U.K. tourism guide warns Canadians are sensitive

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

U.K. tourism guide warns Canadians are sensitive - CTV News

LONDON — Are Canadians easily offended? British tourism officials seem to think so.

New tourism guidelines for the 2012 London Olympics warn that Canadians can be overly sensitive, especially about their national identity.

Seeking to improve the sometimes frosty welcome on offer to tourists, VisitBritain has issued advice on how best to handle foreign visitors.

The advice says Canadian tourists are likely to be upset if mistaken for U.S. citizens.

Britons are also advised to show patience when dealing with guests from India or the United Arab Emirates, and to brush off coarse jokes from Australians or Argentines.

Americans won't hesitate to complain when things go wrong, the guide suggests.

Britain expects about 320,000 extra visitors from overseas during the London Olympics in July and August 2012.

Funny, I thought we were supposed to be apathetic, meh, oh well.... what'a'ya'gonna do?

And believe me, Australians get offended when they're mistaken for British.

What are your thoughts on this tourism guide's views, not just on their view of Canadians, but the other nations mentioned?

And for our friends from the US, what are your thoughts on their views of you?

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
handle them tactfully, huhh?

it will be enough if English people just smile and leave the diplomacy for friendship -it would be welcoming for tourists.

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I remember a quip of a former British PM, when faced with some testy remarks by a former Canadian PM, as to whether this wasn't an example of the famous Canadian inferiority complex.

I'd suggest that Canadians reciprocate for British attempts to be more hospitable, by themselves being more understanding of British upper crust arrogance and general sense of superiority.. especially over colonials. :smile:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I am sure many Americans B**** too much. I can't stand traveling domestically and running into people who are complaining about stupid stuff.

"Why didn't you hold the plane up for my friend...she bought a ticket like everyone else"- whining traveler

"Because the plane needs to go and people want to leave"- stewardess

"So, she bought a ticket like everyone else on this plane.'-stupid whining traveler

Yeah...that happened leaving Las Vegas.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm curious about the next two minutes duration after the video above stopped.

Anyway? Canadians are sensitive if confused with Americans? Really? Whatever.
I don't see a whole lot of difference between Canadians & Americans myself, so
I'd understand someone from off the continent confusing citizens of the two
nations.

I KNOW that I sound much more like someone from the upper mid-west US than I
would sound like someone from much of eastern Canada. Oh well....

Oh yeah, what's with the dancing trouser-snakes in the O.P. anyway?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

U.K. tourism guide warns Canadians are sensitive - CTV News

Funny, I thought we were supposed to be apathetic, meh, oh well.... what'a'ya'gonna do?

And believe me, Australians get offended when they're mistaken for British.

What are your thoughts on this tourism guide's views, not just on their view of Canadians, but the other nations mentioned?

Sounds like a lot of nonsense. I expect to be mistaken for an American when I travel. After all there are more of them. And I refuse to wear a maple leaf pin.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Sounds like a lot of nonsense. I expect to be mistaken for an American when I travel. After all there are more of them. And I refuse to wear a maple leaf pin.

So do I.

The funny thing is the first time I was in London, in a pub, the barman thought my accent was Irish, not North American 8O

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What made me laugh was a waiter in Nice who had lived for 10 years in Montreal, mistaking us for American based on my hubby's french. Coming from the prairies, his french is nowhere near the same as the Montreal area, so he assumed we were American. That was the only time being mistaken for American was even noteworthy, but only because it highlighted how coarse prairie french is... lol.