, thus not to be taken literally.

Too complicated for you I guess.

Although I find some room for contempt in his commentary, I'm not willing to condemn the whole of Israel for their this politicians ignorance. Nor am I willing to condemn a policy that I would fully support in Canada.

There's that problem of not reading things properly again...... "he generalized them all based on the fact that they're not "Jewish" and that's his justification for kicking them out of the country they called home for all their lives."

How's that condemning the entire Israeli population for their politicians' ignorance?

Like I said, at least the PM's wife in this report is showing she's got some brains and decent reasoning and I hope her efforts succeed...... which completely counters your above claims of me condemning the entire Israeli population.

However if the entire population decided to allow their politicians to get away with this action based on the above reasoning, then indeed, they're no better then those politicians...... after all, they're a Democracy aren't they? They voted these people into power..... it's the same thing as when the world judges Canada based on our PM or our politicians' actions..... just like when the US was judged based on Bush and Obama, etc. etc..... they're supposed to be our representatives of our democracy.

Now, the article is really well written, if the intent was to draw outrage at Israel. If it was to inform people, it was poorly written. Children aren't being deported. People with children born in Israel are.

Splitting hairs, considering many of those families aren't going to want to split up, where the parents go, their children go too..... unless you expect them to give up their children and put them in foster homes..... which is even worse.

Deportation is not inhuman. Please try and be realistic.

It kinda is if they have little money and nowhere else to go because they just lived there for the last 15 years and nothing was ever done until now. It also depends on where they're being deported to.

We aren't talking about a nation the size of Canada or the US here. They have a small piece of land, and a population that is growing on its own. Allowing themselves to be the end of the line for just anyone, is absurd.

Then maybe they shouldn't have allowed these people to come into the country in the first place and stay long enough to build relationships, a home, and a family which was born in that country.

Now you can take this article at its face value and run with it Prax, that's up to you.

I believe it's you who's taking it at face value.

But Israel, like the US and Canada has a migrant worker policy, which comes with visa's and when your short stay is over, it's "We'll see you next year". If a woman from the Philippines is being deported after 15 years, critical thought and deductive reasoning says she illegally stayed in the country, after her visa expired, and was damned good at hiding off the radar.

Then they should have came after her sooner with more resources if she was really that big of a problem. If she was really hiding for that long, then how did they suddenly find her now at this stage to deliver her the papers to gtf out of the country with this other long list of people being deported?

Obviously they're not hiding now and obviously they couldn't have been hiding to make a living and a family (jobs, neighbors, schools for the children, hospital visits, etc.)

Unless you're going to tell me they all lived underground all this time and lived like cave monkeys.

Now, is it fair to condemn the state, because she chose to willfully break the law and then have a child, while living in constant jeopardy of deportation?

Unfortunately it's a tad difficult to ensure someone won't have sex, let alone get pregnant in the span of 15 years of their lives.

If the State couldn't be bothered to boot her out the same year her visa ran out and they obviously tolerated her living there for 15 years.... yes, I do consider it fair to condemn them...... even more so after they use the argument that they're doing this because they're "Non-Jewish"

Of course they are, their Arab neighbours have a tendancy to simply not allow migrant workers, and anyone that spouts off against the Gov't, get's whacked. But I guess that's far more civilized in you small head.

Ah, going back to petty insults are we?

If they simply don't allow migrant workers in their countries, then obviously they don't have this sort of problem, do they? If you're not allowed in a country to work in the first place, then you don't have people coming into the country to work and then "hide" for over a decade and start their own families and lives..... they'd already be criminals the moment they crossed the border and usually expelled out of the country in question, returned to the country they came from, or if the situation is worse, imprison them.

Right off the bat, you have the individual being punished/dealt with before there's children involved that were born in the country.

Not to mention, it would seem you're comparing Islamic run nations (Israel's neighbors) to Israel which is supposed to be a democratic state..... great way to set the bar low for Israel. Oh wow.... look at least they're not publicly stoning them. :roll:

Ya, we have anchor babies too.

Yup, I'm aware of this.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You know, you really need to heed your own advice first before dishing it out to others.

Speaking of fine reading, I already know Jewish people are not a "race", which is why I quote marked "Pure Race" as a reference towards the mentality, thus not to be taken literally.

Too complicated for you I guess.
You can wrap it in gold, it's as stupid in quotations as it is without. Especially since Israel has other "religions" that practice openly. Which is obviously to complicated for you to grasp...way to set the tone Prax. Please don't cry if this gets ugly.

But hey, whatever spins yer wheels dude.

There's that problem of not reading things properly again...... "he generalized them all based on the fact that they're not "Jewish" and that's his justification for kicking them out of the country they called home for all their lives."
You have to love it when some tries to claim you read into something, while reading into something...

All I did was state my position, not say you were doing anything of the sort.

How's that condemning the entire Israeli population for their politicians' ignorance?
It isn't, which is why I never said you did...

Like I said, at least the PM's wife in this report is showing she's got some brains and decent reasoning and I hope her efforts succeed...... which completely counters your above claims of me condemning the entire Israeli population.
Again, I love how you read itno peoples posts, it's very funny, seriously.
However if the entire population decided to allow their politicians to get away with this action based on the above reasoning, then indeed, they're no better then those politicians...... after all, they're a Democracy aren't they? They voted these people into power..... it's the same thing as when the world judges Canada based on our PM or our politicians' actions..... just like when the US was judged based on Bush and Obama, etc. etc..... they're supposed to be our representatives of our democracy.
But hey, while you're trying to argue about something I didn't do, why not actually do it and make your argument moot.

Good call Prax...

Splitting hairs, considering many of those families aren't going to want to split up, where the parents go, their children go too..... unless you expect them to give up their children and put them in foster homes..... which is even worse.
It's not splitting hairs, the article makes it sound like Israel is deporting children, alone. They are not, they're deporting illegal aliens and their offspring. Full stop.

The title of the thread...

The title of the article...

The fact of the matter. Israel is deporting illegal aliens that have children.
It kinda is if they have little money and nowhere else to go because they just lived there for the last 15 years and nothing was ever done until now. It also depends on where they're being deported to.
Well, if we can expect more people being deported back to the Philippines, like the woman in the article, I won't be too worried about her safety.

But besides that, it isn't Israels fault that someone was breaking their laws. No one forced her to break the law, she did that on her own.

Then maybe they shouldn't have allowed these people to come into the country in the first place and stay long enough to build relationships, a home, and a family which was born in that country.
They don't, that's why they have a migrant worker visa system. It kind of requires the visa holder to be honest though. Something these people obviously aren't.

Why do you support dishonest criminal behavior?

I believe it's you who's taking it at face value.
Yes, I'm sure you do.

Then they should have came after her sooner with more resources if she was really that big of a problem.
Would you support that kind of gov't spending here?

If she was really hiding for that long, then how did they suddenly find her now at this stage to deliver her the papers to gtf out of the country with this other long list of people being deported?
What do you think happened Prax? Do you think the Israeli authorities sat back and waited until she got comfy, so they could perpetrate a great big gotchya?

C'mon, use some reason.

Obviously they're not hiding now and obviously they couldn't have been hiding to make a living and a family (jobs, neighbors, schools for the children, hospital visits, etc.)
Why not? It happens in Canada too. I knew a migrant worker that was using the SIN of a man that was in prison. Until he was caught.
Unless you're going to tell me they all lived underground all this time and lived like cave monkeys.
Again Prax, use some reason dude.

Unfortunately it's a tad difficult to ensure someone won't have sex, let alone get pregnant in the span of 15 years of their lives.
That's not the States problem Prax.

If the State couldn't be bothered to boot her out the same year her visa ran out and they obviously tolerated her living there for 15 years.... yes, I do consider it fair to condemn them...... even more so after they use the argument that they're doing this because they're "Non-Jewish"
Again, way to make the imaginary argument real. Way to go Prax.

Ah, going back to petty insults are we?
You must have missed the fact that, that was to cubby, not you, and with cubby, there is no debate, unlike yourself.

If they simply don't allow migrant workers in their countries, then obviously they don't have this sort of problem, do they? If you're not allowed in a country to work in the first place, then you don't have people coming into the country to work and then "hide" for over a decade and start their own families and lives..... they'd already be criminals the moment they crossed the border and usually expelled out of the country in question, returned to the country they came from, or if the situation is worse, imprison them.
I'm sure all the honest migrant workers will thank you for removing their ability to make excellent earnings, then head home and enjoy them. I know the South American ones that I meet here each year, the bulk of which come back repeatedly, like the fact that they can come here, work, make excellent money, then go back to their homeland and live like kings, on vacation for the rest of the year.

They are pissed off when one of them jumps, and doesn't return. It paints them all bad, and risks their livelihood.

Ever think of it that way Prax?

Your position is so much more inhuman then you obviously understand.

