JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm of two minds about it, sure nice to see a guy who has higher principals than the quest for the almighty dollar and the guts to stand firm on it. It would also be nice for the rest of the town folk to have a ticket out of poverty.
And when the ore runs out or gold prices plummet? Then what?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
And when the ore runs out or gold prices plummet? Then what?

The same as with any other mine- they are all finite. Speaking for myself in that situation, when the whole sh*teree finally collapses I'd plan to have some money in the bank.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
What is he saving? A 70 yr. old house that he's too insecure to leave? It's not like the neighbourhood is the same as when he grew up. I'm sure he can take the money and move 20 - 30 miles down the road and not feel like he's too far from "home". Obviously he's not holding out for more money. He's just being an ass.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
These stories always interest me. I agree with Van and some others, he is holding fast on principle AND being an ass. I wonder if he is thinking he can fight this out and get a big payoff when they finally force him out.

Years ago a restaurant wanted to expand his parking lot and bought 4 house lots. There was one holdout and he wanted a bigger payday. The owner built the lot around his house. Years later the homeowner approached the restaurant owner to sell and was refused and pretty much told to enjoy the view.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What is he saving? A 70 yr. old house that he's too insecure to leave? It's not like the neighbourhood is the same as when he grew up. I'm sure he can take the money and move 20 - 30 miles down the road and not feel like he's too far from "home". Obviously he's not holding out for more money. He's just being an ass.

In your opinion, VanIsle- "a man's home is his castle" and he's probably comfortable and doesn't want people dictating to him. He may also be not as flexible as some people.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I'm not sure having rattly dishes and quaking floors would feel much like home for long. There's holding out ... then, there's holding out too long. I empathize with the guy - but I know when the wise cut their losses too.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Me too Wolf. I see him wanting to stay and fight the good fight but sometimes you just can't beat City Hall. He should grab his 4 Million before the govt steps in and reassesses his house for $100K in a take it or leave it deal.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
In your opinion, VanIsle- "a man's home is his castle" and he's probably comfortable and doesn't want people dictating to him. He may also be not as flexible as some people.
Yes it is JLM. You well know that we all move from one castle to the next. He's still living in his Mama's house!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yes it is JLM. You well know that we all move from one castle to the next. He's still living in his Mama's house!

Yep, in most locations under most conditions it would be regarded as a "heritage house" and if you removed one board from one shutter you could be liable to serving out your life in prison. :lol::lol:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Expropriation: government theft of private land for corporate exploitation. Buying land only gives you the right to pay taxes. It is the biggest scam and it works on most people. As this case proves you have no other rights but to pay taxes that are used to screw you one way or another.