Justice in Michael Bryant case

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The dramatic death that transfixed Toronto last fall — pitting a bicycle courier against a former cabinet minister — has reached an unexpected denouement. The surprise yesterday was not so much that charges were dropped against former attorney-general Michael Bryant as in the factual findings of the special prosecutor.
The victim turned out to be the aggressor in this fatal encounter, the Crown concluded. Bicycle courier Darcy Allan Sheppard had been caught up in an escalating cycle of confrontations against motorists in previous months, according to Richard Peck, who was brought in from Vancouver to prosecute the case. In one episode, Sheppard smashed a car window; in another, he tried to snatch the car keys. In this case, evidence showed he attacked Bryant, who was driving home with his wife in an open convertible, giving him every legal justification to take evasive action.
Sheppard does not deserve to be demonized; his death was a tragedy. But in leaving no stone unturned, the legal system worked as it should. The Attorney General’s department rightly hired a special prosecutor from out of province to avoid any appearance of preferential treatment for a former Ontario attorney-general.
Justice in Michael Bryant case - thestar.com

Yep, just like I said would happen. Well, actually I thought they would at least go to trial, as to make it look like they were serious.
As a fellow political commentator pointed out elsewhere, the wackos will be out soon to point out how he was given a free pass, because of privilege.

I feel vindicated for having defended him so vehemently. Hey!!! Isn't he a Liberal?
Good thing me and the courts don't filter reality through an ideology.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
CDNBear be honest if the same thing happened to you or any ordinary person they would be doing time in jail.

Because of his former position as Attorney General he still has friends in high places

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
CDNBear be honest if the same thing happened to you or any ordinary person they would be doing time in jail.
I don't think so at all, honestly. I watched the video's of the event and have maintained that the Crown would have a hard time convicting period.

Because of his former position as Attorney General he still had friends in high places
In B.C.?

eta; I rest my case, lol.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I don't think so at all, honestly. I watched the video's of the event and have maintained that the Crown would have a hard time convicting period.

In B.C.?

eta; I rest my case, lol.

Attorney General is the same no matter what province one still develops professional relationships.

and again if this happened to an ordinary person they would be in jail.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maybe if we look at this thing with all the facts, or most of the facts since I don't profess to know all the facts:

Darcy Allan Sheppard, a bicycle courier was first under the eye of the law that night when police were called to a domestic dispute. Sheppard's girlfriend asked the police to drive him home because he was too drunk but the police refused saying he was okay to drive himself home. He was later found to have a blood alcohol rating of 1.81.
Sheppard next appeared harassing motorists on the street. Among the people being harassed by sheppard was Michael Bryant and his wife in an open convertible. In front of numerous witnesses Sheppard jumped on Bryant's car and grabbed hold of the steering wheel. Sheppard had already done this trick with several other motorists. While Sheppard was attatching himself to Michael Bryant's car, he was in collision with a fire hydrant whitch knocked him off the car where he struck his head on the pavement or the curb and received fatal injuries.

My only complaint was that the case should have gone to trial. I have no doubt Sheppard brought about his own death. Maybe none of this would have happened if the police had driven him home as the girlfriend had asked.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Maybe if we look at this thing with all the facts, or most of the facts since I don't profess to know all the facts:

Darcy Allan Sheppard, a bicycle courier was first under the eye of the law that night when police were called to a domestic dispute. Sheppard's girlfriend asked the police to drive him home because he was too drunk but the police refused saying he was okay to drive himself home. He was later found to have a blood alcohol rating of 1.81.
Sheppard next appeared harassing motorists on the street. Among the people being harassed by sheppard was Michael Bryant and his wife in an open convertible. In front of numerous witnesses Sheppard jumped on Bryant's car and grabbed hold of the steering wheel. Sheppard had already done this trick with several other motorists. While Sheppard was attatching himself to Michael Bryant's car, he was in collision with a fire hydrant whitch knocked him off the car where he struck his head on the pavement or the curb and received fatal injuries.

My only complaint was that the case should have gone to trial. I have no doubt Sheppard brought about his own death. Maybe none of this would have happened if the police had driven him home as the girlfriend had asked.

