Young Offenders - Violence - Repeats

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
What does Society do with Young Offenders that have committed multiple violent offenses

This is not the 1st time that this has happened with YO's - and it will not be the last.

He was in 25 Foster Homes

Persons killed cannot be identified when under 18 so as to prevent the offender from being recognized - This people just disappear - Sad reflection on Society

Should Young Offenders - Repeats for violence be identified - they have shown they are a threat - So why protect their identity.

We will only see more of this as we as a Society forget the poor, and those at that lower end of the economic ladder - But all the Govt Services in the world cannot stop a person if they decide to not adhere to Societies rules.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Edmonton+teen+charged+with+murder/3061818/story.html

Edmonton police charged a teen with the murder of 25-year-old man found dead early Monday on a set of wooden stairs near McDougall Hill.

Police said in a news release Saturday that officers arrested a 15-year old boy. He faces charges of second-degree murder and two weapons offences. The teen is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday.

A city worker discovered the man's body at about 2 a.m. Monday on a set of wooden stairs that lead from the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald into the river valley. The medical examiner determined the victim died from a single stab wound.

The victim cannot be identified because he was a foster child and was convicted of manslaughter as a young offender.
The man had moved between at least 25 foster homes as a child. At 16, he beat a 37-year-old man to death with a baseball bat.

The two knew each other and were drinking together before the killing.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
just string em up.....right Goob? One in the head? or are they not worth the bullet?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
just string em up.....right Goob? One in the head? or are they not worth the bullet?

Better to string them up than to let them loose on society so they can kill again. It's not like our joke of a justice system can be depended on to keep them under control and us safe.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
maybe our joke of a society needs to get our priority's straight...25 foster homes? Is it any wonder?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Trolling again eh i see
- Did i say that - read the post Moron - It never enters your head that some gang bangers do not give a shxt about cutting your throat - Some have been on record as commiting thrill killings so as to gain fear over others in the gang or make a name on the streets - Not all - a small minority - But that do not pierce your thick headed skull.
But it probably has not happened to anyone you know.

Their is a diference - A firends son was killed just for the same reasons - if you can call the above reasons.

maybe our joke of a society needs to get our priority's straight...25 foster homes? Is it any wonder?
It only states 25 - Not one word as to why he went thru so many - now are you condemming all Foster Parents -

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Trolling again eh i see
- Did i say that - read the post Moron - It never enters your head that some gang bangers do not give a shxt about cutting your throat - Some have been on record as commiting thrill killings so as to gain fear over others in the gang or make a name on the streets - Not all - a small minority - But that do not pierce your thick headed skull.
But it probably has not happened to anyone you know.

Their is a diference - A firends son was killed just for the same reasons - if you can call the above reasons.

It only states 25 - Not one word as to why he went thru so many - now are you condemming all Foster Parents -

I stand by what I said...... too often the "problem" children are shuffled aside and then people(like you) blame it all on the kid for joining a gang and or crime rather than looking at the reasons WHY this happened.

think about it dummy.....how loved would that child feel after that many different foster homes? Would he or she feel like they "belonged? were "wanted", were "cared about"?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My most recent favorite is the kid in P.A. that attacks a Cabbie with a Machete.
The kid has a long record (it sounds like as he's already on probation when this
happens about 2am on a Friday night, from what I recall).

Cabbie gets over a 100 stitches. Kid gets released on $100 bail & a promise
to actually follow his probation orders this time, & a promise not to play with
edged weapons.

P.S. The "Place Nice" was adressed to all involved. ;-)

Here's a Link: http://www.newstalk980.com/story/20100521/34150

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
My most recent favorite is the kid in P.A. that attacks a Cabbie with a Machete.
The kid has a long record (it sounds like as he's already on probation when this
happens about 2am on a Friday night, from what I recall).

Cabbie gets over a 100 stitches. Kid gets released on $100 bail & a promise
to actually follow his probation orders this time, & a promise not to play with
edged weapons.

P.S. The "Place Nice" was adressed to all involved. ;-)

Here's a Link: No Plea From Accused Machete Attacker | News Talk 980 CJME

The question needed to be answered is "why", and the answer does not involve throwing the kid into the can and swallowing the key.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The question needed to be answered is "why", and the answer does not involve throwing the kid into the can and swallowing the key.

It's anyones guess, but mine would be Gang Initiation, as this isn't the first attack
with a Machette in P.A. (or Regina, or Saskatoon) recently.

Still though, the Cabbie lost several teeth (Machette to the face) and got well
over 100 stitches. $100 bail seems a bit weak....and this is just a refundable
bail assuming the Kid shows up in court next when he's suppose to. It just
doesn't seem right to me. Public Safety and such factoring in (it seems not).

Max Sentance would be 7 years (1/2 in & 1/2 in the community), but that
happens rarely even for murder (Youth sentence).

