NYC authorities euthanize flock of 400 Canada geese

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

NYC authorities euthanize flock of 400 Canada geese - CTV News

Residents of New York City's Brooklyn borough learned Monday that a flock of about 400 Canada geese residing at a local park were captured and euthanized by wildlife authorities.

The geese were removed from Prospect Park on Thursday, The New York Times reported, and were later gassed with a fatal concentration of carbon dioxide.

Authorities in the city have been culling local populations of Canada's namesake goose since a U.S. Airways jetliner carrying 155 people was forced into an emergency landing on the Hudson River in January 2009. Two of the birds had been sucked into its engines, disabling the plane.

Since then authorities have been working to keep the iconic birds 11 kilometres away from the city's major airports, according to a wildlife official quoted by the newspaper. To that end about 1,200 Canada geese were captured in the area last summer.

"It's eerie to see a whole population gone," Anne-Katrin Titze, who fed the geese at Prospect Park every day, was quoted as saying. "There's not one goose on this lake. It looks as though they've been Photoshopped out."

One of the geese that disappeared from the park was known as Target because it had survived being struck by a crossbow bolt in June, and park authorities had been trying to capture it to treat the injury.

More than 100 Canada geese were also recently culled in the city of Bend, Oregon, on concerns that they were defecating in a local park.

The birds were placed in garbage cans and gassed with carbon dioxide, a local newspaper reported, before being served up as meals at local homeless shelters.
Residents of Bend planned to gather to mourn the birds last Thursday.

"I think a memorial like this will help people console each other," Foster Fell told a local newspaper. "I, myself, in the last few days have been nursing a tear in my eye and a lump in my throat."
I can understand reducing their population, but they just gassed an entire population and it sounds from those who visited the area often, that they wiped them all out......

.... all because of one incident of hitting a couple with a plane.... sure people could have died, but they didn't.

How many sea gulls do they hit?

How about Crows or other birds?

Pigeons??

Should they start wiping them all out as well?

Should take out a couple of them bald eagles too while they're at it... oh wait..... never mind.

Then you have another city wiping them all out because they don't like birds pooping in a park? Cripes....

I like how they use the word "Cull"

A cull is the act of removing animals from a larger group of those animals under certain criteria, usually removing undesirable traits from a group or to control a population to a manageable number..... as an example, the seal hunt is a cull because there is a set number allowed to be killed from the overall group during a limited period of time.

These people didn't cull, they killed every single bird they could find and wiped out entire flocks.

While this one action may not hold any serious damage to the overall species..... I'm a tad concerned about the possibility of them continually doing this annually with with little regulation except to snatch up as many as you can find and kill them without regard...... after a few years of this, and if more cities and States begin to do this to the Canadian Geese, there could be some serious problems.

I understand the concerns this pose to aircraft in certain areas, but this seems a little too excessive of a reaction if you ask me.... I mean hell, you got people using them as target practice with crossbows.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The herds(sic) should be culled up here, too. I can't go to any park with water without stepping in goose s h i t.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Too bad they hadn't considered a way that didn't poison the meat.

Now ... about pigeons and their brick-digesting poop. Who really wants to walk under an arch to be shat upon by some bird that chants "look at the goof ... look at the goof" over and over and over again.

Pigeon tastes like chicken....

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
birds and animals are 'culled' in many different places, all the time.

eg. our golf course. they cull the male deer every so often, no one talks about it, but it is done,
they are there, then they are not there. it is done to keep the population down, I hate the idea, but
the meat goes to the poor, soup kitchens I guess.

a couple of years ago, the charity who received the venison called the golf course authorities to thank
them for the 3 deer they had received, much to the surprise of the manager, as he had donated 5 deer,
hmmmm, someone drove that meat to their destination, seems there were 'two' destinations. red faces no doubt.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
As a kid growing up in Massachusetts seeing a flock of geese was amazing. Now they are everywhere. They just aren't migrating south and are sticking around in any green space they can find.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There is no need for food banks when all you need is a 9 iron and a puddle.

Nuisance Canada geese help feed hungry people in Oregon

Food banks plumper after Drake Park cleanup

By TOBI COHEN, Canwest News Service July 4, 2010

Canada geese are being served up at food banks in Oregon state, where more than 100 of the iconic birds were gassed last week in retaliation for pooping up a city park.
According to local media reports, 109 Canada geese were taken from Drake Park in Bend, Ore., and asphyxiated with carbon dioxide.
Jan Taylor, a spokeswoman with the Bend Park and Recreation District, told Oregon Public Broadcasting that Canada geese have been a problem in the popular tourist region since she moved there 20 years ago.
"You want to put a blanket down in the park and you wind up walking in a lot of feces," she said.
"It's uncomfortable. People don't like it."
City officials attempted to control the burgeoning goose population through less drastic means for years before resorting to a cull that drew mixed reaction from local residents, according to Sharon Miller, executive director of NeighborImpact, a non-profit agency that will help distribute the meat to homeless shelters and needy families.
The city had tried other methods: trapping them in nets and relocating them; getting dogs and children to chase them away; discouraging people from feeding them. Nothing worked.
"They just seem to come back and bring their friends with them," Miller said.
While the idea of a cull had been bandied about for years, Miller said this was the first time Bend officials followed through with the plan, which was hatched last fall.
Noting Bend was hit hard by the economic downturn -one-third more residents are using NeighborImpact services, while the number of people collecting food stamps has nearly doubled. Miller said the meat is certainly welcome.
According to Environment Canada, migratory birds like Canada geese may be hunted, consumed and given away as a gift for human consumption as long as people have the proper permits.
The meat, however, may be subject to health inspections and other provincial laws.
While various online blogs and comment boards suggest there are people opposed to the cull, Peter Ewins of WWF-Canada wasn't particularly taken aback by the news.
He said it's an issue that comes up every year in both the United States and Canada, which also turns to culls as a means of controlling what is clearly not an endangered species.
More common forms of goose control, he said, include using dogs or wires to keep birds out of particular areas, or smearing eggs in vegetable oil as a means of keeping them from hatching.
Although carbon dioxide asphyxiation isn't a common way to kill birds, Ewins said the U.S. has stringent animal-care regulations and he's confident the technique is humane.
That said, he doesn't believe culls are an effective long-term solution to geese plaguing public spaces.
"Any form of local, short-term control methods like this are just a Band-Aid solution," he said, noting culls are often conducted in response to public pressure to give a sense something is being done.
"You might take 100 animals out today from your park area but next spring, and the one after that, there will be more coming back in because there's plenty of nice nitrogen on the grass there that they want."
Although Ewins doesn't believe Canada geese are particularly tasty, he supports the idea of putting culled meat to good use.
It's something that different Canadian jurisdictions have done in the past. White tail deer, for example, have been culled and turned over to aboriginal communities, he said.
© Copyright (c) The Montreal Gazette

Read more: Nuisance Canada geese help feed hungry people in Oregon

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
As a kid growing up in Massachusetts seeing a flock of geese was amazing. Now they are everywhere. They just aren't migrating south and are sticking around in any green space they can find.

Geese are opportunists. Ducks too. If someone will feed them, they'll stick around. Funny.... I've never seen one of the buggers freeze....

...without some help. ;-)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
The herds(sic) should be culled up here, too. I can't go to any park with water without stepping in goose s h i t.

Next time I'm down round the St. Lawrence, might just "euthanize" a goose or two for the freezer.

Honest to Christ, Walter; they'd hang ya if they caught ya. This in spite of the fact, they are widely considered to be vermin in a lot of places.

Go figure8O

Reactions: gerryh

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Next time I'm down round the St. Lawrence, might just "euthanize" a goose or two for the freezer.

Honest to Christ, Walter; they'd hang ya if they caught ya. This in spite of the fact, they are widely considered to be vermin in a lot of places.

Go figure8O

Couldn't agree with you more.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I would much rather they do this to the wonderful swarm...I mean flock....of crows that visit here in the Winter. 400 geese? That is nothing! Try having over 100 000 crows taking craps everywhere! And that number is not an exaggeration(it actually could be higher!).8O

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Well my only issue is towards how they did it.... I don't have a problem wiping out some from various flocks here and there for obvious reasons, like leave 20-30 or something (out of 400)

But the way they described the situation, they wiped out the entire population.... and sure they're oodles of these things all over the place right now.... but taking out the entire population of a "community" if you will seems a tad excessive.

To me it's like having a problem with deer in Nova Scotia..... they're plenty of deer all over the country, so it's fine to wipe out every single one we see in the province because they're piles of them elsewhere.

I mean, if they killed off all these geese, but then next week they start seeing more geese from another flock show up, are they going to simply wipe them all out as well until they don't see a single one show up ever again?

This could be any animal in question, even crows and pigeons......they don't know which areas are "Off Limits" and if you wipe out every single one of them and leave no survivors.... who's going to tell the others not to go there? :p

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Euthanize (or at least fine them heavily) the idiots that feed geese, ducks, etc. because that is the reason they don't migrate.
Humans cause the problem and it's the geese that pay for it. It's almost always the other species that pays.

Reactions: Downhome_Woman

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I would much rather they do this to the wonderful swarm...I mean flock....of crows that visit here in the Winter. 400 geese? That is nothing! Try having over 100 000 crows taking craps everywhere! And that number is not an exaggeration(it actually could be higher!).8O
Where is that??

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Euthanize (or at least fine them heavily) the idiots that feed geese, ducks, etc. because that is the reason they don't migrate.
Humans cause the problem and it's the geese that pay for it. It's almost always the other species that pays.

Put signs to that effect around the park...

"Feeding the geese means they don't migrate, and they reach problematic numbers, this means we have to eradicate them. it is NOT doing them a favour."

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Prospect Park, Brooklyn: my home away from home.

As in NY, here in Gopherland Canadian Geese are known as pesky critters who are overly generous with the amount of fertilizer they drop and don't bother to pick up. But why euthanize them when they can so readily fill up a dinner table? Declare open season and hunters will solve the problem so much more pragmatically than by just croaking them.

Jeezo!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
If you read the article gopher, they do use them for food, without the pesky nuisance of stray bullets flying around public parks. lol.