Winnie the Pooh plaque stolen in Ontario

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
WHITE RIVER, Ont. - The plaque commemorating the northern Ontario community of White River as the home of Winnie the Pooh is missing.
Ontario provincial police say the bronze plaque was forcibly removed from its wooden stand a week ago.
The plaque contains the history of Winnie the Pooh and the bear's relationship to White River.
Winnie was a black bear cub orphaned when a hunter killed her mother and taken to White River by a trapper who found her in 1914.
Lt. Harry Colebourn bought the bear for $20 and named her Winnipeg, later to become shortened to Winnie, after his hometown.
Colebourn took the bear to England with him, but when he was shipped to France he left the bear in the care of the London Zoo.
It was at the zoo where author A.A. Milne and his son Christopher Robin Milne saw Winnie.
The Milnes became frequent visitors and it was Christopher who added …

Read full story>

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Winnie the Poop was a Taoist master. Read the Tao of Poo and see for yourself. Great book full of wisdom and humour. More enlightening than the plaque.
Did I say that? Quick George, hide the damn plaque!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I just found it disappointing that people always have to destroy something. It's not like we have a ton of history going for us in the first place.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I just found it disappointing that people always have to destroy something. It's not like we have a ton of history going for us in the first place.
We do have a ton of history, it is just that we only get fed what little rosy stories we have and the dirt gets left out, which makes up the majority. Trouble is it is only his story. The vanquished never get their say. Too bad because pre-Columbian history would have been a lot more interesting than the one we got.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I just found it disappointing that people always have to destroy something.
I couldn't agree more VI. It is one of the few things that actually get me angry. We come across it constantly in our outdoor activities. From beaver dams that aren't destructive, being pried apart by kids, to historical landmarks and places being defaced by adult and child alike. It shows a serious lack of respect and maturity. The fines that oft follow conviction, are far to lenient, and should be raised to be actually punitive and substantial. As well as embarrassing and should also come with a court ordered education of the history of the landmark or place defaced, then several hours of community service, in going to schools and other places of education, bringing an awareness to that locals history and significance. As well as making a public statement at each lecture, as to how you defaced and why that is horribly wrong.

It's not like we have a ton of history going for us in the first place.
Ooohhhhhh, VI, that isn't true, we have a rich and full history. Canada is one of the luckiest nations in the world. In that we were found and then founded after the advent of recorded history. There is a plethora of history in this fine nation. Enough to build two or more nations over.

From the Natives who lived here long before the Europeans arrived to yesterday. The in between, is a roller coaster of rich historical facts, that could be the stuff of legends, if it already wasn't.

We do have a ton of history, it is just that we only get fed what little rosy stories we have and the dirt gets left out, which makes up the majority.
Bullsh!t.

Trouble is it is only his story. The vanquished never get their say. Too bad because pre-Columbian history would have been a lot more interesting than the one we got.
This is, as myself and several other people who I have met over the years, is the reason for the very real and very unpatriotic anti Americanism that permeates Canada. This lack of knowledge of the rich and vibrant history this country has, is its very cause. It's symptoms include self loathing, anti Americanism and a willingness to abandon reason and believe anything, so long as it's negative.

Further to that, the lack of knowledge and understanding of history, leads to the silly conspiracies we see permeate the net these days. If one were to get a better grasp of recorded history, they wouldn't be so fooled, and apt to swallow the tripe foisted as fact. Produced by loons and provided by charlatans.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Sadly that goes on a lot here as well. Bronze plaques are stolen everywhere in the US and are being sold to scrap yards.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This is, as myself and several other people who I have met over the years, is the reason for the very real and very unpatriotic anti Americanism that permeates Canada. This lack of knowledge of the rich and vibrant history this country has, is its very cause. It's symptoms include self loathing, anti Americanism and a willingness to abandon reason and believe anything, so long as it's negative.

Further to that, the lack of knowledge and understanding of history, leads to the silly conspiracies we see permeate the net these days. If one were to get a better grasp of recorded history, they wouldn't be so fooled, and apt to swallow the tripe foisted as fact. Produced by loons and provided by charlatans.
It is interesting that so many jump to the conclusion that just because someone sees the actions of the American government for what they are, they are suddenly judged as being anti-Americans. People are people but governments are something completely different. The same goes for all those screaming "Anti-Jooos!" It is not about discrimination of a group of people, it is dicernment about the actions of their government. Screaming "Anti-Joo" or "anti-American" every time someone tries to have an opinion about American or Israeli foreign policy is just clouding the issues with straw men rhetoric. It is completely immature and self serving.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

To quote yourself..."Bullsh!t. "..... but I know it makes your life, and those that support you and think as you do, so much easier when you can just dismiss the attitude as one of self loathing and ignorance.:roll:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Unfortunate, but it is hard to know how to deal with the truly stupid.

And as other posters have pointed out Canada does have a very interesting history, even if the written part of it goes back only 500 years. Part of the problem is getting people interested in it. When I taught in Australia I discovered an interesting phenomenon. Aussie kids were very interested in Canadian history, preferring it to their own which they found very boring. They used every opportunity to get me talking on the subject.

I don't want to insult Aussie history. I found it fascinating to the read of the European discovery and settlement of the continent even if there was only 200 years of it. Sadly, as in Canada there isn't much of native history left, that being wiped out in the European invasion.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Unfortunate, but it is hard to know how to deal with the truly stupid.
I don't know about that, I kind of liked my idea, lol.

And as other posters have pointed out Canada does have a very interesting history, even if the written part of it goes back only 500 years.
But we have packed a great deal of energy into that 500 years.

Part of the problem is getting people interested in it.
Yes and no. First there has to be a program that actually focuses on it. Or school system is lacking an in depth and charged curriculum, pertaining to Canadian history.

Sadly, as in Canada there isn't much of native history left, that being wiped out in the European invasion.
This is simply untrue. If you want to learn about Native history, it's out there. It just isn't part of the curriculum, in any great or meaningful manner, outside communities with a large Native population.

It is interesting that so many jump to the conclusion that just because someone sees the actions of the American government for what they are, they are suddenly judged as being anti-Americans. People are people but governments are something completely different. The same goes for all those screaming "Anti-Jooos!" It is not about discrimination of a group of people, it is dicernment about the actions of their government. Screaming "Anti-Joo" or "anti-American" every time someone tries to have an opinion about American or Israeli foreign policy is just clouding the issues with straw men rhetoric. It is completely immature and self serving.

To quote yourself..."Bullsh!t. "..... but I know it makes your life, and those that support you and think as you do, so much easier when you can just dismiss the attitude as one of self loathing and ignorance.:roll:

I have moved this discussion to another thread, as to not take VI's thread off topic.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/members-lounge/93430-reality-history-rhetoric.html#post1290662

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Winnie the Pooh's home isn't in Ontario. It in Ashdown Forest in East Sussex, a large area of tranquil open heathland on the highest sandy ridges of the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.