Kelowna Firechief resigns with hefty severance package.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The firechief of Kelowna recently resigned after four years service receiving a severance package in excess of $200,000. There is a lot the public doesn't know about this resignation except that it was a mutual decision between employer and employee. The documents the media managed to get (under the freedom of information legislation) had large areas blacked out. The reason given for this was confidential third party involvement. I'm both suspicious and horrified that the taxpayer has to foot such a large bill. Is there some skulduggery going on here or not? What would be typical situations leading to such a lucrative departure after such a short tenure?

Note original thread has been corrected.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The firechief of Kelowna recently resigned after four years service receiving a severance package in excess of $200,000. There is a lot the public doesn't know about this resignation except that it was a mutual decision between employer and employee. The documents the media managed to get (under the freedom of information legislation) had large areas blacked out. The reason given for this was confidential third party involvement. I'm both suspicious and horrified that the taxpayer has to foot such a large bill. Is there some skulduggery going on here or not? What would be typical situations leading to such a lucrative departure after such a short tenure?

Note original thread has been corrected.

As pathetic as that is it goes on constantly in Mass. Our Democrat dominated state government spends most of their time feathering their nest and those of their families. Four years and a $200K severeance package. What a great deal and I hope that doesn't give any of my politicians and ideas...

"Hey, a fire chief in Canada just got a 200K severeance package... now how can I do that... hmmmmm."

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Not unless you are the taxpayer footing the bill. A lot of people would love a job that pays an extra 1.5 years pay after 4 years of work. :smile:

Agreed. A fire chief will end up somewhere and if he is a fire chief he is most likely close to retiring. So they could be topping off his pension with a 200K kiss.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not unless you are the taxpayer footing the bill. A lot of people would love a job that pays an extra 1.5 years pay after 4 years of work. :smile:
Then they need to work harder or get a better education or like this fella put in a ****load of years and a good work record to make chief.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
How did his contract read? It is normal to have a termination clause in the contract of a senior position like the fire chief. Why should Kelowna be any different?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How did his contract read? It is normal to have a termination clause in the contract of a senior position like the fire chief. Why should Kelowna be any different?
Upper managment is upper management whether private or public and is paid accordingly. $200K is not a whole helluva lot.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

If so then I'd suggest it's high time certain changes were made. When I started out as a young feller (and you no doubt did too) we considered it fair that we be paid for the work that we DID. This whole wage situation has grown into being a monster with at least a dozen reasons and occasions where people are paid for NOT working. Meanwhile those working the bottom end of the scale for an astute business man get paid for what they do and perhaps 3 weeks holidays a year period. High time to level up the playing field. It's not the MINIMUM WAGE that's the problem, it's all the excess bullsh*t for the annointed.

Upper managment is upper management whether private or public and is paid accordingly. $200K is not a whole helluva lot.

That would just do the wife and I nicely for the rest of our lives. :smile::smile::smile::smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If so then I'd suggest it's high time certain changes were made. When I started out as a young feller (and you no doubt did too) we considered it fair that we be paid for the work that we DID. This whole wage situation has grown into being a monster with at least a dozen reasons and occasions where people are paid for NOT working. Meanwhile those working the bottom end of the scale for an astute business man get paid for what they do and perhaps 3 weeks holidays a year period. High time to level up the playing field. It's not the MINIMUM WAGE that's the problem, it's all the excess bullsh*t for the annointed.

JLM the Kelowna fire chief probably makes a hundred grand a year. When they hire a new chief he is going to demand roughly the same salary including a hefty termination package. This is not unusual.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

That would just do the wife and I nicely for the rest of our lives. :smile::smile::smile::smile:
Did you have a contract when you were working for minimum wage?

If you did you'd be making a salary.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM the Kelowna fire chief probably makes a hundred grand a year. When they hire a new chief he is going to demand roughly the same salary including a hefty termination package. This is not unusual.

I have no problem with a firechief earning $100,000 a year- I do have a problem with anyone who gets paid $200 grand for doing nothing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Did you have a contract when you were working for minimum wage?

If you did you'd be making a salary.

Yeah right!!!!!!!!! That would have been 1963- in Villeneuve Alta- $1 an hour 10 hour days, 2 hours at 11/2 times plus $3 a day travel allowance and no break for lunch. That was on a seismic crew. After about a month I quit, oh yeah, I forgot I had one more plum job after that working as janitor and upholsteror in a furniture factory in Cowtown for $1 an hour. I quit that one after about a month. I never thought to check for severance cheques at either of those outfits. Maybe I should go back and check. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
His severance was 1 month for every year of service. That's not completely unheard of.

Sure would be interesting to know what exactly was going on, though.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Not knowing what his contract says, or why he was terminated, it's rather pointless to comment on his severance package.

So why is it all such a big secret? AS the employer I think the taxpayer has the right to know.

His severance was 1 month for every year of service. That's not completely unheard of.

Sure would be interesting to know what exactly was going on, though.

So you mean his pay was over $50 grand a month? That makes no sense to me at all. (oooooooops I forgot about the "new math") :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yep, there is certainly "Something rotten in Denmark". :lol::lol::lol: