Baby sitter sued after being declared hero

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Just heard on C.B.C. radio that an Alberta girl is being sued (by the kids grand parents) after she saved the kids from a fire three years ago. Are people going completely nut? Does anyone know more details about this. Apparently the fire did damage to the grand parents home nearby. The fire chief at the time declared the girl was a heroine.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's not what it seems; it's two insurance companies trying to decide which one is responsible for the costs.

The lawyer for Mills's parents said Wednesday the lawsuit looks like a father suing his son and a babysitter, but it is actually a dispute between insurance companies.

MollyGroove

May 6, 2010
Edmonton
Actually, TenPenny, CBC did a pretty piss poor job of reporting on this story (I'm assuming that's where you got your info from anyways because if you read other articles from other local publications you'd know why.) The homes that were damaged were both owned by the grandparents that live next door. So this is NOT a case of two insurance companies suing each other. The insurance company is in fact suing the girl and her father. This is a quote from the Edmonton Journal:

Braybrook said he has been advised by his lawyer to fight the suit.

"The lawyer I talked to explained that when you sue a minor, you can't sue for monetary gain because they don't have any money. But they can sue and deem her responsible and they have 10 years to come back on her," Braybrook said.

"She would have to declare bankruptcy at 18 and that is why we are going to have to fight this."

Doesn't really sound like two insurance company's suing each other to me. I feel bad for the girl. This suit is just pure BS. Insurance companies are evil in my opinion.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
An insurance adjuster that screwed me out of about 40,000 when one of my machines burned up a few years ago told me that insurance companies are NOT in the business of paying out claims. It seems they are only interested in making money for their shareholders.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
An insurance adjuster that screwed me out of about 40,000 when one of my machines burned up a few years ago told me that insurance companies are NOT in the business of paying out claims. It seems they are only interested in making money for their shareholders.

You should have told him to show you where that was written into your policy.