Ottawa to make Canada less inviting for U.S. deserters

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Ottawa to make Canada less inviting for U.S. deserters - CTV News

OTTAWA — The Conservative government has given immigration officers tough new marching orders for dealing with military deserters seeking refuge in Canada, painting them as criminals who may be inadmissible.

The Immigration Department is leaning on officers to give a more critical assessment in new cases and telling them to report more often about existing files.

The department recently issued a bulletin to field officers saying flight from military service in another country may make certain refugee claimants inadmissible.

The new directive points to existing provisions of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act -- sections that bar refugees from Canada on the "grounds of serious criminality" -- in order to make the case.

"Desertion is an offence in Canada under the National Defence Act," says the notice, issued July 22.

"The maximum punishment for desertion under section 88 of the (National Defence Act) is life imprisonment, if the person committed the offence on active service or under orders for active service. Consequently, persons who have deserted the military in their country of origin may be inadmissible to Canada."

The bulletin stops short of imposing a flat ban on deserters entering the country and instructs immigration officers to seek guidance from regional advisers when dealing with deserters applying for permanent residence. It also tells them to notify the department's case management branch when any new refugee claims are filed or high-profile ones are updated.

Critics charged the Conservatives were singling out deserters and discriminating against them.

Officials in Immigration Minister Jason Kenney's office were not available to comment, but a department spokesman denied deserters are being treated any differently and other cases also merit close scrutiny.

"We would track war criminals up in our cases management branch; we would track cases involving high-profile individuals," said Doug Kellam.

"There's lots of categories that are like that in which we are interested in making sure we've got them on our radar and we track them as they go."

Still, Michelle Robidoux of the War Resisters Support Campaign said the directive smacked of politics.

"Why create this new, high-profile contentious case pool for military resisters?" she asked. "To me it's an ideological thing. It not based on need because there is already a process in place for screen out people who are criminally inadmissible."

Last month, the Federal Court of Appeal ruled that immigration officers must consider a soldier's beliefs and motivations when deciding on humanitarian applications for permanent residence. The court was dealing with the case of Jeremy Hinzman, a former paratrooper who bailed on the Iraq war as a conscientious objector.

The three-judge appeals panel ruled that an immigration officer's decision to reject Hinzman's application for permanent residence was "significantly flawed" and unreasonable and ordered that another officer at the refugee board look at the application.

There are up to 40 self-styled war resisters in Canada, according to figures from a support network. How many of them are actual deserters is not clear.

Conservatives have shown no sympathy and even less patience with what Kenney described last year as "bogus refugee claimants."

Previously released Access to Information documents make a clear distinction between the current crop of conscientious objectors and those who fled to Canada by the thousands in the 1960s.

The Conservatives have stated that unlike Vietnam, individuals coming to Canada throughout the Iraq war voluntarily joined the United States military and deserted.

Liberal MP Gerard Kennedy described the bulletin as "reckless" and accused the Conservatives of political interference and manipulation.

"These people are entitled to a fair hearing and have their case considered on its merits," he said.

"The courts have started to increasingly rule that conscientious objection is a legitimate grounds for humanitarian and compassionate consideration in Canada. They shouldn't be using what is essentially a propaganda process to try and contain this. They should let an objective process take place."

The House of Commons has twice passed non-binding motions to halt deportation proceedings against American conscientious objectors trying to stay in Canada. A private members bill, to give the motions legislative weight, is due to be debated this fall in Parliament.
Doesn't really surprise me, as I figured once the courts did something the Conservatives didn't like or agree with, they'd soon try and plop out there some new political mumbo jumbo to twist things back into their favor... it wouldn't be the first time they did this...... if they can't appeal a court decision, then they change the rules.

As mentioned in the above report, they already have procedures in place to filter out people who are criminally inadmissible and the courts already ruled on how to treat these War Resister cases..... yet now suddenly the Conservatives feel they need to toss this out?

What an odd coincidence. :-?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Maybe as well as conscientious objectors and the like, they should deny jaywalkers, too.
It's all good as long as they ignore the scam artists, rapists, and other real criminals in Canada, right?
Looks like a ploy to brown-nose US military authority.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
We have people from countries with real problems applying for asylum-we don't need fakers from other rich countries who volunteered and now have cold feet.

The simple fact is that if someone wants to leave the US military it's easy to get thrown out-go AWOL for a couple weeks then show up not having showered or shaved/looking like you've been on a bender-you'll be gone in a few days.

What's the problem?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
We have people from countries with real problems applying for asylum-we don't need fakers from other rich countries who volunteered and now have cold feet.

The simple fact is that if someone wants to leave the US military it's easy to get thrown out-go AWOL for a couple weeks then show up not having showered or shaved/looking like you've been on a bender-you'll be gone in a few days.

What's the problem?

EXACTLY!

These folks signed up, they were not drafted, they were not forced.

Either way, one day they will have to face the music. They were fools for deserting and now they are going to have to pay.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yup! Sign up to serve your country only to find out you are a mercenary for the military/industrial complex. Idiots!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Cowards all of them, refusing to take the punishment for breaking the law and more importantly their word to their country.
Yup! Right up there with murders and rapists. Military recruiters lie to poor people living in ghettos about creating a new life for themselves, getting an education, etc knowing full well that they will be nothing more than cannon fodder, asked to do the dirty work for the rich. Many of them come back from places like Iraq broken physically, mentally and spiritually. Many commit suicide, become junkies and alcoholics, ignored by veteran affairs and the government in general. They are the disposable of society. Their country really doesn't care about them but they are supposed to care about the country that abandons them. I have seen too many wrecks coming back from wars to give the military any credit and certainly not the countries that treat them like so much human garbage. Too many of them get used up and thrown out. It takes incredible courage to leave their families and friends behind to start a new life in a different country and welcome them to Canada with open arms.