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It's anyones guess, but mine would be Gang Initiation, as this isn't the first attack
with a Machette in P.A. (or Regina, or Saskatoon) recently.

Still though, the Cabbie lost several teeth (Machette to the face) and got well
over 100 stitches. $100 bail seems a bit weak....and this is just a refundable
bail assuming the Kid shows up in court next when he's suppose to. It just
doesn't seem right to me. Public Safety and such factoring in (it seems not).

Max Sentance would be 7 years (1/2 in & 1/2 in the community), but that
happens rarely even for murder (Youth sentence).

:roll: and there's the problem.... not being able to see the tree's for the forest.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Sir, can you expand on that so I know which way you're going with that statement?

The question is why......why he ended up where he is........ not JUST why he did this one thing.....look at the BIG picture. Find ALL the why's and wherefores. Figure out a way to STOP this from happeniong for some other child even if this one can't be saved or "salvaged". If you don't, then all you are doing is condemning someone else to perpetuate the circle.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The question is why......why he ended up where he is........ not JUST why he did this one thing.....look at the BIG picture. Find ALL the why's and wherefores. Figure out a way to STOP this from happeniong for some other child even if this one can't be saved or "salvaged". If you don't, then all you are doing is condemning someone else to perpetuate the circle.

Awwww....give em' all a hug gerry. :lol:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The key component in this discussion relates to the issue of personal responsibility. The young offenders act was designed to shelter youth from the long-term consequences of mistakes.

Premeditated assault with a deadly weapon no longer qualifies as a "mistake". Factor-in the reality that some of these little darlings are multiple offenders and that substantiates the reality that these youth are using the young offenders act to get away with murder (literally).

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Ah.....I got'cha now. Just wasn't sure where you where going. I doubt the kid will
be inside long enough to have incarceration interfere with his obtaining a Drivers
License at 16yrs of age (he's 14 now) if he wants a Drivers License. That's the
system that we have at this point. The focus is on the rehabilitation of the offender
and not the protection of society. That's assuming any jail time at all....

The Cabbie (who'd been on the job for about a week) has a much longer sentence
(I'm assuming) with his injuries, and I doubt that he's going to remain a Cabbie so
there's the loss of employment & income thing...and I doubt it'll have done anything
positive for him mentally (fears, phobias, etc...) that he'll get over anytime soon, &
a Machete to the face wouldn't help much on the dating scene. Oh well...spilt milk.

I don't even pretend to have the answers here, but a $100 bail? Wow...that just
doesn't smell right. If the Kid was already on probation with a curfew, and was out
at 2am on a school night with a Machete at the age of fourteen, and attacked the
cabbie with no attempt to rob him....do we start with multiple kicks to the crotch
for the parents (parent? Guardian? Etc...?) and keep repeating the process
until the answers present themselves?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Ah.....I got'cha now. Just wasn't sure where you where going. I doubt the kid will
be inside long enough to have incarceration interfere with his obtaining a Drivers
License at 16yrs of age (he's 14 now) if he wants a Drivers License. That's the
system that we have at this point. The focus is on the rehabilitation of the offender
and not the protection of society. That's assuming any jail time at all....

The Cabbie (who'd been on the job for about a week) has a much longer sentence
(I'm assuming) with his injuries, and I doubt that he's going to remain a Cabbie so
there's the loss of employment & income thing...and I doubt it'll have done anything
positive for him mentally (fears, phobias, etc...) that he'll get over anytime soon, &
a Machete to the face wouldn't help much on the dating scene. Oh well...spilt milk.

I don't even pretend to have the answers here, but a $100 bail? Wow...that just
doesn't smell right. If the Kid was already on probation with a curfew, and was out
at 2am on a school night with a Machete at the age of fourteen, and attacked the
cabbie with no attempt to rob him....do we start with multiple kicks to the crotch
for the parents (parent? Guardian? Etc...?) and keep repeating the process
until the answers present themselves?

like I said in my original post:

because if all you're looking for is retribution for this one act, then you may as well enact my suggestion because you are not getting at the root of the problem and you will never even come close to solving the over all problem of young offenders.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I stand by what I said...... too often the "problem" children are shuffled aside and then people(like you) blame it all on the kid for joining a gang and or crime rather than looking at the reasons WHY this happened.

think about it dummy.....how loved would that child feel after that many different foster homes? Would he or she feel like they "belonged? were "wanted", were "cared about"?

Think about it - perhaps this YO was unmanageable - yes he should have had help - but they also have the right to refuse help no don't they - you cannot force help down someones throat.

I use this case as a perfect example - 2 murders - he is dangerous and needs help -

2 - lots like him

3 - thrill killings do happen -

4 - You say i judged to quickly - seems to me you have more of a problem with that in yourself that I ever Will.