Please be precise when choosing a thread title

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hello!

As you may have realized, the news forum has a bunch of interesting threads on the latest news. The threads you find here are hopefully an alternative way to get informed on current events, stuff you won't necessarily find on some Canadian news web sites such as CTV, CBC and Canada.com.

We try to keep the place looking clean and relevant and we ask that you help us out by naming your threads as descriptive as possible. Here's an example of what might be good and what might make a bad thread title:

Good:

• Businesses divided on the arrival of the HST
  • 39 year old arrested after car chase
  • PM draws on monarchists in hunt for next Gov. Gen.

Bad:

• Damn HST
  • Some guy arrested
  • The next GG

The problem with non-descriptive titles is that a) threads seem to go off-topic quicker than normal and b) It makes reading the forums annoying when you're skipping from thread to thread looking for something you're actually interested in.

Thanks a lot for your co-operation.

ps. we do have some new goodies coming up which might make using the forums quicker, easier and more interactive.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I always try to use succinct, descriptive titles. But I also like to make the title a bit provocative, to attract attention to the thread.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I guess a news thread about "useless dipshjit spammers" would be...bad? How about "Web users push for a free and open net, sans spammers"

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
For one thing initials are used. When using initials the full words should be written out once and I would suggest title is the place to do that.

PM draws on monarchists in hunt for next Gov. Gen.

This is in the good title Gov. Gen. isn't full words is it?

Damn HST
The next GG

Everybody knows what HST is and what GG stands for and you find these initials in news titles.

Gardening in BC taxed 7% more under HST
Anti-HST leader launches recall campaign
First Nations leaders want aboriginal GG
On the GG speculation: no contest