Why Both Immigration AND Big Stimulus Spending?


dumpthemonarchy
#1
About 250,000 mmigrants come to Canada each year. To take the jobs many Cdns don't want such as agricultural workers, fast food workers, and live in nannies etc. There are jobs available in the country, despite the recession, but the pay is lousy.

There are jobs out there, so why are govts spending billions of dollars, increasing the debt, and future taxes, on stimulus projects to create jobs? When a fair number already exist.
 
Bar Sinister
#2
Actually immigrants don't really take jobs; they create them. How can this be? Simple. When immigrants arrive they usually have nothing. As a result they buy things such as household items, cars, and eventually houses. All of this purchasing stimulates the economy actually creating more jobs than the immigrants take.
 
dumpthemonarchy
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

Actually immigrants don't really take jobs; they create them. How can this be? Simple. When immigrants arrive they usually have nothing. As a result they buy things such as household items, cars, and eventually houses. All of this purchasing stimulates the economy actually creating more jobs than the immigrants take.

Immigrants do take jobs, but luckily jobs Cdns do not want.

But that still doesn't answer the question why we spend billions of dollars on stimulus projcts when there are jobs for the taking. And extending EI so people don't have to look for work. Many do look for work of course, but some don't.

Immigrants take jobs that are so easy Englkish or experience is not always required.
 
Johnnny
#4
Its because our government wants to lower our dependence ratio or soemthign like that
 
CDNBear
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by Bar SinisterView Post

Actually immigrants don't really take jobs; they create them. How can this be? Simple. When immigrants arrive they usually have nothing. As a result they buy things such as household items, cars, and eventually houses. All of this purchasing stimulates the economy actually creating more jobs than the immigrants take.

Unfortunately that's a myth. Their collective spending is canceled out by an increased service load.

Sure they put money into the economy, but they draw more then they have contributed, via social services, health care, EI, CPP, and so on.

This doesn't include the sponsored immigration of elderly family members, once citizenship is achieved.
Last edited by CDNBear; Mar 16th, 2010 at 06:52 AM..
 
Cliffy
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Its because our government wants to lower our dependence ratio or soemthign like that

Dependence on what? This doesn't make sense to me, but then politics doesn't make sense to me. Is it sensible to hire (elect) a bunch of crooks and retards every four years to run this country? And we call it democracy. Are we that stupid?
 
Johnnny
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

Dependence on what? This doesn't make sense to me, but then politics doesn't make sense to me. Is it sensible to hire (elect) a bunch of crooks and retards every four years to run this country? And we call it democracy. Are we that stupid?

Dependency ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

bring em here give em jobs, then tax em
 
Cliffy
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

Dependency ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (external - login to view)

bring em here give em jobs, then tax em

I guess somebody has to pay all those guys sitting and drinking in bars all day complaining that foreigners have taken all the jobs away from them.
 
CDNBear
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I guess somebody has to pay all those guys sitting and drinking in bars all day complaining that foreigners have taken all the jobs away from them.

Ouch!!!
 
relic
#10
What happened to the good ol' days,when you took what ever job was available or your pogy was cut off?
 
Johnnny
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I guess somebody has to pay all those guys sitting and drinking in bars all day complaining that foreigners have taken all the jobs away from them.

i go to the bar to watch hockey , if that was a cheap shot at me you missed, someone **** in your cornflakes this morning cliffy?
Last edited by Johnnny; Mar 16th, 2010 at 07:15 AM..
 
SirJosephPorter
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

About 250,000 mmigrants come to Canada each year. To take the jobs many Cdns don't want such as agricultural workers, fast food workers, and live in nannies etc. There are jobs available in the country, despite the recession, but the pay is lousy.

There are jobs out there, so why are govts spending billions of dollars, increasing the debt, and future taxes, on stimulus projects to create jobs? When a fair number already exist.

I am not sure that the stimulus package and jobs are related. The original Bush stimulus package (which Republicans enthusiastically supported, but they opposed Obama stimulus package out of partisan politics) was more designed to avoid financial disaster, to avoid falling into a depression.

After Lehman Brothers went belly up, we were looking into an abyss. The credit market has frozen completely, nobody was lending to anybody. Luckily it was weekend, so the situation was not dire, yet. If the situation had continued, we may have had a full fledged depression in a couple of weeks. Nothing moves without credit, the whole economy would have come to a standstill.

Canada’s stimulus money was really for the same purpose. Now, stimulus would be expected to create new jobs and save existing jobs (it would provide money for the teachers, the police etc., who would have to be laid off if the government has no money). To that extent, one could say it was jobs oriented. But the real purpose of the stimulus package was to get the credit flowing once again, to avoid a depression.
 