Right off the bat, you have the individual being punished/dealt with before there's children involved that were born in the country.
Then there's reality.

Not to mention, it would seem you're comparing Islamic run nations (Israel's neighbors) to Israel which is supposed to be a democratic state..... great way to set the bar low for Israel. Oh wow.... look at least they're not publicly stoning them. :roll:
Ummm, no, that would be cubby that made the comparison, I only highlighted the differences. But hey, if you want to read into my post, feel free.

Yup, I'm aware of this.
Which is why it was to EagleSmack, who wasn't sure.

I am not so sure you do. I bet Canada doesn't send them out of the country, but children born through immigrant parents are not automatically Canadian citizens.
They are. There's a Ipso Reid poll on the net somewhere, give me a minute, that shows Canadians are not impressed with our anchor baby problem.

Ipsos-Reid Poll Says That Anchor Babies Are Only One Of The Many Immigration Issues Canadians Disapprove Of - Immigration Watch Canada

On New Year's Eve, a baby was born on an international flight as the plane flew over Canada. When the Ugandan mother and her baby landed in Boston, American officials deemed the baby a Canadian citizen to speed their passage through customs.
At first, Canadian officials were unsure whether the child qualified for citizenship, as there was no know precedent in Canada for such a situation. Federal immigration lawyers reviewed the case and ruled that the baby is indeed eligible for Canadian citizenship.
"Our government believes that Canadian territory - and, as a result, the full reach of Canadian sovereignty - extends to our airspace," stated a spokesperson for Citizenship, Immigration, and Multiculturalism Canada (CIMC) Minister Jason Kenney. "This means that a child born in Canadian airspace is a Canadian citizen."
The mother can now obtain a proof of citizenship by applying to Citizenship and Immigration Canada with a birth certificate and other identification.
Almost anyone born in Canada is granted Canadian citizenship, save a few exceptions, such as children born to foreign diplomats.
Almost anyone born in Canada is a Canadian citizen - Even those born in Canadian airspace!

Too funny!

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

Canadian law automatically grants citizenship to anyone born in Canada. Here we just call them babies...

If someone is born in a country, as far as I'm aware, they're citizens of that country (Or Dual Citizne).... including in the US..... correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're born on an international flight over international waters...... then you're born as an "International Man of Mystery, baby, yeah!"
:lol:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Canadian law automatically grants citizenship to anyone born in Canada. Here we just call them babies...

You think so?

Section 3(2) of the Current Act states that Canadian citizenship is not granted to a child born in Canada if, at the time of his/her birth, neither of his/her parents was a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident and either parent was a diplomatic or consular officer or other representative or employee of a foreign government in Canada or an employee of such a person.

Now what was that you said?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I did not know that. But if I interpret this right, the law basically says if you live here legally (permanent Canadian resident), your child is Canadian. If you are just passing through or a foreign diplomat your child is your nationality.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I did not know that. But if I interpret this right, the law basically says if you live here legally (permanent Canadian resident), your child is Canadian. If you are just passing through or a foreign diplomat your child is your nationality.

That is exactly as I interpet it too. If you live in Canada LEGALLY your child is a Canadian citizen.

It kind of throws cold water on your original statement though doesn't it?

This statement...

"Canadian law automatically grants citizenship to anyone born in Canada. Here we just call them babies..."

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Nope! You have to apply for Canadian citizenship on behalf of your child if you are not a Canadian citizen. If you are granted Canadian citizenship and then have kids, THEY are Canadian citizens of course. Passers through and dips are just that. non Canuks.

Even if you're not a citizen you may collect lots and lots of welfare and other perks, and can demonstrate en masse (tamils) in front of parliament hill.

White Canadian citizens are not allowed to demonstrate, and will be shackled in chains and thrown in jail with rapists, murderers, drug addled losers, and other fine folk.

Worse is better. Get used to it.
:glasses11:(but, I digress. Sorry).........off the rails again. report me to a mod immediately.8O

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I still think Canadian citizenship laws are fair and humane. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation... unlike Israel and many other countries. But less liberal about citizenship than the US.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I still think Canadian citizenship laws are fair and humane. We don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation... unlike Israel and many other countries. But less liberal about citizenship than the US.

Overall it is eye opening isn't it? I was shocked myself when I heard it on a radio show earlier this week and they were praising Canada's immigration policy on a conservative radio show. The conservative talk show host was talking about how Canada got hold of their immigration problems before they manifested. I bet that might be a kick in the butt for Canadian progressives.

This was another thing that surprised me...

In order to apply for Canadian citizenship...

