Can you believe this?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
16 professors want to end scholarship program for children of dead soldiers

Veterans and political leaders say they’re dismayed with criticism being levelled at a scholarship for the children of soldiers killed in the line of duty.
Sixteen professors at the University of Regina have sent a letter to the school’s president saying the school should withdraw from the program known as Project Hero. The program, created by retired general Rick Hillier, offers free tuition to the children of dead Canadian soldiers.
But the professors say the program is “a glorification of Canadian imperialism in Afghanistan and elsewhere.”

Criticism of scholarships for children of fallen soldiers draws sharp rebuke - The Globe and Mail

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
These academics should be ashamed of them selves. There are proper channels to vent one's disagreement with our foreign policy but to use a children scholarship to make your point is pathetic.

Shame on them.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Juan - you win the poster idea of the month!!

Where you keep finding these juicy stories amazes me...I'm gonna leave before I dare start writing on this one....

Good catch....

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I think it is reprehensible that these "great intellectuals" want to penalize the children of people who gave their lives in service to this country. Regardless of the mission, whether its in Afghanistan, peacekeeping in some other country, performing search and rescue missions, performing humanitarian works like in the ice storms in Quebec and Ontario a few years back, our armed forces members volunteer to serve our country in whatever fashion the government decides: a far more selfless endeavour than most of us are willing to endure. That these professors want to walk away from the debt our country owes those young men and women is disgusting to me.

Even if we don't like/approve of the mission, the last people who deserve to be blamed are the troops who are deployed and their families.

Reactions: DaSleeper

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
But the professors say the program is “a glorification of Canadian imperialism in Afghanistan and elsewhere.”

Rather than "imperialism", our soldiers are trying to do their jobs and get out of Afghanistan in one piece. Some of them, too many in my opinion, come home dead. As far as I'm concerned, we can't do too much for the families and children of these men and women who died doing what they were ordered to do.

Reactions: CDNBear

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Rather than "imperialism", our soldiers are trying to do their jobs and get out of Afghanistan in one piece. Some of them, too many in my opinion, come home dead. As far as I'm concerned, we can't do too much for the families and children of these men and women who died doing what they were ordered to do.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Anyone that has spent a significant amount of time at a university understands that an unusually high proportion of professors are nuts......and most of the rest are just out of touch with reality. The vast majority could not make it outside of the world of academics.......

And this is simply in very very bad taste...........if you have a problem with ourforeign policy, blame it on our government, not those people who have offered themselves in service to the country....

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Anyone that has spent a significant amount of time at a university understands that an unusually high proportion of professors are nuts......and most of the rest are just out of touch with reality. The vast majority could not make it outside of the world of academics.......

And this is simply in very very bad taste...........if you have a problem with ourforeign policy, blame it on our government, not those people who have offered themselves in service to the country....

Colpy

It is called "terminal specialization".
You know that old saw where you learn more and more, about less and less, until finally, you know everything about nothing.......capped off with tenure and a $140,000.00 salary.

They are not all like that thank goodness...lol

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Colpy

It is called "terminal specialization".
You know that old saw where you learn more and more, about less and less, until finally, you know everything about nothing.......capped off with tenure and a $140,000.00 salary.

They are not all like that thank goodness...lol
And they certainly don't have a lock on it either.

Engineers come in a close second...;-)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
16 professors want to end scholarship program for children of dead soldiers

Veterans and political leaders say they’re dismayed with criticism being levelled at a scholarship for the children of soldiers killed in the line of duty.
Sixteen professors at the University of Regina have sent a letter to the school’s president saying the school should withdraw from the program known as Project Hero. The program, created by retired general Rick Hillier, offers free tuition to the children of dead Canadian soldiers.

Criticism of scholarships for children of fallen soldiers draws sharp rebuke - The Globe and Mail
I can see their point and in a way, even agree with it. But that is punishing the kids for the deeds of their parents. It's stupid.

Libertarian

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
I'm against Canadian imperialism, but not against soldiers. Soldiers just fight, politicians choose the wars they fight. You have to admire anyone who is willing to fight and/or die for an ideology, nation, or otherwise.

EDIT: By imperialism, I mean Canada getting our nose in other people's business. The only country Canada should take care of is Canada.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
OK. This is good. Nice one #jaun.

Canada = Imperialist 8O

Holy phuck. Alert Just for Laughs Festival. Jackasses are everywhere. :canada: