South Africa doesn't like USA soccer apparently

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
The following comment from South Africa's police commissioner got my attention. He's testifying before Parliament about security during the FIFA World Cup.

"Our famous prayer is that the Americans don't make the second round. They get eliminated and they go home."

The Associated Press: Police desperate to avoid Obama WCup challenge

How embarrassing for that commish. His comments were totally audible. Boy will he be feel bad when he finds out that people heard that.

Oh wait, he wanted everyone to hear it.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I'm just saying, if a US official said something like that about another country's sports team, yeah. That would be bad.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
You probably should have included "South Africa's police commissioner says he hopes the United States is knocked out of the World Cup in the first round to avoid the massive security challenge of a visit by President Barack Obama."

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
You probably should have included "South Africa's police commissioner says he hopes the United States is knocked out of the World Cup in the first round to avoid the massive security challenge of a visit by President Barack Obama."

So what if the South African police commish had an excuse to say what he said? As this following reporter from MarketWatch put it, "It still rubs the wrong way".

Source: MarketWatch.com Mobile

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
For the sake of the sport, I DO HOPE that I am wrong.

But based on the way African countries handled their affairs, it is to be feared that the World Cup will be a gigantic mess.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Wacky things are likely to happen at this World Cup in Africa. Just like when it was in Japan-Korea and the reffing was biased in favour of Korea. Now we have a govt that isn't known for much competence putting on the world's biggest sporting event. Europe believes it owes this to Africa, but it's gonna be a ride.