Applicants must be able to speak either one or both of Canada’s two official languages (English or French) well enough to communicate in Canadian society. The applicant must know enough English and/or French to understand people and for people to understand them.

CUBert

Time Out
Aug 15, 2010
Canada

Is this half-wit annoying anyone else?
Anyways, as usual you're completely wrong.
Any inhumane actions Israel commits, you put it off as "It's the law, learn to follow the law, blah blah"
When any other middle eastern (Muslim) country does the same, "Oh wow look at those primitive uncivilized barbarians". It's getting blatantly obvious that you are a bigot.
This is the result of probably decades of being indoctrinated by American propaganda.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Section 3(2) of the Current Act states that Canadian citizenship is not granted to a child born in Canada if, at the time of his/her birth, neither of his/her parents was a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident and either parent was a diplomatic or consular officer or other representative or employee of a foreign government in Canada or an employee of such a person.

Applicants must be able to speak either one or both of Canada’s two official languages (English or French) well enough to communicate in Canadian society. The applicant must know enough English and/or French to understand people and for people to understand them.
You'd think that law was written in stone wouldn't you. But as you can see from ,y post, not only will Immigration Canada, allow babies born here to obtain citizenship, they allow babies flying through our airspace citizenship.

As for speaking the language. We have whole communities and industries, that dictate that that portion of the immigration act, is not being enforced.

Actually eao, we have quota system.
Canada’s Annual Immigration Levels: Quota System in Disguise - Canada immigration services and canada immigration forms & applications

Actually, yes cubby. Seems everyone that has had a contrary argument with you, believes you haven't the ability to to debate on any level. I won't argue that sentiment.
So you've said, and as in the past, you offer no proof. Likely because it's too challenging for you.
Any inhumane actions Israel commits, you put it off as "It's the law, learn to follow the law, blah blah"
Actually no. But go on.

When any other middle eastern (Muslim) country does the same, "Oh wow look at those primitive uncivilized barbarians".
Please by all means show me where I have done this? If it's not to challenging for you cubby.

It's getting blatantly obvious that you are a bigot.
I'm sure to those so easily challenged by simple discussion, such as yourself, would jump right to that, but yet, I've asked many times for you to show your research, and have be left waiting.

I readily admit my prejudices, though. Do you?

This is the result of probably decades of being indoctrinated by American propaganda.
Wow! Really? So you're one of those predictable big bad Joos and big bad US folks eh?

Good to see your prejudices shining through the facade cubby.

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Overall it is eye opening isn't it? I was shocked myself when I heard it on a radio show earlier this week and they were praising Canada's immigration policy on a conservative radio show. The conservative talk show host was talking about how Canada got hold of their immigration problems before they manifested. I bet that might be a kick in the butt for Canadian progressives.

This was another thing that surprised me...

In order to apply for Canadian citizenship...

I agree with this as well. In fact I'd go further.

If you want to work as a professional (Engineer, Doctor) in Canada, you should have to qualify first and be fit to practice the moment you step foot in Canada. We have far too many professionals who can't qualify in their profession after they arrive. Its a waste of their skills and contributes to professional shortages in their country of origin.

In the case of Doctors, Teachers and other social service professionals, I'd be willing to even pay their way, provided the Canadian government determines where they live and work for the first 5 years. We have a very big need for these people in specific locations, typically smaller cities and towns.

I have no problem with Canada discriminating on the basis of how people can contribute to Canada. Effectively skimming the people with skills and education off the top and rejecting the rest.

When any other middle eastern (Muslim) country does the same, "Oh wow look at those primitive uncivilized barbarians". It's getting blatantly obvious that you are a bigot.

I suggest you ignore it.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I agree with this as well. In fact I'd go further.

If you want to work as a professional (Engineer, Doctor) in Canada, you should have to qualify first and be fit to practice the moment you step foot in Canada. We have far too many professionals who can't qualify in their profession after they arrive. Its a waste of their skills and contributes to professional shortages in their country of origin.

In the case of Doctors, Teachers and other social service professionals, I'd be willing to even pay their way, provided the Canadian government determines where they live and work for the first 5 years. We have a very big need for these people in specific locations, typically smaller cities and towns.

I have no problem with Canada discriminating on the basis of how people can contribute to Canada. Effectively skimming the people with skills and education off the top and rejecting the rest.
I would have loved to give you a thumbs up for this post, but then you went and...

I suggest you ignore it.
Just because he hates Israel like you, doesn't mean you should ally yourselves.