Six Indian factory workers drown in giant vat of tomato sauce

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Six Indian factory workers drown in giant vat of tomato sauce | News.com.au

SIX workers drowned after falling into a giant vat of tomato sauce at a factory in India, the Indian Express reported.

The horrifying incident unfolded Wednesday evening when a female worker slipped and fell into the 6m deep tank.

As five colleagues dived in to grab her they were all overcome by fumes given off from fermenting vegetables and drowned, the newspaper said.

Two more workers were in a hospital following the tragic incident at the Akansha Food Products unit in Lucknow, in the Uttar Pradesh region of northeastern India.

Investigators say the woman, named as Usha, was scooping up fermented vegetables from the vat when she slipped off her ladder and plunged into the raw material used to make the sauce.

“When the woman fell in, the other workers jumped in to help her,” said Rajiv Krishna, Lucknow's Senior Superintendent of Police.

The factory owner was taken into custody, the Indian Express said.
Jeez, just like lemmings.... you'd think they'd have a pole or something nearby.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So sad. It reminds me of the root cellar incident that happened a few years ago, where a child went down to the root cellar and collapsed, so her brother went after her. Once he'd collapsed, dad ran after him, and all three ended up dead from H2S poisoning.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why? There's nothing wrong with a little saucy humour...:|
Good one....

It's seems funny as an outsider but if you are losing a friend or workmate panic and compassion sets in and logic vanishes.

Safety is one of the reason industry sets up in India. There isn't any.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Good one....

It's seems funny as an outsider but if you are losing a friend or workmate panic and compassion sets in and logic vanishes.
Oh I don't question why they all died. I know how people think in those situations.

To true.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Why? There's nothing wrong with a little saucy humour...:|

:lol: Wakka wakka.

Good one....

Yeah but you'd think they'd know by working there that there's fumes that are dangerous and one would have told them on training day not to jump into the vats.

I suggested a pole for the same reason they're used when someone breaks through ice..... to help them while not killing yourself in the process.

No good comes from trying to act like a hero if you don't bother to think first.... while it may be noble and all.... all you usually end up doing is creating more victims and more bodies for the police to scoop out afterwards.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sometimes we react faster than we think. A couple of years ago two guys on a farm close by were killed and one hospitalised when the outlet pipe on a empty liquefied manure spreader bunged up. One guy went on and didn't come out. The second went in because it seemed to be taking a long time. The survivor looked in - and called 911 before he went in to rescue them.

All three were firefighters.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Sometimes we react faster than we think. A couple of years ago two guys on a farm close by were killed and one hospitalised when the outlet pipe on a empty liquefied manure spreader bunged up. One guy went on and didn't come out. The second went in because it seemed to be taking a long time. The survivor looked in - and called 911 before he went in to rescue them.

All three were firefighters.

Natural Selection.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hindsight is 20/20. These people tried at least. Here in Edmonton recently, taking that kind of stupid risk meant two young men pulled a mom and her baby to safety out of a collapsing house before fire got to them. It could so easily have gone the other way, yes, but.... until it's all said and done, you never know how you'd react in a similar situation. I know my dad's family terribly miss both his sister, and the man who died trying to rescue her, but I doubt if I'd been in his place that I'd have not tried.

Natural Selection.

Yes, it is... human beings fight for their tribe. Human beings react, and try to help. Sometimes it's detrimental, but without that risk taking, we never would have made it to where we are. I know you think you're 'above' the masses prax, but, natural selection drives much of our instinctual action.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Hindsight is 20/20. These people tried at least. Here in Edmonton recently, taking that kind of stupid risk meant two young men pulled a mom and her baby to safety out of a collapsing house before fire got to them. It could so easily have gone the other way, yes, but.... until it's all said and done, you never know how you'd react in a similar situation. I know my dad's family terribly miss both his sister, and the man who died trying to rescue her, but I doubt if I'd been in his place that I'd have not tried.

When I was 9 and the only one in my house when it was burning down around me, my neighbor's father and my brother/sister knocked on windows to locate where I was and all that good stuff but were smart enough not to enter the house and add more possible victims.... I eventually found my way out and escaped when about 2 minutes later the fire dept showed up, and granted every other situation out there is completely different, I would never ask nor want anybody to enter a burning building to save my skin.

But to each their own.

My brother's best friend when they were about the same age a few years earlier went out to save a kid who got pulled out by the tides while swimming and they both drowned..... when it comes to situations like the above, everybody makes their decisions on what's right to do..... in the end, we pay the price for such decisions..... maybe it's a good price, maybe it's a bad price.... and if I didn't get out on my own when I did.... then it too would have been my own natural selection.

Yes, it is... human beings fight for their tribe. Human beings react, and try to help. Sometimes it's detrimental, but without that risk taking, we never would have made it to where we are. I know you think you're 'above' the masses prax, but, natural selection drives much of our instinctual action.
Life is full of risk..... my entire point is to at least take one or two seconds to think about what you're about to do before you actually do it to determine the risks and if they're worth it..... those one or two seconds might be critical in determining if someone lives or dies, but that's all pretty irrelevant if they die anyways and you die along with them.

Sure you may look like a hero, but both of you are still dead aren't you?

I suppose it's the thought that counts.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Praxius;1301608..... my entire point is to at least take one or two seconds to think about what you're about to do..[/QUOTE said:
Well, your entire point with your natural selection comment came across as to imply they deserved to die and we're better off without them. That's a pretty huge difference from what you're saying you're trying to say about people who risk and lose their lives for others.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Just don't eat ketchup for the next lil while. It'll all work out.

Six less to work at the Bell answering service..

Six fewer parents and spouses too possibly.

And as for working at the Bell answering service, whoever's more qualified for the job at the right price should get it. Don't you just love it when nationalists come along usurping the free market based on ethnic politics:roll:

So sad. It reminds me of the root cellar incident that happened a few years ago, where a child went down to the root cellar and collapsed, so her brother went after her. Once he'd collapsed, dad ran after him, and all three ended up dead from H2S poisoning.

Were they Eat Indian? If so, then Nuggler must have had a party to celebrate 3 fewer possible future Bell workers.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
All of the despicable racist ghouls who find this story funny and crack immature puns about it should have their best loved relatives perish in an industrial accident.