"Serial killer" Bamber vows to prove his sister carried out murders of family

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
"Serial killer" Bamber vows to prove his sister carried out murders of family

Convicted mass killer Jeremy Bamber, jailed for life for murdering his adoptive family, has vowed to prove that his schizophrenic sister Sheila was behind the 1985 killings.

Bamber, 49, who has spent half of his life in prison and has been told he will die there, the nearest thing Britain has at the moment to the death penalty, continues to insist he is innocent of murdering dad Nevill, mum June, Sheila, and Sheila's six-year-old twin sons Nicholas and Daniel at their remote farmhouse in Tolleshunt d'Arcy in August 1985.

Sheila Caffell, nicknamed Bambi, who was schizophrenic, was 26 at the time of her murder by her adoptive brother, but Bamber vows to prove that it was actually SHE who killed her family before turning the gun on her herself.

And in an astonishing 14-page letter to the Daily Mirror which he wrote from the hospital wing at HMP Full Sutton near York, he says he feels guilty for not tackling his sister's schizophrenia before the killing spree.

Bamber says: “How do I view Sheila? With sadness now, as I have lived with many people with schizophrenia and so don’t blame Sheila any more – if anything I feel guilty for not understanding about her condition and helping her more."

He also he says he was convicted by the evidence of ex-girlfriend Julie Mugford hellbent on revenge.

“I’ve stopped feeling angry – I suppose in revealing all that I know about my case in books and stuff, Julie and Co will be shamed publicly, that’s if they don’t go to jail, and I have no desire to see them or even for them to say sorry – the fact everyone will finally know the truth will be enough.

“We now have evidence to directly link Sheila in a struggle with my dad in the kitchen, a clear forensic link that is compelling to say the least.

But Bamber's cousin, David Boutflour, has said said Bamber was as “guilty as hell”.

In 1986, Bamber was convicted of shooting dead his family with a .22 rifle at their farmhouse in Tolleshunt d'Arch, Essex on 7th August 1985.

He was sentenced to five life terms, with a recommendation that he serve at least 25 years. In 1994 then Home Secretary Michael Howard ruled that he must spend the rest of his life in jail, a decision upheld by the High Court in May 2008.

But now, there is compelling evidence to show that Bamber is, indeed, telling the truth when he says that it was his schizophrenic adoptive sister Bambi, not him, who killed his family.

On Thursday, the Daily Mirror revealed how a lost police phonelog may help back up his claims about Bambi, 26, being guilty of the killings in Tolleshunt d’Arcy.

The document suggests their dad, 61, had called police saying his “daughter” had “gone berserk” with a gun and the Criminal Cases Review Commission is due to announce within weeks if it has referred Bamber’s case to the Court of Appeal.

Convicted killer Jeremy Bamber feels guilty for not helping the “crazed” sister he claims slaughtered their family

By Jon Clements
6/08/2010
The Daily Mirror

Jeremy Bamber is serving life in jail for the murder of his family in 1985

Farmhouse killer Jeremy Bamber says he no longer blames his sister for what he claims she did – but he has still vowed to prove that she carried out the murders.

He reveals today he wishes he had helped to tackle sister Sheila’s schizophrenia before the gruesome shootings.

Bamber, 49, insists he is innocent of murdering dad Nevill, mum June, Sheila, and her twin sons Nicholas and Daniel at their remote farmhouse in 1985.

And in an astonishing 14-page letter to the Daily Mirror, he says he was convicted by the evidence of an ex-girlfriend hellbent on revenge. But his own cousin David Boutflour last night said Bamber was as “guilty as hell”.

Bamber’s letter, written from his prison’s hospital wing, says: “How do I view Sheila?

“With sadness now, as I have lived with many people with schizophrenia and so don’t blame Sheila any more – if anything I feel guilty for not understanding about her condition and helping her more.

“And I do have happy memories too.”

He claims troubled model Sheila, who was also known as Bambi, killed her children and parents before turning the gun on herself after going berserk.

A distraught-looking Jeremy Bamber with his then-girlfriend Julie Mugford at his adoptive sister Sheila's funeral in 1985. Bamber says he was framed by Julie.

And he says his ex-girlfriend Julie Mugford wrongly told detectives he had boasted of hiring a hitman to kill his family after she discovered he had cheated on her.

The letter says: “As for those who’ve done me wrong, the police/CPS will pursue anyone who needs to be pursued.

“I’ve stopped feeling angry – I suppose in revealing all that I know about my case in books and stuff, Julie and Co will be shamed publicly, that’s if they don’t go to jail, and I have no desire to see them or even for them to say sorry – the fact everyone will finally know the truth will be enough.

“We now have evidence to directly link Sheila in a struggle with my dad in the kitchen, a clear forensic link that is compelling to say the least.

“Sheila’s psychiatry files were not released to us. So building a case against Sheila has not been easy but we have pretty much done so.

“No doubt when my conviction is overturned a public enquiry of some sort will get access to this material and prove without doubt that Sheila was responsible.

“Twenty-five years have passed since I came to prison – the outside world is very different, and of course, so am I.

Life behind bars: Jeremy Bamber in 2002

“It’ll take me some time to learn about all the new things and think about what I might like to do.

“If a little money comes my way, buying a small farm would perhaps be fulfilling a dream but who knows what opportunities will come my way, or if my inheritance will be returned? We’ll wait and see.

“But I’d like to tell my story to give hope to those who feel like giving up – because you never know what is around the next corner and so the trick is to always hope that there is something that will help.”

At the trial, Bamber was accused of behaving inappropriately after the murders and buying champagne for pals the evening after his parents’ funeral.

Crime scene: The farmhouse in Tolleshunt D'Arcy, Essex, where Bamber killed his family in 1985

Bamber said: “You ask me whether I would have done things differently, as if I had control over how I coped with the grief of losing my whole family.

“I am certainly not alone in turning to alcohol in sorrow – nor in seeking the company of others who cared about me.”

Yesterday, the Mirror revealed how a lost police phonelog may help back up his claims about Bambi, 26, being guilty of the killings in Tolleshunt d’Arcy, Essex.

Victim: Model Sheila Caffel, nicknamed Bambi, was murdered on August 7, 1985 by Bamber. But was she actually the real killer?

The document suggests their dad, 61, had called police saying his “daughter” had “gone berserk” with a gun and the Criminal Cases Review Commission is due to announce within weeks if it has referred Bamber’s case to the Court of Appeal.

His cousin David Boutflour, from Harwich in Essex, played a key role in the case after he uncovered a blood-stained gun silencer inside the farmhouse.

And he said yesterday: “He’s as guilty as hell and should spend the rest of his life in jail.

“I have a family and if he was ever let out I would be seriously concerned for the safety of us all.

“It would be a terrible injustice if he were ever to get off on a technicality.”

But Bamber – who is serving a full life sentence in HMP Full Sutton, near York – maintains an unshakable belief that he will walk free one day.

He concluded his letter in bizarre fashion by saying he had a “toothache that shows no mercy”.

Bamber added: “If I’d known of the pain later, the joy of those lollipops at 10 years old does not in any way compensate for what it’s caused.

“Ouch, it’s hurting like, well, bad. Yours sincerely Jeremy Bamber.”

mirror.co.uk

Last edited:

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
Re: "Serial killer" Bamber vows to prove his sister carried out murders of family

i feel sorry for him , i wonder if he gets off and there will be any or enough compensation for that...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Re: "Serial killer" Bamber vows to prove his sister carried out murders of family

i feel sorry for him , i wonder if he gets off and there will be any or enough compensation for that...
Not that he'll have a lot of privacy to do so, but the finale should be satisfying enough compensation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

After the case of David Milgaard, you can never tell for sure, but personally I'd need more than his sayso to acquit him. But you just can't never tell. :smile::smile: