U.S. Website Suggests Moving to Canada:

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Popular U.S. website offers job advice amid latest economic data: Move to Canada - Yahoo! Canada News

A popular U.S. website has floated a unique suggestion for unemployed Americans desperately pounding the pavement in search of work.

The sagely advice? Move to Canada.

There was a fluttering Maple Leaf on the homepage Friday of the Huffington Post, a site popular for its news and celebrity blogs.

The accompanying headline read: Need A Job? Try Canada, Where Hiring Is Booming And Home Prices Are Rising.

The article was published amid news that Canada's economy added a whopping 93,200 new jobs last month; the U.S., meanwhile, continues to struggle with unemployment woes.

The bottom of the HuffPost article carried a poll, asking people whether they would be willing to move to Canada for work.

The results of that poll — which is by no means scientific — said 57 per cent would move to Canada if that's where the jobs are, while 16 per cent said they'd stay in the States.

The U.S. Department of Labor reports the American unemployment rate at 9.5 per cent, and not really improving, while Canada's was reported Friday at 7.9 per cent and dropping fast.

Economists say there are no easy answers as to why Canada is doing better — other than it just has a lot of different factors going for it.

"There’s no arguing with this strong report. The jobs picture clearly shows that the Canadian recovery hasn’t stalled yet, despite signs of slowing momentum in the U.S. and other economies," says Benjamin Reitzes of BMO Capital Markets.

Reitzes says Canada simply has had more going for it: exposure to commodities; a rebound in demand for Canadian manufactured goods; less indebted households with more money free to spend.

The Huffington Post article tells readers: "Stubbornly high unemployment rates got you down? Not sold on the economic recovery? Look no further than America's polite neighbor to the north, where jobs numbers are surging and home prices have been rising steadily for nearly a year.

"Last month, Canada, a nation with roughly one tenth of our population, created about 10,000 more new jobs than America."

Most of those Canadian jobs were created in Ontario and Quebec, which accounted for 90,000 hires.

The Huffington Post article quickly generated more than 2,800 comments by 5:30 p.m. Friday.

That comment stream featured plenty of Canadian self-congratulation and, amusingly, at one point evolved into a conversation about hockey in which people mainly ridiculed the Toronto Maple Leafs.

One U.S. commenter said: "Congrats Canada! You didn't bail out your banks, home prices and sales have remained steady if not better, you have universal health-care, gay marriage and your still creating jobs? CANADA IS THE BEST PLACE TO LIVE."

A Canadian responded: "Finance does not run business in Canada, and business does not run politics."

But Canadians might not want to get too smug.

Experience suggests Americans don't tend to move here — even when the working conditions are favourable in the Great White North.

Manpower Canada's Byrne Luft said the previous experience in a tight labour market, when it was extremely difficult to find specific skills, was that U.S. workers were tough to lure.

It's a trend puzzling to employers, said Luft, vice-president of marketing for Manpower Canada.

"We would not get a lot of U.S. workers coming to Canada even though the pay was very attractive," he said.

"Those workers would stay in their country and that always amazed us because they were so close. . . Most of the workers came from abroad — Philipines, India, Eastern Europe, Western Europe."

What do you think about the site promoting Americans to move to Canada?

Second Question, what do you believe are the reasons why so few from the US bother to come here to look for work, even when the pay and opportunities are there?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I think we should post this on our southern borders

Second Question, what do you believe are the reasons why so few from the US bother to come here to look for work, even when the pay and opportunities are there?

The cold.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think self preservation is pretty hard to stop someone from engaging in. Encouraging people to move out frees up jobs, and, as with most people working abroad from foreign countries, it brings money back in when those people move home to retire, or come home having sorted their finances out. Win win win.

I think very few people from prosperous countries, percentage wise, move abroad. I know enough Americans who live here to know that we get some... I know more Americans working here than I know Canadians living abroad. Pay and opportunity simply aren't the be all and end all in human decision making. Happiness, family, etc., typically trump pay. To move away from what you know, your family, your friends, on the off chance that you'll be happy where you're going, is a hube risk if work is your only motivator.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Since there isn't any real difference between Canadians and Americans a move for pretty much any reason would not be that catastrophic, nothing as bad as moving to Europe or a place really far away. I personally would prefer a move to Vancouver than say San Francisco or LA.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Popular U.S. website offers job advice amid latest economic data: Move to Canada - Yahoo! Canada News

I think it's great that they suggest Canada as a destination. We share similar culture and language, it's a fairly easy transition and they are never far from home.

