Man sues for 'no coloured waiter' request

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Man sues for 'no coloured waiter' request | News.com.au

A HAITIAN-AMERICAN waiter filed suit against a Florida Ritz Carlton hotel after being forbidden from serving a British family who had requested no people "of colour" or with "foreign accents" wait on them.

Haitian-born American citizen Wadner Tranchant, 40, said he was turned away after he began to serve a British family who had reportedly lodged their request with staff at the luxury hotel in Naples, Florida, Florida's naplesnews.com reported today

"My client was prevented from waiting on this couple because he was black," said attorney Michael R.N. McDonnell of Naples, who represents Mr Tranchant, who had worked at the Ritz for 15 years, with Naples attorney Scott Martin Roth.

The lawsuit was filed under the US Civil Rights Act and seeks compensatory and punitive damages.

According to the suit, the incident with Brit Rodney Morgan and his family was not the first of its kind, as "Other employees ... encountered similar treatment on multiple occasions".

Besides me being slightly surprised that this sort of this still happens today.... They're British and visiting in the US, so exactly what did they mean in regards to "foreign accents?"

Only a waiter with a British accent could serve them? :-? They're the damn foreigners and if they had that much of an issue towards people with different accents or of different race, maybe they shouldn't have left England in the first damn place.

Ignorants.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
While I think they're completely ignorant, and I wouldn't have accommodated them if I were his boss, I also don't think he has a right to sue. He didn't lose his job. AND he didn't have to wait on the ****ing racists.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
While I think they're completely ignorant, and I wouldn't have accommodated them if I were his boss, I also don't think he has a right to sue. He didn't lose his job. AND he didn't have to wait on the ****ing racists.

True, the only reason why I'd want to serve a family that was racist against me would be to start more of a confrontation then there already was. I guess on the flip side of things, the company probably did the best thing for the employee by not making him serve them and have to put up with their crap, cuz then he could have sued for that instead.

Of course I would have just kicked the family out.... but then they'd probably sue me, so I guess one just can't win.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I've waited on idiots before. There's an old trick when serving jerks: sabotage what you serve them. :) Add certain body fluids, add hot sauce, add exlax, add ....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I've waited on idiots before. There's an old trick when serving jerks: sabotage what you serve them. :) Add certain body fluids, add hot sauce, add exlax, add ....

.... and wait for the customer to notice the big slimy wad of spit in their food, or the curled pubes, get up from their table, go hunt you down and beat the living tar outta ya in front of the entire restaurant, have all the other customers find out the food's tampered with, create a mob wanting their money back and losing all business..... then later after filing your police report and getting your eyeball stitched back into your head, have the boss fire you, thrown out the back door in the alley, where the customer was waiting for you to get off work, and beats the living tar out of you some more.... then while in a pool of blood and teeth, have their bodily fluids applied in a systematic pattern onto your body.

Doesn't sound worth it to me.

I am not sure exactly how I'd react to someone doing that to my food, but if I found out.... I know the results would not be pleasant for anybody in the nearby area.

I may have a mouth, and I may come off as a jerk sometimes, but so does everyone else on this planet, but I draw the line in tampering with someone's food or using my bodily fluids to get back at someone in such a way.... I'd hope someone would have enough decency and respect to do the same.

If I wanted someone's bodily fluids in my mouth, I'd date em.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
.... and wait for the customer to notice the big slimy wad of spit in their food, or the curled pubes, get up from their table, go hunt you down and beat the living tar outta ya in front of the entire restaurant, have all the other customers find out the food's tampered with, create a mob wanting their money back and losing all business..... then later after filing your police report and getting your eyeball stitched back into your head, have the boss fire you, thrown out the back door in the alley, where the customer was waiting for you to get off work, and beats the living tar out of you some more.... then while in a pool of blood and teeth, have their bodily fluids applied in a systematic pattern onto your body.

roflmao I've never even heard of anything like that before. You have a great imagination, Praxius. You should write books.

I am not sure exactly how I'd react to someone doing that to my food, but if I found out.... I know the results would not be pleasant for anybody in the nearby area.
Yeah yeah. You're tough. We get it. lmao

I may have a mouth, and I may come off as a jerk sometimes, but so does everyone else on this planet, but I draw the line in tampering with someone's food or using my bodily fluids to get back at someone in such a way.... I'd hope someone would have enough decency and respect to do the same.
Respect/decency is a two way street.

Funny how that works. :)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Realistically speaking, probably the best the hotel could have done would have been to kindly inform the guests that it is against strict hotel policy to accept requests of a prejudicial nature.

As for the comment in an above post that it was surprising that such still happens today, I'm not surprised myself. It really isn't that rare of an attitude behind the thin veneer of a friendly facade, even in Canada by the way.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Either that or you hire someone who knows the local indigenous language to serve them and make it clear to him that, as per their request, he is not to talk to them in any foreign accent but the local one.

If the guests complain about that, then just point out that we were merely acquiescing to their request.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
And as for 'coloured', well, some blacks are so black that they're colorless, compared to the 'white' man who turns red when angry, blue when cold, usually pink, white when dead tired and feint, etc.

So acquiesce and have a 'non-coloured' serve them as per their request.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

No problem. Just mix it in real well and they'll never know... but then again, that kind of defeats the purpose if you do that.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
If there was a thousand dollar surcharge on that request those requests would disappear.

Besides that family that ordered pea soup really got pee soup.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If there was a thousand dollar surcharge on that request those requests would disappear.

Besides that family that ordered pea soup really got pee soup.

So you would sell out your principles for 1,000$ ? You're really cheap.

Personally, if I were the reservation agent and got such a request, I would not even bother to ask my supervisor or other about how to handle it. If I did not know the resort's policy on this, I'd just kindly tell the guest that such a request goes against my principles. If he asked to speak to a supervisor, and the supervisor has any integrity whatsoever, as long as the worker remained kind and courteous while informing the guests of his principles on this front, then the manager would stand by that principle too. And if not, then is it really where he'd want to work?

But of course if the manager is you, you'd just inform them that your principles are for sale at a thousand dollars a piece.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
No problem. Just mix it in real well and they'll never know... but then again, that kind of defeats the purpose if you do that.
The whole point behind it is to have a laugh at their expense without them knowing about it. It keeps them wondering what you are chuckling about.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The whole point behind it is to have a laugh at their expense without them knowing about it. It keeps them wondering what you are chuckling about.

What's the fun in that?If I were ever so angry at someone for me to spit on their food, I can guarantee I would not be happy with them not knowing about it, at least after they've eaten it. And if I wasn't so angry as to let them know, then I also wouldn't be angry enough to spit in their food. For me, spitting in food really is a fighting stance, and not for humour. If I'd ever spit in someone's food, I'd find nothing funny in it. It would surely be for vengeance.:lol: