Horrific abuse of son sickens Victoria mother

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Graphical images of Dustin LaFortune's abuse is found on below link:
Horrific abuse of son sickens Victoria mother

A Victoria mother is trying to understand why her son was dumped at a Regina hospital last month — beaten, stabbed and burned — with injuries so horrific, she can describe it only as torture.

When Dustin LaFortune, a burly 26-year-old Winnipeg man, was left at the hospital by a man who falsely claimed to be his cousin on April 16, he had wasted away to 90 pounds.

He was put on life support in the ER and the doctors told his mother, Renee LaFortune, that he might not live.

“His tongue was cut off, his bottom lip was cut off, his face was smashed in. He had broken ribs, an assortment of burn marks and stabs,” she said, adding that when she went to see him, she could barely recognize the frail and broken person lying in the hospital bed. “It's something worse than a horror movie. You can’t look at him.”

Nurses told Renee LaFortune that some of the wounds were old and some so fresh that emergency-room physicians didn’t see them until the bruises emerged after he’d been dropped off. “They said this occurred over a long, long period of time.”

Worst of all, he showed evidence of possible brain damage, struggling to follow conversations and being unable to speak. The extent of his brain injuries, if any, are not yet known.

Renee LaFortune said it likely will be months before her once hard-working and reliable son is released from the hospital.

“Everything that he was is gone, he has to start over,” she said.

Living in Calgary while working for a moving company, LaFortune was last heard from in February.

Renee LaFortune said the alarm bells went off when phone calls and e-mails to LaFortune from friends and family members went unanswered. The phone numbers for the Calgary company he worked for were disconnected.

In 2008, LaFortune had moved from Winnipeg to Calgary to work for a moving company owned by an acquaintance, who is also from Winnipeg; the two reportedly became roommates. For a time, all seemed well on the outside, although LaFortune’s ex-girlfriend said she witnessed disturbing and controlling behaviour from the roommate.

“[Dustin] was telling me how he was only allowed to eat one meal a day [by the roommate],” said Lindsay Airhart, who visited the pair in Calgary.

By September 2009, LaFortune had already lost considerable weight when he was taken to a Calgary hospital with broken ribs. He said that a freezer had fallen onto him, but the family now doubts that story.

In late February of this year, Renee LaFortune filed a missing person’s report with the Calgary police.

About a week later, Airhart said, LaFortune called her father. “He sounded like death,” she added.

On April 14, LaFortune’s roommate texted Airhart to say that LaFortune was fine but couldn’t talk because he was on a farm in Leduc, Alta., without a phone.

The roommate mentioned the pair’s money problems and said he was “working on” getting LaFortune to call his family.

Just two days later, LaFortune was dumped at that Regina hospital, wasted and injured beyond recognition.

LaFortune was finally able to muster the strength to make a statement to police Friday morning, his mother said.

She said he told police that his former roommate had caused his injuries during assaults in Calgary and Saskatchewan.

On Friday evening, Regina police spokesperson Elizabeth Popowich confirmed that the police are investigating the case as an aggravated assault.

LaFortune’s mother said she won’t be satisfied until police arrest the person responsible.

“I didn’t even know someone was capable of doing that.”

Well.... his room mate certainly has a sick and twisted mentality about him to commit these violent acts on him...... and I also wonder why or how this man allowed himself to remain in such living conditions.

I mean someone breaking my ribs in a fight whom I call a room mate would have been the first and last action taken before I called the cops and moved the hell out of that situation..... and the limited eating? Cutting of his tongue? His bottom lip?

WTF kind of freak did he shack up with? :?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
His tongue and lip were NOT cut off... that's been disproven.

As for the rest... I don't even want to begin to speculate, because I realize that the majority of speculating I would or could do, would be engaging in blaming the victim.

lindyloo646

Nominee Member
Sep 10, 2008
Saskatchewan
Actually, I have it on pretty good authority that his lips and tongue WERE partially cut off. Sounds like there will be some plastic surgery and perhaps some (partial) facial transplants in the future for this young man.
No one deserves this.....

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Actually, I have it on pretty good authority that his lips and tongue WERE partially cut off. Sounds like there will be some plastic surgery and perhaps some (partial) facial transplants in the future for this young man.
No one deserves this.....

There's a big difference recovery wise, although not horror wise, between some pieces of tongue and lip being severed, and his whole lip and tongue being cut off... that's where the Globe and Mail corrected the news released.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Find the guy who did this and put him away for life?
or
Find the guy who did this and give him the execution sentence?

Now we're talking, Johnny. I would hope there would be undeniable evidence so the second is more appropriate than the first.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
im suprised people are talking about this here...

When i seen this on the news, i thought no one deserves this.... Id bury the person who did this 6ft in the ground, send him to his maker

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Whether it was all or partial sections of his lip and tongue were cut off is irrelevant.... a good portion of his bottom lip and his tongue (just look at the photos on the above link to see he's missing most of his bottom lip) was removed.

In further news last night, the man already suffered from some mental disability and his mother said he was a trusting person.... and even if he wasn't dealing with some mental disability, nobody deserves what was done to him for such an extended period of time.

The person who did this to him is sick, twisted and apparently suffers from his own mental problems to continually do these things to him for such a period of time. They should be found, brought to justice and if not found completely insane, dragged out into the street and shot.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
They should be found, brought to justice and if not found completely insane, dragged out into the street and shot.

REALLY!!!!!!!!! You have to be a Bible thumping, right wing, conservative. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: