Quebec tries to block N.S.-N.L. cable funding

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Quebec tries to block N.S.-N.L. cable funding - Front - TheChronicleHerald.ca

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. — Two governments in Atlantic Canada scolded Premier Jean Charest on Thursday for interfering in their energy plans, with Premier Danny Williams accusing Quebec of showing "unmitigated gall" by objecting to its financing application for a subsea transmission line for power from Labrador.

Newfoundland and Labrador and Nova Scotia are trying to get funding for a subsea cable to ship surplus power from Labrador across the Cabot Strait to Cape Breton.

Williams says they’ve applied for funds from a federal infrastructure program designed to promote public-private partnership projects.

"We have been informed that a letter has gone from the province of Quebec, perhaps, I think, under the signature of the premier, Jean Charest, objecting to the application," Williams said. "I mean, the unmitigated gall of the province of Quebec to not stick to their own business, to basically stick their nose in the affairs of Atlantic Canada."

Nova Scotia Energy Minister Bill Estabrooks said he learned of the objection from his staff.

"It disappoints me that Premier Charest would stoop to this level. He’s out of line," said Estabrooks.

"Mr. Charest, stick to your own business. Advocate positively on behalf of your province or region and don’t put down another province or region for a purely political reason."

Neither Charest or Natural Resources Minister Nathalie Normandeau were available to comment Thursday.

But Quebec Justice Minister Jean-Marc Fournier, speaking on behalf of the government, said sending the letter to Ottawa is simply a matter of Quebec sticking up for itself.

"It’s not putting our nose in any other province’s matters," Fournier said in a telephone interview.

"The fact that when a province asks the federal government to pay for transmission lines when Quebec or others paid by themselves, it’s an unequal treatment of one province over the other."

Fournier said sending the letter to Ottawa was necessary and his province’s position is reasonable.

"I think the position of Quebec is very clear. We don’t have to raise the tone, we can explain our position with reason," Fournier said.

Williams and Estabrooks say their provinces’ plan is an example of Atlantic co-operation that would use green energy from the province’s hydroelectric resources in Labrador.

"We’re particularly looking to the future with Lower Churchill," said Estabrooks.

"We’ve always talked about a regional grid and that’s the way we’re going with this."

Estabrooks said he wants a few days to try and get a better idea of the reasons underlying Quebec’s objections before commenting further.

Williams has long accused Quebec of trying to block development of the Lower Churchill hydroelectric project in Labrador by denying access to its transmission lines because it wants to protect Hydro-Quebec’s interests.

Two months ago, Williams said he was tired of Quebec’s "patronizingly colonial attitude" when it comes to the development of Lower Churchill, a megaproject that Newfoundland says would generate three million megawatts of electricity, enough power for 1.5 million homes.

Williams and a number of his predecessors have long complained about the financing agreement in the 1960s that made development of the Upper Churchill hydroelectric project in Labrador possible.

Newfoundland says the deal has led to the transfer of billions of dollars of wealth from the province to Quebec.

A subsea route through the Maritimes, possibly landing in Nova Scotia, has been touted as one alternative to using Quebec’s transmission system.
I think the excuse from Fournier is a pile of crap... it would seem that ever since Quebec's deal with New Brusnwick tanked from mounting opposition to the idea of Quebec monopolizing NB's power, that not only had opposition from NB citizens, but also from all other maritime provinces, Quebec wants to try and screw over anything that would make any of the atlantic provinces gain some level of profit and be more self sustaining.

"It’s not putting our nose in any other province’s matters," Fournier said in a telephone interview.

Actually yes it is, since these matters have nothing to do with Quebec in the first place.

Fk'n wankers.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Yeah, that is a bull $hit argument from Quebec. They can apply to use those funds as easily as NS and NL.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Dear Mr Charest:

Please fack off. We're tired of your little games, you and Quebec Hydro. Since you won't play fair with NL, we'll go along without you. Feel free to use your influence to help SNC Lavalin build more power projects in Libya and Algeria, and leave us alone.

Thanks.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
"The fact that when a province asks the federal government to pay for transmission lines when Quebec or others paid by themselves, it’s an unequal treatment of one province over the other."

So Quebec paid for their own crap by themselves.... did they do this on their own accord or did they too attempt to apply for what NS and NFLD are applying for and were turned down?

