N.L. sealers having easy time of spring hunt

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

N.L. sealers having easy time of spring hunt - CTV News

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — Newfoundland sealers say a smaller ice pack this spring is making it easier to meet individual boat quotas this year -- and the price they're getting for pelts has improved.

Frank Pinhorn of the Canadian Sealers Association says the animals have been concentrating on the smaller floes, making it easier for hunters to get to them.

Pinhorn says so far they've taken about 60,000 seals out of an allowable quota of 330,000 and may kill another 12,000 before they're done in late May.

Buyers have been paying up to $25 a pelt -- more than double what they were fetching last year.

Forty-two large boats are working in the area known as the Front, between the Grey Islands and Newfoundland's northeast coast. Several smaller inshore boats have also been participating in the hunt.

Well that's good to hear. Obviously the predictions of the nature groups were completely wrong, claiming it'd be more dangerous for the hunters due to thin ice, they wouldn't get many seals because of it and the prices were dropping.

In fact, because of the thinning ice, it's now more easier then ever to get the seals they hunt and the prices have doubled.

That's what happens when you don't bother to look into the facts of something you're fighting and continually revolve around your propaganda as being the truth.... you begin to believe in what you say and thus, further skews your side of the argument.

So now what are they going to do to try and stop the hunt?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
I agree on both posts.... in Australia as an example, they don't each as much beef as we do in North America, but rather lamb.... If Seal meat was available in stores, I'd give it a go..... maybe then we can save some of those poor, helpless cows.

Oh Won't Someone Please Think of the Cows!?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I wish the newfies would just do their yearly seal hunt & stfu about it. So sick of hearing about newfie BS year after year.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Well maybe if all the other groups would STFU about it and let them go on about their business, they would.

Well, as long as they continue to use those hooks to bludgeon the seals, they'll continue to attract every animal rights group on the planet, including the douche bag celebrities.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Canada should make seal meat available to all Canadians
You can have it. I think you'd like it. It's greasy and gross. Kind of like your hero.

Well, as long as they continue to use those hooks to bludgeon the seals, they'll continue to attract every animal rights group on the planet, including the douche bag celebrities.
The hackapik is actually quite human, believe it our not. bullets or arrows cause death by hemorrhaging. The hackapik is far more swift.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007

While I agree with your term "Douche Bag Celebrities" the club end is what is used to kill, not the hook end, which is used to tow the seals back to the boat.

^ See, they use the club part to attack and then the hook part is to drag the protester back to the boat to be skinned.

Perfectly humane. :lol: And it wasn't even a white coat either... nothing to complain about.

Added:

Of course, I highly doubt that was even a real sealer in the photo... too clean cut and doesn't seem properly dressed to be hunting seals. Probably staged like everything else.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
You can have it. I think you'd like it. It's greasy and gross. Kind of like your hero.

The hackapik is actually quite human, believe it our not. bullets or arrows cause death by hemorrhaging. The hackapik is far more swift.

That may be true, but it's all about perception. To the average person, it looks like a tool that would reside in a middle-age dungeon.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That may be true, but it's all about perception. To the average person, it looks like a tool that would reside in a middle-age dungeon.
Can't argue that. Which only brings up my other issue with the general public. Lack of education, critical thought and reason.:cool:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
While I agree with your term "Douche Bag Celebrities" the club end is what is used to kill, not the hook end, which is used to tow the seals back to the boat.

^ See, they use the club part to attack and then the hook part is to drag the protester back to the boat to be skinned.

Perfectly humane. :lol:

Perception, optics, advertising. It doesn't matter which part of it they are using to kill the seal, it doesn't look humane, hence all the euro-trash getting their crap in a knot every spring.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario

Perfectly humane. :lol: And it wasn't even a white coat either... nothing to complain about.

Added:

Of course, I highly doubt that was even a real sealer in the photo... too clean cut and doesn't seem properly dressed to be hunting seals. Probably staged like everything else.
You should read the article that accompanies that photo. Talk about a work of fiction.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Can't argue that. Which only brings up my other issue with the general public. Lack of education, critical thought and reason.:cool:

A picture is worth a thousand words.... even if it doesn't tell the whole story. People can be made to believe all sorts of things.

I personally don't care what they hunt or when but I also believe they have very poor public relations & the government has hijacked the issue somehow making it part of the "Canadian Identity".

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
You should read the article that accompanies that photo. Talk about a work of fiction.

Oh this?

Sea Sheperd: Attack of the Hak-a-Piks

Actually yeah you're right, it's pretty sad.... sure seems to know the names of all the poor protester victims who were attacked by the evil brutes and it sounds like they were attacked merely because the sealers spotted them and they must have been crazy from blood lust, lmao.... :lol:

If anybody was struck in the face by a hakapik, they'd be mashed up a lot worse then what they're showing in their photos on the site.... then again, I guess some will only go so far with being punched in the face by fellow protester to support their cause of making them all out to be brutal thugs.

Holy crap... they sure make it sound like they were going to die... even the Canadian Coast Guard was out to kill them apparently, sheish.

Among all the pile of crap they're dishing out, this caught my attention:

"The chaos that has erupted in the Gulf of St. Lawrence this week - the sinking of sealing vessels,

One due to an accident.... :roll:

the numerous distress calls, the assaults, and the arrests illustrate yet once again that the Canadian Department of Fisheries and Oceans is an incompetent bureaucracy. It is the same incompetence that led to the collapse of the cod fishery...."

Funny, I thought the Cod industry collapsed because Spain crossed into our borders for years to continually clean our Cod out since they already over fished their own waters and didn't stop until we sent military vessels to patrol the area.

Jeez, they're like a Religious Extremist Cult or something.... :lol:

You know, before I just google image searched for the image used above.... I didn't actually take time to read the report linked to it... thanks, I needed a laugh today.

They talk about all this footage and video tape of the "Attack" yet I didn't seem to find any linked videos or other footage of what they talked about except those small, low resolution images, which only show one guy they claim attacked all of them (which very well could have been one of the guys in their group).... and you'd think if it was just the one guy, they'd be able to deal with him considering how many of them there seemed to be there.

It's people like these that just make me wonder why the hell I'm not doing work similar to theirs.... hell I could whip up far better lies and propaganda then that two-bit crap.... and it'd sound more believable too.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The more things change eh Prax. I distinctly recall having this same debate last year. And the year before that.

Durka, what would you define as a true identifying characteristic of a Canadian? A crackhead on the corner of Yonge and Church perhaps? I know that image does it for me. And yes the sealing industry is part of our identity no matter what PETA, IFAW and the rest of the special interest groups say.

Our federal government is only paying lip service to the sealing industry. They talk the talk in front of the microphones but you won't see them take any decisive action. Especially since it involves Newfoundland and Labrador.

IMHO

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Canada should make seal meat available to all Canadians

I would expect that if you took the trouble to go to Newfoundland, you'd find it. Or even, if you're lazy, the Newfoundland grocery store in downtown Toronto.

I don't believe it's the government's job to ensure everyone has easy access to their favorite snack food, however.