Captured Somali pirates 'dead' - Russia


Praxius
#1
Captured Somali pirates 'dead' - Russia | News.com.au (external - login to view)

Quote:

A GROUP of Somali pirates captured by the Russian navy in the Gulf of Aden and then set free in a boat are most probably dead after failing to reach the shore, a Russian defence source said.

The 10 pirates were captured last week after seizing a Russian oil tanker but were then unexpectedly released, with Russian officials saying there was insufficient legal basis to keep them in detention.

"According to the latest information, the pirates who seized the Moscow University oil tanker failed to reach the shore. Evidently, they have all died," the high-ranking source was quoted as saying by all Russia's official news agencies.

The source said that radio signals from the boat stopped just one hour after it had been set free by the Russian navy.

No details were given over the manner in which they could have lost their lives.

Reports have said that after their release the Russian navy put the pirates in a boat 550km offshore, removing all weaponry and navigational equipment from the vessel.

"It would have been more humane to have hung them up from the yardarm," a rights activist, whose name was not given, told the Kommersant daily at the weekend.

Marines from the Russian destroyer Marshal Shaposhnikov freed the tanker from the pirate's grasp in a dawn operation last week hailed as exemplary by Russian defence experts and officials.

President Dmitry Medvedev said the raid was "sharp, professional and quick" and ordered medals for all those involved in the rescue.

The fate of the pirates had been a mystery.

Media had at the weekend published a picture taken by state media showing 10 pirates lying face down, hands tied behind their back on the red deck of the Russian ship.

A top naval official also told Kommersant that the Russian navy had originally planned to accompany the pirates to within 20km of the shore but the offer of escort was turned down.

But Somalia's ambassador to Moscow Mohammed Handule denied that the Russian navy had acted improperly in the affair.

"Not one Somali or the government of our country sees Russia as being guilty in this. The Russian military showed they can act effectively so that not one crew member of the captured tanker was hurt."

"This is the most important thing," he said according to the ITAR-TASS news agency.

Russian shipping expert Mikhail Voitenko said reports about the pirates being set free in a boat could just be covering the possibility they had all been killed in the raid to free the Moscow University.

"I think this is linked to the fact nobody released the pirates and they were killed in the operation," Voitenko, editor of the Maritime Bulletin, told Moscow Echo radio.

"Then someone had the not very intelligent idea 'Let's pretend that they were released in the middle of the ocean hundreds of miles from the shore without any navigational aids'."

After the tanker was recaptured, officials had also sent conflicting signals about the future of the pirates.

Russia's investigative committee of prosecutors had said steps were being taken to bring the pirates to Moscow to face charges but later backtracked, saying that this was not being discussed.

The episode is the latest high-seas intrigue involving Russia, after the disappearance last year of the Maltese-flagged Arctic Sea ship which some reports said was carrying an illicit Russian arms cargo for Iran.

Russia denied the charges and arrested eight "pirates" who it said had hijacked the vessel.

The moral of the story?

Don't Fk with Russia and hi-jack their stuff or they'll make you disappear.

My betting either they indeed released them in a boat as described, trailed them for about an hour and then shelled them to the bottom of the ocean..... or they wiped them all out during the raid.
 
TenPenny
#2
Somehow, I don't believe they met their fate (whatever it was) without the intervention of someone from the Motherland.
 
Praxius
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPennyView Post

Somehow, I don't believe they met their fate (whatever it was) without the intervention of someone from the Motherland.

Agreed, the Russians never seemed like the type to just let criminals go without some sort of punishment.... or the type to follow technicalities.
 
TenPenny
#4
Hell, they stormed that school being held by terrorists, which resulted in the death of a bunch of Russian children; do we think they'd let foreign pirates go scot free?
 
Twila
#5
Live by the sword, Die by the sword.
 
relic
#6
Better than letting them go with a stern talking to,or house arrest like they would get from Canadians.
 
Cliffy
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by relicView Post

Better than letting them go with a stern talking to,or house arrest like they would get from Canadians.

I don't know. I had a few stern talkings to when I was a kid and I never did those things again. But then, I guess I was a wuss. Shooting is a lot cheaper than incarceration.
 
EagleSmack
#8
Good for the Russians. I think the Somali's will think twice seeing the Russian flag flying from the mast.
 
Goober
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

Captured Somali pirates 'dead' - Russia | News.com.au (external - login to view)



The moral of the story?

Don't Fk with Russia and hi-jack their stuff or they'll make you disappear.