If this gets me another bad rep, I don't care. Canada should be a refuge for peace loving people. The military/industrial complex can eat my shorts.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
From a Canadian POV, fussing over relatively harmless dodgers, cowardly or not, is simply stupid when there are foreign people here who have done some really criminal things. Get rid of the nasties before you get rid of the unpleasant.
But, I guess logic isn't a strong point with politicians.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I can't remember the last time I read more lies and Bee Ess in one post than the rot as posted.
Why thank you. You can always use it to fertilize your garden. See, it is much more useful than the military/industrial complex which prefers to destroys stuff.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
From a Canadian POV, fussing over relatively harmless dodgers, cowardly or not, is simply stupid when there are foreign people here who have done some really criminal things. Get rid of the nasties before you get rid of the unpleasant.
But, I guess logic isn't a strong point with politicians.
AnnaG - it is pure politics - But I agree with the nasties that should be gone. As to deserters - Send them back -

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yup! Right up there with murders and rapists.

Nope, they'll be charged with desertion.

Military recruiters lie to poor people living in ghettos about creating a new life for themselves, getting an education, etc knowing full well that they will be nothing more than cannon fodder, asked to do the dirty work for the rich.

Nah, that's just what the whinners say. When a small percentage realize that the military isn't for them the first thing they say is that their recruiter lied.

The notion that the military is all poor people from ghettos has been proven false over and over.

Many of them come back from places like Iraq broken physically, mentally and spiritually. Many commit suicide, become junkies and alcoholics, ignored by veteran affairs and the government in general.

More silliness.

They are the disposable of society.

They are also our police, firemen, politicians, airline pilots, businessmen and women, nurses, doctors, etc.

Their country really doesn't care about them but they are supposed to care about the country that abandons them.

Yet they have more advantages than people who did not join the military as they should.

I have seen too many wrecks coming back from wars to give the military any credit and certainly not the countries that treat them like so much human garbage. Too many of them get used up and thrown out

Really? I doubt you have at all.

It takes incredible courage to leave their families and friends behind to start a new life in a different country and welcome them to Canada with open arms.

They will all end up back here soon and get what they deserve.

If this gets me another bad rep, I don't care. Canada should be a refuge for peace loving people. The military/industrial complex can eat my shorts.

lol. Please...someday you'll wake up.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Defending your country is one thing. Participating in a war crime is another. Iraq falls clearly into the war crime category.

Iraq war was illegal and breached UN charter, says Annan | World news | The Guardian

Claiming you were just following orders is no defense.

It is the individual Soldier that commits the War Crime - This following orders crap of yours is right out of Hiller's Germany

Did Soldiers commit War Crimes - yes - Why -Sometimes you fuk up - and the good ones realize that and carry that horror with them till they die.

You have no freaking idea of what it is like to be where they are - to follow Rules of Engagement as per Gen MaCrystals orders - as they do in Afghanistan that results in more soldiers killed - Why - Politics -

You have no idea of what you have to do within a second or 2 -
You have no idea of what it takes to make the right decision in those few seconds -
Why - because you have never had to -
Never had to make a decision where your self or your troops lived or died -
Basically - You have no idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Nope, they'll be charged with desertion.

Nah, that's just what the whinners say. When a small percentage realize that the military isn't for them the first thing they say is that their recruiter lied.

The notion that the military is all poor people from ghettos has been proven false over and over.

More silliness.

They are also our police, firemen, politicians, airline pilots, businessmen and women, nurses, doctors, etc.

Yet they have more advantages than people who did not join the military as they should.

Really? I doubt you have at all.

They will all end up back here soon and get what they deserve.

lol. Please...someday you'll wake up.

Wake up to what, your reality? I don't think so.

You don't know who I've met, where I've been, or what I know. You think that my world view being opposite to yours makes me ignorant? I have lived most of the last forty years with draft dodgers, deserters and guys who have served and left their country because of the atrocities they witnessed. I knew a guy up in Quesnel who was in a wheel chair because of his injuries in Nam and the Veterans Affairs cut him of his pension. He had to return to the US to fight for his rights and those of his fellow combatants who were cut off. Now you have a large group of Iraq veterans against war. How many hundreds have come back and ended up committing suicide? No I have a firm grip on reality but I think you are blinded by your patriotism.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Wake up to what, your reality? I don't think so.

You don't know who I've met, where I've been, or what I know. You think that my world view being opposite to yours makes me ignorant? I have lived most of the last forty years with draft dodgers, deserters and guys who have served and left their country because of the atrocities they witnessed. I knew a guy up in Quesnel who was in a wheel chair because of his injuries in Nam and the Veterans Affairs cut him of his pension. He had to return to the US to fight for his rights and those of his fellow combatants who were cut off. Now you have a large group of Iraq veterans against war. How many hundreds have come back and ended up committing suicide? No I have a firm grip on reality but I think you are blinded by your patriotism.

You have lived forty years with draft dodgers and deserters...well there you go! lol. I would not expect them to be whistling the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

How many hundreds of the millions that have served? How many hundreds of former college grads committed suicide? How many hundreds of non-military and non-college grads committed suicide?

Save me your tears.

Send the deserters home to justice. They are just making it worse for themselves. They will get a year in the slammer, a DISHONORABLE DISCHARGE and then they can go back to you folks and you can care for them.