Video: CF-18 Insane Take Off and Dirty Roll

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It wouldn't work for me but I found it here too...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=38f_1271166204

Awesome footage...

When we go to see the boys at Cadet Camp at CFB Trenton, we often get to see them do shake down flights after servicing. To say its awesome to watch, is an understatement.

Sonic booms are amazing to hear. Feeling them is something altogether more spectacular!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
If they'd put that footage in a movie I'd have thought it was cgi. It's very alien looking.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If they'd put that footage in a movie I'd have thought it was cgi. It's very alien looking.
Did you see how close his tail came to scraping the runway?

That stuff is just awesome! When the oldest told me he wanted to join the Air Cadets, I was a little disappointed. I was hoping he'd go Army, but....I hope one day to see him pulling serious G in a Hornet, that's his dream. And quite frankly after watching these kinds of maneuvers in realtime. I can't blame him!

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
I still scratch my head at why the CF-18 is the most glorified aricraft not only in the states but also in Canada. I don't get why out of all the beautiful aircraft in the world, the F-18? I THINK IT'S THE UGLIEST POS.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Regular visitors to The Abottsford Air Show would see that kind of thing every year. If you don't fill all the tanks, the thrust to weight ratio goes above 1:1 and these spectacular take offs and rolls right after lift off are possible if not easy

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
hehehe That kind of take off is called an "unlimited t/o". Hubby experienced one when he wasvisiting his Dad's cousin who was an aircraft mechanic and pilot. The plane he was in was a CF-104 Starfighter. People nicknamed it the manned rocket because it could do about 2.5 mach. It weighed about 10 tons, had a thrust of about 16,000 lbf, was built like a needle so it's drag was quite a bit less than 5 sq feet. Rate of climb was almost 50,000 feet per minute and its ceiling was about 50,000 ft. It wasn't very manouverable, having a long fuselage and relatively stubby little wings but it was only limited to about 2.5 mach because of airframe and something to do with engine temperature. :)
It matched the latest F-18s on rate of climb. Not bad for a plane that started out in late 50s andpeople finally quit using modified versions in 2004.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
CF-104:

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
CF 104 - also known as the widowmaker. Someone wanted to procure a Starfighter for a monument at Laar. He was told to buy a piece of land. Sooner or later one would crash there.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
CF 104 - also known as the widowmaker. Someone wanted to procure a Starfighter for a monument at Laar. He was told to buy a piece of land. Sooner or later one would crash there.
"The Lockheed F-104 was in many ways an engineering marvel whose legacy suffered terribly due to several internal and external circumstances, so much so, in fact, that the aircraft was dubbed the unflattering name of "Widowmaker". Despite its setbacks, the aircraft was a record-setter and found a home with many an air force around the globe. The Starfighter was conceived of by Clarence "Kelly" Johnson, fabled Lockheed engineer at its "Skunk Works" facility. From the outset, the F-104 was designed as a daytime supersonic air superiority fighter. " Lockheed F-104 Starfighter - History, Specifications and Pictures - Military Aircraft

I think there have been quite a few "widowmakers". B26 Marauder, Harrier, the Aussie's Nomad, etc. :(

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
"The Lockheed F-104 was in many ways an engineering marvel whose legacy suffered terribly due to several internal and external circumstances, so much so, in fact, that the aircraft was dubbed the unflattering name of "Widowmaker". Despite its setbacks, the aircraft was a record-setter and found a home with many an air force around the globe. The Starfighter was conceived of by Clarence "Kelly" Johnson, fabled Lockheed engineer at its "Skunk Works" facility. From the outset, the F-104 was designed as a daytime supersonic air superiority fighter. " Lockheed F-104 Starfighter - History, Specifications and Pictures - Military Aircraft

I think there have been quite a few "widowmakers". B26 Marauder, Harrier, the Aussie's Nomad, etc. :(

True enough.

CF 104, in NATO service, was put into ground attack role - a poor proposition for a lightly armoured aircraft with a downward firing ejection seat.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
True enough.

CF 104, in NATO service, was put into ground attack role - a poor proposition for a lightly armoured aircraft with a downward firing ejection seat.

As far as I know lone wolf, the CF-104 ejection seat traveled up a pair of guide rails and ejected out the top of the aircraft after the canopy was jettisoned.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
As far as I know lone wolf, the CF-104 ejection seat traveled up a pair of guide rails and ejected out the top of the aircraft after the canopy was jettisoned.

The later models got or were converted to the Martin-Baker 0/0 (unrestricted speed/altitude)

As designed, the T tail was a problem for upward-fired seats at high speed. In its original nuclear strike role, the down seat was safer. When they went to ground attack, the seat was a killer.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Some earlier models had downward firing ejector seats but the were quickly replaced with zero zero Martin Baker seats that fired out the top as usual.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
That looks as much like an F-18 as the original Black Widow does.
F-18;

F-23;

the original Black Widow;