My betting either they indeed released them in a boat as described, trailed them for about an hour and then shelled them to the bottom of the ocean..... or they wiped them all out during the raid.

Do you remember a Russian Diplomat was killed in the Mid East a few years ago - why as coincidence would have it a substantial number of person suddenly died - they were all of Mid East descent and involved in shall we say nefarious activities-

Dammed coincidences can make a man ponder now can't it?
 
SirJosephPorter
#10
Apparently Somalia does not have any problem with what Russia did. Then it is nobody else's business. If there was anything improper, no doubt Somalia would have spoken out.
 
Tonington
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Good for the Russians. I think the Somali's will think twice seeing the Russian flag flying from the mast.

Flying the Russian flag through Somali waters might be a good idea for others.
 
AnnaG
#12
Ar, Cap'n, we'll keelhaul em scurvy dawgs fer ya.
 
Colpy
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorterView Post

Apparently Somalia does not have any problem with what Russia did. Then it is nobody else's business. If there was anything improper, no doubt Somalia would have spoken out.

Funny, everybody is in a flap about how the Afghans treat prisoners..........in their own country.
 
AnnaG
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Funny, everybody is in a flap about how the Afghans treat prisoners..........in their own country.

Who's "everybody"?
A Somalian pirate equates with some guy who might be guilty of something in Afghanistan?
 
Colpy
#15
Oh....has anybody noticed it is the Russians releasing the news??

can you spell WARNING????

lol
 
Colpy
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

Who's "everybody"?
A Somalian pirate equates with some guy who might be guilty of something in Afghanistan?

Not really, just yanking SJP's chain....he makes the most ludicrous statements.
 
AnnaG
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Not really, just yanking SJP's chain....he makes the most ludicrous statements.

Constantly.
 
Johnnny
#18
no bull**** attitude i admire them, i hope they dont decide to annex our north, i dont look forward to stepping up to them
 
Goober
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorterView Post

Apparently Somalia does not have any problem with what Russia did. Then it is nobody else's business. If there was anything improper, no doubt Somalia would have spoken out.

Are you aware of the civil war that has been ongoing since about 91 in Somalia.
 
SirJosephPorter
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Are you aware of the civil war that has been ongoing since about 91 in Somalia.

What has that got to do with anything? It is the job of Somali government to look after the interests of its citizens. If they have any grievance, let them complain to UN. But their ambassador has said that they have no problem with what Russians did. The matter should end right there.
 
Praxius
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorterView Post

Apparently Somalia does not have any problem with what Russia did. Then it is nobody else's business. If there was anything improper, no doubt Somalia would have spoken out.

Even if they did speak out, they're certainly in no position to do anything about it.... except perhaps send out more pirates.
 
Praxius
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Funny, everybody is in a flap about how the Afghans treat prisoners..........in their own country.

To be more accurate, people are in a flap over our military's involvement with those prisoners and how they're treated.

If it was just the Afghans fighting, capturing and torturing/beating their own prisoners, that'd be one thing... but when our troops do all the work in capturing them and then hand them over with common knowledge those prisoners are going to face harsh treatment from the afghan forces, that's another thing.... and that thing is called being an "Accessory"

In contrast, that situation where one of our troops put a couple of rounds into a Taliban fighter because he was too far gone and to put him out of his misery, I think he did the right thing.... it is war after all.

But in situations where the prisoner is not mortally wounded, is disarmed and is captured by our forces, imo, that person is out of the fight and is a POW (regardless of everybody's subjective views of what a POW is or isn't)

Torture it one thing.... killing someone in the heat of battle is another. I suspect the Russian forces most likely wiped everybody out on the ship the moment they raided it.... of course the only people who really know are the Russians who were there and the Pirates whom are now suspected as dead.
 
Praxius
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Are you aware of the civil war that has been ongoing since about 91 in Somalia.

I don't see what that has to do with anything. Should I be getting out the World's Smallest Violin to play for them?

I don't see them asking our countries for help in getting things under control, they apparently have no control over their own people and they're running a'muck coming after our cargo ships in the area and holding the people on those ships as hostages for millions of dollars, whom were just trying to do their jobs.

If their own government can't control their people and quell their own problems, then any of their people who attack our ships and our people are open targets imo.

In the US as an example, people who rob banks (ie: took money and ran off) are clear targets that are allowed to be gunned down, even if they never killed or injured anybody..... yet because these pirates are hostage takers and threaten to kill innocent people for money..... suddenly we should treat them better because of their hard lives they may or may not live?

