Older couple missing on trip to B.C.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
they did arrest a man yesterday, whom they had been looking for in connection with this
tragedy, but it is only for questioning, but he does have a criminal record, and the locals
are concerned about him, so maybe they are on to something.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think this is one of those ones that no one`s bothered to post yet because there just isn`t anything to say other than the usual condolences to the family.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have lots of interest in following the story, watching and hoping for a break in the case,
and someone brought forward, who will be exposed, found guilty and punished for the dirty deed.
I'm also watching each day, hoping they will recover their bodies, or possibly find
them alive, which is a long shot.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
They arrested two people yesterday and I imagine they have been questioning both of them fairly intensively. I hope one of these guys
has some knowledge about the whereabouts of this old couple.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
They arrested two people yesterday and I imagine they have been questioning both of them fairly intensively. I hope one of these guys
has some knowledge about the whereabouts of this old couple.

didn't know they had arrested a second person.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I didn't know they had arrested a second person either. The first article regarding an arrest stated that the mother of the man arrested wanted her son to turn himself in so there must have been a reason she wanted him to do that.

Isn't it odd that there is nothing at all in today's news regarding this case. They were questioning the second man yesterday or since it was only reported yesterday, maybe they were questioning him the day before. This does not look good and it has not since the beginning. I cannot begin to imagine the horror this poor family is going through.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've been following this case for several weeks now and it is getting a bit depressing. I'm having trouble coming up with a scenario
where the McCannns could survive. I hope there is a way but I don't see it at the moment

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I've been following this case for several weeks now and it is getting a bit depressing. I'm having trouble coming up with a scenario
where the McCannns could survive. I hope there is a way but I don't see it at the moment

no I don't see it either, reminds me of the case back in the 80s, the mcdonalds and the bentleys?, not
sure of the second name, i've proabably got it wrong, similar scenario, some sicko who lived in the
bush way up in the caribou or interior of b.c., stopped the 'two' families, murdered all of them,
shoved their vehicles over a ravine, and the rest is a blurr now after all these years, but it was
a horrible time for those families, they must have suffered something awful, and they were also just
on an innocent vacation through b.c. taking some back roads here and there.

maybe someone has a more detailed recollection of that incident, but as soon as I heard about this
recent one, I immediately flashed back to the other one.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
The McCanns have been missing for some time now.

CBC News - Canada - Missing couple: Timeline of the McCann case,

The couple were traveling in a large motorhome and towing a Hyundai SUV. The motorhome was found burned down
to the wheels and later the SUV was found a short distance away but there is no sign of the McCanns.

Comments?

What appropriate comment could I possibly make? Time to reinstate the death penalty?

no I don't see it either, reminds me of the case back in the 80s, the mcdonalds and the bentleys?, not
sure of the second name, i've proabably got it wrong, similar scenario, some sicko who lived in the
bush way up in the caribou or interior of b.c., stopped the 'two' families, murdered all of them,
shoved their vehicles over a ravine, and the rest is a blurr now after all these years, but it was
a horrible time for those families, they must have suffered something awful, and they were also just

maybe someone has a more detailed recollection of that incident, but as soon as I heard about this

I think you have the BEntley's right, but MacDonald doesn't ring a bell.

I didn't know they had arrested a second person either. The first article regarding an arrest stated that the mother of the man arrested wanted her son to turn himself in so there must have been a reason she wanted him to do that.

Isn't it odd that there is nothing at all in today's news regarding this case. They were questioning the second man yesterday or since it was only reported yesterday, maybe they were questioning him the day before. This does not look good and it has not since the beginning. I cannot begin to imagine the horror this poor family is going through.

Nothing odd about it VanIsle. Wouldn't you think a high priced lawyer has told him to keep his mouth shut? A lot of these lawyers are on a par with the swill they are protecting. :lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Chances are along with questoning was probably a psych assessment or polygram.

I hope the familiy gets some closure soon. I heard their son on the radio yesterday and he has high hopes.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I sink very low when I here of wanton destruction not only of human lives but the childish pleasure taken in destruction of their trip, their facilities they were moving on their trip - their dreams lost.

What has become of humanity when one (or more) is so depraved that stealing or destruction of property is never enough - but the taking of lives the final act.

Is there any humanity left in those lives? What did life do to them to create such monsters?

When the news stories are not complete we all become "authors of fate" and amazing what we assume to be
probability because we in our modern lives blessed with gratification and wealth - still kill each other for pleasure or revenge when it gains nothing to the perpetrator's crazed life.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

I believe that was the Johnson's and the Bentleys. They were located near Clearwater which is about an hour out of Kamloops.

Chances are along with questoning was probably a psych assessment or polygram.

I hope the familiy gets some closure soon. I heard their son on the radio yesterday and he has high hopes.
After this news report, I doubt anyone has high hopes. Lawyers usually only quit when they know their client is guilty and they don't want to represent such a client............

EDSON, Alta. - A lawyer for a man considered a person of interest in the disappearance of a missing Alberta couple has quit.
Travis Edward Vader, 38, was to appear in provincial court in Edson, Alta., on Tuesday on three charges of possession of stolen property. The charges are among numerous others he faces that are unrelated to the case of Lyle and Marie McCann, who vanished more than two weeks ago.
Lawyer Brad Thomlinson showed up instead and told the judge he no longer wanted to represent Vader. He said his client had already missed several court dates and was very difficult to reach.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005

I believe you are thinking of the Smith and Johnson/Bentley families who were vacationing in the interior when they were stalked
and killed by a Freak called Shearing. The victims were four adults and two young girls aged 13 and 11.. The police chased leads as far east as Quebec
before finally finding the family in their burned out vehicles only a short distance from where the killer lived. The police thought the two young girls attracted the killer who kept the youngsters alive for a few days after he killed the adults

Parole Denied for Killer Who Murdered B.C. FamilyGeorge and Edith Bentley, their daughter Jackie Johnson, son-in-law Bob and grandchildren Janet, 13, and Karen, 11, were camping in Wells Gray Park in the B.C. Interior in August 1982. About a month later, the charred remains of three generations of the Bentley-Johnson family were found in the burned-out husk of their car on the side of a mountain.
David Ennis (a.k.a. David Shearing) confessed he kept Janet and Karen Johnson alive for six days so that he could act out his violent and “sadistic” sexual fantasies. Ennis finally shot both girls in the head, loaded them in the trunk of the car with the bodies of their dead parents and grandparents and set it ablaze.

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
they did arrest a man yesterday, whom they had been looking for in connection with this
tragedy, but it is only for questioning, but he does have a criminal record, and the locals
are concerned about him, so maybe they are on to something.

Yep and six weeks later his status has changed from person of interest to "suspect", it's time I think to put the vice on his testicles and maybe he'll sing. :smile:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Then you are well aware of how the RCMP screwed this up from day 1

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Then you are well aware of how the RCMP screwed this up from day 1

While the RCMP didn't present a shining example of law enforcement or crime busting, this is a case that will require
a giant breakthrough if it ever is to be solved. I doubt that the victims knew their attackers so there is no obvious connection
or motive. We'll be talking and wondering about this crime for decades.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
While the RCMP didn't present a shining example of law enforcement or crime busting, this is a case that will require
a giant breakthrough if it ever is to be solved. I doubt that the victims knew their attackers so there is no obvious connection
or motive. We'll be talking and wondering about this crime for decades.

Assuming (possibly prematurely) that Vader is the culprit and assuming (possibly erroneously) that he isn't any brighter than he looks he may be chatting about it in the cell with another "prisoner".

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Assuming (possibly prematurely) that Vader is the culprit and assuming (possibly erroneously) that he isn't any brighter than he looks he may be chatting about it in the cell with another "prisoner".

I had forgotten about Vader. He was originally arrested for something else entirely but apparently the mounties
think he looks guilty or looks like a reasonable suspect in the McCann case,