Just what we need, more ignorant americans moving here.

Does ignorance blend, Gerry? I would like to see the hybrid of you and an ignorant American.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Since there isn't any real difference between Canadians and Americans a move for pretty much any reason would not be that catastrophic, nothing as bad as moving to Europe or a place really far away. I personally would prefer a move to Vancouver than say San Francisco or LA.

Personally, if I'm going to uproot and leave my family and friends behind, I'll be MORE likely to do it for a change that IS drastic. Why haul your kids across a continent and away from friends and family if not to see some new and different culture? Moving to the US is definitely not on the top of my list of destinations. But then neither is, say, Vancouver.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

The cold.
Please tell me you are not an American who believes all of Canada is a frozen wasteland! Lots of Americans and lots of British people live on this Island I live on. BC is quite a warm province other than the very northern parts. The other provinces can be downright hot hot hot during the summer as much as here, and winters now days are seldom very cold anywhere in Canada. Ya, some of the provinces and some parts of BC as well get a couple of months cold weather but that's it! I thought people got past that myth long ago.:smile:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Personally, if I'm going to uproot and leave my family and friends behind, I'll be MORE likely to do it for a change that IS drastic. Why haul your kids across a continent and away from friends and family if not to see some new and different culture? Moving to the US is definitely not on the top of my list of destinations. But then neither is, say, Vancouver.

I dunno, Karrie, rain in the winter stead of lots and lots of snow. And cold.

Not that I"m goin, mind ya. Me anchor is stuck in the swamp. Snow and all.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I dunno, Karrie, rain in the winter stead of lots and lots of snow. And cold.

Not that I"m goin, mind ya. Me anchor is stuck in the swamp. Snow and all.

I'd rather snow and clear skies than constant overcast rainy season. It's much less depressing, and more fun to play in.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I think it shows more concern for Americans than the American administraton. :D

4 letter word: home. Another one pretty similar in spelling: hope.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

The cold.
lol
We like Mexicans and Cubans, too, yup.
Lemme see, average temperature for winter here was almost 34F and the total snowfall was almost 14".
Average temp for ID this winter was 19 and the snowfall was 31.3". :D

There's room here. :D Buyer's market for housing, too.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Please tell me you are not an American who believes all of Canada is a frozen wasteland! Lots of Americans and lots of British people live on this Island I live on. BC is quite a warm province other than the very northern parts. The other provinces can be downright hot hot hot during the summer as much as here, and winters now days are seldom very cold anywhere in Canada. Ya, some of the provinces and some parts of BC as well get a couple of months cold weather but that's it! I thought people got past that myth long ago.:smile:

I do not think that but it can get much colder up there than here. I'd have a tough time moving up to NH, Maine, or Vermont from Massachusetts.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
lol

Lemme see, average temperature for winter here was almost 34F and the total snowfall was almost 14".
Average temp for ID this winter was 19 and the snowfall was 31.3". :D

By ID I think you mean Idaho. Yeah, Idaho has brutal winters as well which is probably why it is sparcely populated.

Eagle, what kinda Marine is afraid of a bit of snow? lol

I'm not afraid of it...it simply sucks! We get plenty of snow in Massachusetts, I can't stand it as well as the cold weather here. Unfortunately my roots are too deep to move south.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'm not afraid of it...it simply sucks! We get plenty of snow in Massachusetts, I can't stand it as well as the cold weather here. Unfortunately my roots are too deep to move south.

I'm just busting your balls, I'm not much of a fan of the crap either, seen enough winters for my liking.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I'm just busting your balls, I'm not much of a fan of the crap either, seen enough winters for my liking.

I know you are. I am not taking offense. I would not want to live outside the Rt. 495 loop in Massachusetts as they get a little more snow than us folks inside the loop because we have the Ocean affect around here.