Like a dozen or so pirates take a ship.... people argue they're doing it because they don't have any other means of income.... yet are their ransoms a decently sized yearly income they're asking for?

No, they're asking for millions of dollars in return.... some of them have been paid too..... and people want me to hold sympathy for these people?

I bet those who got paid probably headed right back out to continue taking hostages and ships for ransom..... for more millions of dollars at that.

I'd personally invest in some 30 cal. machine guns for each of my ships and at anytime my ships were approached by a little dingy full of guys with AK's, I'd mow them down without a second thought and send them to Davy Jones' Locker before they got 300 metres.

They're just trying to make a living?

Well so are those people on those cargo ships.
 
ironsides
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

Captured Somali pirates 'dead' - Russia | News.com.au (external - login to view)



The moral of the story?

Don't Fk with Russia and hi-jack their stuff or they'll make you disappear.

My betting either they indeed released them in a boat as described, trailed them for about an hour and then shelled them to the bottom of the ocean..... or they wiped them all out during the raid.

Those Russians are quite logical and efficient. Their problem solved.
 
Goober
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

To be more accurate, people are in a flap over our military's involvement with those prisoners and how they're treated.

If it was just the Afghans fighting, capturing and torturing/beating their own prisoners, that'd be one thing... but when our troops do all the work in capturing them and then hand them over with common knowledge those prisoners are going to face harsh treatment from the afghan forces, that's another thing.... and that thing is called being an "Accessory"

In contrast, that situation where one of our troops put a couple of rounds into a Taliban fighter because he was too far gone and to put him out of his misery, I think he did the right thing.... it is war after all.

But in situations where the prisoner is not mortally wounded, is disarmed and is captured by our forces, imo, that person is out of the fight and is a POW (regardless of everybody's subjective views of what a POW is or isn't)

Torture it one thing.... killing someone in the heat of battle is another. I suspect the Russian forces most likely wiped everybody out on the ship the moment they raided it.... of course the only people who really know are the Russians who were there and the Pirates whom are now suspected as dead.

Now what did you think the Afghan Govt was going to do - did you think that they ( some not all) would not be totured?
 
ironsides
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorterView Post

What has that got to do with anything? It is the job of Somali government to look after the interests of its citizens. If they have any grievance, let them complain to UN. But their ambassador has said that they have no problem with what Russians did. The matter should end right there.

It has.
 
ironsides
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by PraxiusView Post

To be more accurate, people are in a flap over our military's involvement with those prisoners and how they're treated.

If it was just the Afghans fighting, capturing and torturing/beating their own prisoners, that'd be one thing... but when our troops do all the work in capturing them and then hand them over with common knowledge those prisoners are going to face harsh treatment from the afghan forces, that's another thing.... and that thing is called being an "Accessory"

In contrast, that situation where one of our troops put a couple of rounds into a Taliban fighter because he was too far gone and to put him out of his misery, I think he did the right thing.... it is war after all.

But in situations where the prisoner is not mortally wounded, is disarmed and is captured by our forces, imo, that person is out of the fight and is a POW (regardless of everybody's subjective views of what a POW is or isn't)

Torture it one thing.... killing someone in the heat of battle is another. I suspect the Russian forces most likely wiped everybody out on the ship the moment they raided it.... of course the only people who really know are the Russians who were there and the Pirates whom are now suspected as dead.

What involvement, you just turn them over to some country willing to try them or release them with some goodies and say don't do it again or we will fed and cloth you some more. Horrible how they are treated.
 
bushpig
#28
The pirates didn,t hear the ticking
 
Praxius
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Now what did you think the Afghan Govt was going to do - did you think that they ( some not all) would not be totured?

I'm not exactly the best mind reader out there, so I can't tell you what the Afghan government plans before they do something.

But at the first report or evidence of torture or abuse on the prisoners our troops caught, we should have immediately stopped transfers.

However.... this thread isn't about debating what happens in Afghanistan and that's as far as I'm trailing off the beaten path on this.
 
Praxius
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by ironsidesView Post

What involvement, you just turn them over to some country willing to try them or release them with some goodies and say don't do it again or we will fed and cloth you some more. Horrible how they are treated.

I'm not following your point. Our soldiers are not supposed to hand over our prisoners to anybody we suspect will abuse them.... it's like shipping off refugees to a country where they will face torture and/or death.

Still not getting how any of this relates to the above news report. Our troops are not in question, nor are afghan prisoners or anything that happens in Afghanistan.
 
no new posts