Cliffy
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

i go to the bar to watch hockey , if that was a cheap shot at me you missed, someone **** in your cornflakes this morning cliffy?

Johnnny, It had nothing to do with you. Are you paranoid? It is just that I have been in bars where everybody was complaining in their beer about not having a job because of foreigners.
 
Johnnny
#14
my bad, people say im a little too confrontational....

Although i have seen what you said myself
 
petros
#15
Johnnny. I stopped watching hockey because it a was all foreign players. Go figure eh?
 
petros
#16

YouTube - south park-they took our jobs

 
Johnnny
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Johnnny. I stopped watching hockey because it a was all foreign players. Go figure eh?

i dont care lol, you think i hate foreigners ?
 
petros
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnnyView Post

i dont care lol, you think i hate foreigners ?

We're all foreigners.
 
Johnnny
#19
a duh
 
Cliffy
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

We're all foreigners.

I think more like we are all aliens.
 
AnnaG
#21
I would think that increasing employment would be the way to counter recessions. So far, I haven't seen stimulus packages do much of that, though.
 
petros
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I think more like we are all aliens.

You are absolutely right. We were all foreign but were lied to about being sovereign so you are right it only leaves us as aliens.
 
petros
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

I would think that increasing employment would be the way to counter recessions. So far, I haven't seen stimulus packages do much of that, though.

Were you given more money to spend?
 
Johnnny
#24
The immigrants getting the jobs the native citizens of this country dont want will help balance out our economy, but not by alot or by too much.... Thats the way things are
 
AnnaG
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Were you given more money to spend?

Nope. I took a drop in income since my shop died because of lack of business.
 
petros
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by AnnaGView Post

Nope. I took a drop in income since my shop died because of lack of business.

So why were the ones who collect money given the taxpayers' stimlus funds while the taxpayer whose money is the stimulus were given nothing?

Can anyone honestly support a political party without feeling like a stooge?
 
dumpthemonarchy
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by SirJosephPorterView Post

I am not sure that the stimulus package and jobs are related. The original Bush stimulus package (which Republicans enthusiastically supported, but they opposed Obama stimulus package out of partisan politics) was more designed to avoid financial disaster, to avoid falling into a depression.

After Lehman Brothers went belly up, we were looking into an abyss. The credit market has frozen completely, nobody was lending to anybody. Luckily it was weekend, so the situation was not dire, yet. If the situation had continued, we may have had a full fledged depression in a couple of weeks. Nothing moves without credit, the whole economy would have come to a standstill.

Canada’s stimulus money was really for the same purpose. Now, stimulus would be expected to create new jobs and save existing jobs (it would provide money for the teachers, the police etc., who would have to be laid off if the government has no money). To that extent, one could say it was jobs oriented. But the real purpose of the stimulus package was to get the credit flowing once again, to avoid a depression.

SJP, you're talking mostly the US when you bring up Lehman Bros. Our banks are better managed, they can't enter risky businesses like derivatives, so they not on the wild side of "banking." It is in the US that people are taking any job available, not in the Great White North.

To say the stimulus package and immigration are not related is simply not so. Although that is the perception in the media. Most people who work in the media and politics have little direct contact with immigrants. How many people from China or Egypt apply for jobs at The Globe and Mail/Vancouver Sun/CTV/CBC/Liberal party/NDP for example. Near zero. I get the feeling that the media lives in another world on this topic.
 
AnnaG
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

So why were the ones who collect money given the taxpayers' stimlus funds while the taxpayer whose money is the stimulus were given nothing?

Displaced loyalty? Misplaced loyalty? Stupidity? Bad sense of priority?

Quote:

Can anyone honestly support a political party without feeling like a stooge?

No-one rational and/or honorable, IMO.
 
AnnaG
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

SJP, you're talking mostly the US when you bring up Lehman Bros. Our banks are better managed, they can't enter risky businesses like derivatives, so they not on the wild side of "banking." It is in the US that people are taking any job available, not in the Great White North.

You'll have to excuse Sir Porker, in his mind anything Canadian is only relative to the USA.

Quote:

To say the stimulus package and immigration are not related is simply not so. Although that is the perception in the media. Most people who work in the media and politics have little direct contact with immigrants. How many people from China or Egypt apply for jobs at The Globe and Mail/Vancouver Sun/CTV/CBC/Liberal party/NDP for example. Near zero. I get the feeling that the media lives in another world on this topic.

lol Only on this topic?
 
EagleSmack
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by dumpthemonarchyView Post

SJP, you're talking mostly the US when you bring up Lehman Bros.

He always talks about the USA. He's one of our Groupies.
 

Similar Threads

2
Tories vow immediate stimulus
by Tyr | Jan 26th, 2009
no new posts