If they applied but were turned down, then don't shat on Atlantic Canada, go shat on the Federal Government.... I suspect if that was the case, there was a reason.

If they just did it all by themselves and then expect others to do as they do because they were stupid.... then they's can kiss me arse and screw a cod till tha moose comes home..... bai. (Try and translate that into french)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Related Update:

PM won't weigh in on Atlantic Canada power dispute
PM won't weigh in on Atlantic Canada power dispute - CTV News

LUNENBURG, N.S. — Prime Minister Stephen Harper declined Wednesday to weigh in on a dispute between Quebec and two Atlantic provinces over a proposal to build an undersea cable to carry electricity from Labrador to Nova Scotia.

Newfoundland and Nova Scotia have applied to a federal private-public partnership program to help pay for the project.

But Quebec has raised objections to it, saying it would be an inappropriate use of program funds.

Harper, who was in Nova Scotia for funding announcements and a Tory party function, said the project is only formative.

"There's a program at the conceptual stage so talking about that is purely hypothetical," Harper said.

"If any province comes forward with a clean energy project, that would be evaluated purely on its merit."

The premiers of the two Atlantic provinces have accused Quebec of trying to protect its own power transmission interests by playing politics.

But the Quebec government says it would be unfair for Ottawa to grant one province money for the construction of transmission lines when another province paid for a similar project on its own.
Once again..... if they paid for it all on their own by choice, then they can kiss my sea salted arse.

At least Harper's response stated it'd be based on the information of the project and its merits, not what some other whiny province states is unfair.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Related Update:

PM won't weigh in on Atlantic Canada power dispute
PM won't weigh in on Atlantic Canada power dispute - CTV News

Once again..... if they paid for it all on their own by choice, then they can kiss my sea salted arse.

At least Harper's response stated it'd be based on the information of the project and its merits, not what some other whiny province states is unfair.

You can't possibly run infrastructure grants by only allowing grants for things that other provinces have gotten grants for, or nothing would ever get done. That seems to be Quebec's attitude: if someone has done it without a grant, nobody else should get a grant for it.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
You can't possibly run infrastructure grants by only allowing grants for things that other provinces have gotten grants for, or nothing would ever get done. That seems to be Quebec's attitude: if someone has done it without a grant, nobody else should get a grant for it.

Sounds about right.... I think the thing Quebec is missing in their logic is that none of the maritime provinces alone have a population close to what they have, thus less provincial taxes they can take from their population, less money, etc.

That's like trying to compare Ontario's resources, population and abilities to do things on their own to another province like PEI.... if Ontario can do something on their own with their own resources, then what's PEI's problem?

I'd hate to say it, but not all of Canada's provinces are "Created Equally" and some need a bit more help then others.

bobbyofwindsor

Feb 23, 2011
Screw Quebec. The best thing for Canada is for them to leave. Just one more example of Quebec trying to scew everybody else.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Actually yes it is, since these matters have nothing to do with Quebec in the first place.

Fk'n wankers.

I'm especially fond of this quote:

That whole "equal treatment" thingy provided me with a great laugh.

bobbyofwindsor

Feb 23, 2011
Quebec is pissy because they won't be able to get another sweet deal and rape NL for another 99 years. I'm not saying that it's all Quebec's fault. It was a stupid bone head move to sign such a contract in the first place. But honestly Quebec..do you think your going to get anywhere with this???

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Quebec tries to block N.S.-N.L. cable funding - Front - TheChronicleHerald.ca

I think the excuse from Fournier is a pile of crap... it would seem that ever since Quebec's deal with New Brusnwick tanked from mounting opposition to the idea of Quebec monopolizing NB's power, that not only had opposition from NB citizens, but also from all other maritime provinces, Quebec wants to try and screw over anything that would make any of the atlantic provinces gain some level of profit and be more self sustaining.

Fk'n wankers.

Do you remember Quebec trying to buy NB Power - That would have given them a stranglehold on electricity exports from NFLD. They know that NFLD will eventually be a strong or stronger competitor on price the Que is now. Que also refuses to allow NFLD to use their power lines for export to the US which i understand is a violation of inter provincial agreements on exports / travel thru of electricity - Why does the Fed govt not intervene - Freaking votes.