All this could have been avoided if Bryant didn't put his foot on the gas and steered into a fixed metal object but he did and got away with murder but he said he will remember this for a long time outside of jail good for him

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
All this could have been avoided if Bryant didn't put his foot on the gas and steered into a fixed metal object but he did and got away with murder but he said he will remember this for a long time outside of jail good for him

Liberalman, how on Earth was this murder. Bryant would have been justified if he had bashed Sheppard over the head with a hammer. Since he didn't have a hammer he could have floored the gas pedal and then hit the brakes to get the moron off the car. The car was moving very slowly and Sheppard was steering when the fire hydrant made contact with Sheppard. Bryant was just trying to get away from the psychopath. He was protecting his wife.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Liberalman, how on Earth was this murder. Bryant would have been justified if he had bashed Sheppard over the head with a hammer. Since he didn't have a hammer he could have floored the gas pedal and then hit the brakes to get the moron off the car. The car was moving very slowly and Sheppard was steering when the fire hydrant made contact with Sheppard. Bryant was just trying to get away from the psychopath. He was protecting his wife.

God knows I can't stand Liberals in general, and McGuinty's Morons in particular.......but Juan is dead on. Bryant would have been justified shooting Sheppard in the face....It is not, and never should be, against the law to try and run from a confrontation.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Good article from a respected journalist.

For Michael Bryant, an extraordinary kind of justice - The Globe and Mail

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Maybe none of this would have happened if the police had driven him home as the girlfriend had asked.
Maybe the police aren't a taxi service.

You haven't watched the video, or you're being purposely obtuse.

Right on juan.

Murderer!!!!
Moron.

From your article...

This is practically unheard of.

Is how Blatchford describes the handing over of the full file from Bryant's lawyer to the Special Crown. I would otherwise agree, but then I've seen the video's.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
You haven't watched the video, or you're being purposely obtuse.

purposely obtuse?

CDNBear what do you think you saw on the video.

The cyclist reached in the driver's side Bryant gunned it, the car went to the opposite side of the road and the cyclist was brushed off the car and died is that what you saw or did you see something more CDNBear

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
purposely obtuse?
Or moronis, take your pick.

CDNBear what do you think you saw on the video.
I don't think I saw anything. I know what I saw. I know what I read from witnesses.

The cyclist reached in the driver's side Bryant gunned it, the car went to the opposite side of the road and the cyclist was brushed off the car and died is that what you saw or did you see something more CDNBear
And then some. I called his acquittal as soon as I saw the video. I'm no legal expert, but I've been in and out of court on criminal charges enough to know a little bit.

I really don't care if you don't understand how the law works. That's your problem, not mine.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
#juan

He was protecting his wife, she was on the other side of the car.

Bryant was traveling slow or was the video in slow motion.

If the car was traveling slow the guy would have had a broken bone but he died which proves that the car was going faster.

Bryant is sorry and he will remember this for a long time outside of jail and I hope he does while walking on some exotic beach sipping on a pina colada somewhere in the world where people of privilege go.

CDNBear
And then some. I called his acquittal as soon as I saw the video. I'm no legal expert, but I've been in and out of court on criminal charges enough to know a little bit.

I really don't care if you don't understand how the law works. That's your problem, not mine

CDNBear if the same thing would have happened to you, you would be in jail but you of all people should know The Man hardly ever suffers

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
He was protecting his wife, she was on the other side of the car.
Here's a challenge, call your local Police station. Ask the Duty Sgt. how the Police view the driver of a vehicle, wearing a seat belt, being attacked.

Let me save you the trouble...the driver is considered confined and restrained, and may take extraordinary measures to ensure his/her safety as well as that of his/her passengers. But if you doubt that, go ahead a call.

If the car was traveling slow the guy would have had a broken bone but he died which proves that the car was going faster.
Of course he was accelerating. He did nothing I wouldn't have done, if I found myself restrained, confined and under attack, in my car.
Bryant is sorry and he will remember this for a long time outside of jail and I hope he does while walking on some exotic beach sipping on a pina colada somewhere in the world where people of privilege go.
Or if I were in his shoes, fishing some Ontario lake or stream, where citizens under the law go when they aren't guilty of any wrong doing.

CDNBear if the same thing would have happened to you, you would be in jail but you of all people should know The Man hardly ever suffers
Again, got any case law?

Unless you can cite some case law, you're talking out your ass again Libby.

Last edited: