Police Missing a Knob

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Now here is an officer that embarrassses other officers - Needs more training in dealing with the public

Toronto's 'Officer Bubbles' gains web notoriety - thestar.com

He's now known as “Officer Bubbles.”
YouTube - G20 Policing: From Bubbles to Bookings?

Courtney Winkels blows bubbles during the G20 summit on June 27, 2010, in front of police officers, including Const. Adam Josephs, who is now known as "Officer Bubbles."

Const. Adam Josephs has gained considerable notoriety after being caught on tape threatening to arrest a G20 protester for blowing bubbles.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Reason # 168 for me not moving back to Toronto. Some folks just can't handle the responsibility of having a badge and a gun, they can be scary, Robert Dczykansky's demise is a case in point. How many more have to suffer at the hands of authoritarians before we realise we are under threat of becoming a police state?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
C'mon...she was blowing bubbles right in their face. Surely they are not harmful but her intent was obviously to antagonize and start trouble. I did not see them beating her.

That cop sounds just like people from Minnesota.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Any unwanted or unlawful contact, with any substance, from water to spit, chemicals such as soap to perfume, is assault under the criminal, full stop. If you want the exact sections, let me know, I'll provide them.

If you can't wrap your heads around that, I pity you. The Officer was doing his job, within the bounds of the law.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I just wonder how they would feel wearing the badge and having someone stand right in front of them and start blowing bubbles in their face. The girl knew exactly what she was doing. She wanted to p*** them off and get some good footage for the INet.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Interseting video, still doesn't change the fact that blowing bubbles at someone is still a criminal offense.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hmm.... The breeze should be charged for aiding and abetting.

One cop with attitude paints a target on ten good cops.
Funny, the guy that spit on me years ago at a rally in Tdot, when I took offense to him burning a flag, thought the cop was being a fascist too, when he arrested him for assault. I didn't even know was assault, until the Officer told him it was.

Unfortunately for some people, the law is what it is. You can not spit at, pour, shower, throw, or otherwise apply any fluid, noxious or otherwise on someone without consent. It's called assault, full stop.

You may find it funny that an Officer has an issue with "bubbles", but where does it stop? This is how authority is broken down, this is where disrespect for that authority grows and starts to eat away at the fabric of society.

I would never be so ignorant as to say you should never question authority, you should. Vigorously and often. But to challenge authority is something altogether different and the authorities should react under the guidance of the law, in a just and lawful manner.

That is exactly what this Officer did, she heeded his warnings and there was no escalation. I take my hat off to both of them.

Last edited:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Those ten good cops might say something to the effect of: "Miss, will you please stop blowing bubbles for a moment?" ... then go into the growly bear act if she persisted. Respect goes both ways.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Those ten good cops might say something to the effect of: "Miss, will you please stop blowing bubbles for a moment?" ... then go into the growly bear act if she persisted. Respect goes both ways.
Ya, that's exactly what he did, he warned her. That's all that's required. Actually, that's not even required. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ya, that's exactly what he did, he warned her. That's all that's required. Actually, that's not even required. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.
Confrontation begets confrontation. His attitude didn't diffuse a situation. It created one.

Funny little double standard there.... The law wants to stamp out bullying ... and give such shining examples.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Confrontation begets confrontation. His attitude didn't diffuse a situation. It created one.
Huh? He told her that she was breaking the law, how is that creating a situation?

Is he supposed to stand there and be disrespected?

Is he supposed to stand there and allow himself to be assaulted, contrary to the criminal code?

I wouldn't expect an Officer to take that from anyone.

Funny little double standard there.... The law wants to stamp out bullying ... and give such shining examples.
C'mon LW, I think you're being a little unfair in this situation.

That scene was already tense, the young lady was obviously part of the reason for the tension, he warned her, she acquiesced. End of situation.

If you are too slow to dodge a bubble you shouldn't be a cop.
Again, irrelevant to the law. Simply taking a swing at a cop is an offense.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Huh? He told her that she was breaking the law, how is that creating a situation?

First step is the request to cease and desist. There's a psychology to this, you know....

Is he supposed to stand there and be disrespected?

No.... Nor will he win any by threatening to escalate the situation.

Is he supposed to stand there and allow himself to be assaulted, contrary to the criminal code?

She had stopped. He kept nagging. Somehow, I suspect the officer may be looking at some Police Act violations too....

I wouldn't expect an Officer to take that from anyone.

No ... hey, one bubble stain on the uniform. Sheesh! What bubble is going to get behind his glasses. The lady cop's were on her hat. I mean ... where's the blind adherence to dress code?

C'mon LW, I think you're being a little unfair in this situation.

I think the cop was one of those walking attitudes who invite confrontation.

That scene was already tense, the young lady was obviously part of the reason for the tension, he warned her, she acquiesced. End of situation.

Not really. Was the fellow who voiced his offence with the cop's attitude a member of her gang ... or just someone who was genuinely offended - especially since he appeared like an older gent who may well be accustomed to the "friendly cop" image of yesteryear?

Again, irrelevant to the law. Simply taking a swing at a cop is an offense.

Blind obedience to authority is somewhat offensive to some.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
First step is the request to cease and desist. There's a psychology to this, you know....
Ya I know, that's why it's usually effective in ending situations without incident.

No.... Nor will he win any by threatening to escalate the situation.
Huh? Stating the outcome is not threatening, it's warning against it.

She had stopped. He kept nagging. Somehow, I suspect the officer may be looking at some Police Act violations too....
Are we watching the same video? She blew bubbles, he warned her, she stopped, the end.

No ... hey, one bubble stain on the uniform. Sheesh! What bubble is going to get behind his glasses. The lady cop's were on her hat. I mean ... where's the blind adherence to dress code?
What exactly does this have to do with the law?

I think the cop was one of those walking attitudes who invite confrontation.
Really, I didn't get that at all.
Not really. Was the fellow who voiced his offence with the cop's attitude a member of her gang ... or just someone who was genuinely offended - especially since he appeared like an older gent who may well be accustomed to the "friendly cop" image of yesteryear?
Now you're making assumptions. This is not a Cop walking a beat here, this was during a rally where tensions had risen.

Blind obedience to authority is somewhat offensive to some.
I agree, which is why I said...

I would never be so ignorant as to say you should never question authority, you should. Vigorously and often. But to challenge authority is something altogether different and the authorities should react under the guidance of the law, in a just and lawful manner.

Questioning and challenging are two different things in my eyes.

I think you and I are not going to agree here today. I say we agree to disagree, what say you?