Summer starts today and, bang on cue, the first crop circle of 2010 pops up

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
In Britain, the first sound of the cuckoo traditionally marks the start of spring.

And the first sighting of a crop circle traditionally marks the start of summer.

The first crop circle to be sighted in 2010 has been found in a field of oil seed rape close to Old Sarum, the remains of an Iron Age hill fort and where the first Salisbury Cathedral was built. The discovery has been made in Wiltshire, the world's crop circle capital.

It is near to where a 150ft dragonfly appeared in a field last year.

The crop circle usually starts in April with the numbers of cropc circles reaching a peak in July and August.

How they form is a mystery and is the focus of intense debate.

Summer starts today and, bang on cue, the first crop circle of 2010 pops up

By Jessica Satherley
7th May 2010
Daily Mail

The cuckoo traditionally marks the beginning of spring and right on cue to mark the first day of summer a crop circle has been spotted.

The first to be seen of that seasonal staple it is made up of curious
swirls and has been 'discovered' in a field of oil seed rape in Wiltshire close to the remains of an Iron Age hill fort.

The crop circle lies close to the Iron Age hill fort of Old Sarum where Romans, Normans and Saxons have all since left their mark. To the right of the mound lies the outline of where the first Salisbury cathedral stood

The first English crop circle of 2010 is spotted in a field of oil seed rape near Salisbury. The car in the road at the top gives a sense of how large it is

The county is a popular spot for crop circle sightings and this one was found overlooking the historic site of Old Sarum, near Salisbury, near to where a 150ft dragonfly appeared in a field last year.

The bizarre shapes and designs are predominately found in the counties of South West England.

However, they tend to pop up in other regions too and last year a 600ft jellyfish appeared in Oxfordshire – becoming the first jellyfish crop circle in the world.

The crop circle season normally begins in April with them increasing in number to a high point in July and August.

Just how these creations come into being is the subject of heated debate with some arguing they are the work of artists, while others feel they are deliberately created to bring in tourism.

STRATEGIC SARUM

Old Sarum was a mighty Iron Age hill fort which became the site of the first Salisbury cathedral. Chosen because of its strategic importance it was where two trade routes and the River Avon meet.

The Romans installed a garrison in the river valley below the site which was named Sorviodunum. Under the Anglo Saxons it ranked among the most considerable towns of the West Kingdom before the Normans arrived and built a castle there in 1069.

The construction of the cathedral began in 1075 and it was nearly 200 years later that the second cathedral that stands today was built.

The fact that many appear on ancient ‘ley lines’ leads others to believe they carry a mystical meaning.

Ley lines are supposed straight lines connecting three or more prehistoric or ancient sites which are associated by some with lines of energy and other paranormal phenomena.

However they’re formed though, tourists keep flocking to the circles every year to get a glimpse of the giant patterns.

Jellyfish out of water: This 600ft crop circle - the first such shape to be seen in the world - appeared in Oxfordshire last year

This crop circle was found in Wiltshire last year. Just how these creations come into being is the subject of heated debate with some arguing they are deliberately created to bring in tourism

dailymail.co.uk

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
You have brought up a subject that is very dear to my heart, Blackleaf. Crop circles have fascinated me since I saw the documentary Star Dreams many years ago. The sheer detail and size of some circles, and the fact that they appear overnight makes the argument that they are man-made absolutely facetious.

All but the very pure of spirit among us live to one degree or another in the shadow of uncertainty. Events far from our homes affect us in ways that we have absolutely no control over. Our spirits, if not our minds, cry out for calm, for peace, for one day of pure unadulterated joy. Crop circles bring out that joy within us simply by being.

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
You have brought up a subject that is very dear to my heart, Blackleaf. Crop circles have fascinated me since I saw the documentary Star Dreams many years ago. The sheer detail and size of some circles, and the fact that they appear overnight makes the argument that they are man-made absolutely facetious.

All but the very pure of spirit among us live to one degree or another in the shadow of uncertainty. Events far from our homes affect us in ways that we have absolutely no control over. Our spirits, if not our minds, cry out for calm, for peace, for one day of pure unadulterated joy. Crop circles bring out that joy within us simply by being.

somewhere on here I posted a link to a video clip of some "lights" flying about and a cropcircle forming beneath them as they flew around. will see if I can find it......

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

As PT Barnem said, there is a sucker born every minute...

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I watched a program a few days back on that. About 1/2 the crop circles shown where
in Britian, & the rest where on the Canadian Prairies (mostly Saskatchewan). I think it
was on APTN.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Summer is a convenient time for making crop circles, unless you have gravity defying spacecraft, then one should be able to make that design whenever one likes. So why not in winter? It makes a species like like pussies. Afraid of a little cold? I thought space can be a cold place though...

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Summer is a convenient time for making crop circles, unless you have gravity defying spacecraft, then one should be able to make that design whenever one likes. So why not in winter? It makes a species like like pussies. Afraid of a little cold? I thought space can be a cold place though...

....but...but if they made them in Winter, then they wouldn't be Crop Circles. They'd
be Snow Angels!! 8O

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
how come i never hear about crop circles from the praires??????

Probably because the mainstream media doesn't bother talking about them, Johhny. Saskatchewan has had many crop circles over the years. They have done at least one documentary called 'Truth or Tale' about the many circles that have been observed over time.

Here is a link to Saskatchewan circles.

Virtual Saskatchewan - Crop Circle Central