Why Both Immigration AND Big Stimulus Spending?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
About 250,000 mmigrants come to Canada each year. To take the jobs many Cdns don't want such as agricultural workers, fast food workers, and live in nannies etc. There are jobs available in the country, despite the recession, but the pay is lousy.

There are jobs out there, so why are govts spending billions of dollars, increasing the debt, and future taxes, on stimulus projects to create jobs? When a fair number already exist.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Actually immigrants don't really take jobs; they create them. How can this be? Simple. When immigrants arrive they usually have nothing. As a result they buy things such as household items, cars, and eventually houses. All of this purchasing stimulates the economy actually creating more jobs than the immigrants take.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Actually immigrants don't really take jobs; they create them. How can this be? Simple. When immigrants arrive they usually have nothing. As a result they buy things such as household items, cars, and eventually houses. All of this purchasing stimulates the economy actually creating more jobs than the immigrants take.

Immigrants do take jobs, but luckily jobs Cdns do not want.

But that still doesn't answer the question why we spend billions of dollars on stimulus projcts when there are jobs for the taking. And extending EI so people don't have to look for work. Many do look for work of course, but some don't.

Immigrants take jobs that are so easy Englkish or experience is not always required.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Unfortunately that's a myth. Their collective spending is canceled out by an increased service load.

Sure they put money into the economy, but they draw more then they have contributed, via social services, health care, EI, CPP, and so on.

This doesn't include the sponsored immigration of elderly family members, once citizenship is achieved.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Its because our government wants to lower our dependence ratio or soemthign like that
Dependence on what? This doesn't make sense to me, but then politics doesn't make sense to me. Is it sensible to hire (elect) a bunch of crooks and retards every four years to run this country? And we call it democracy. Are we that stupid?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I guess somebody has to pay all those guys sitting and drinking in bars all day complaining that foreigners have taken all the jobs away from them.

i go to the bar to watch hockey :canada:, if that was a cheap shot at me you missed, someone **** in your cornflakes this morning cliffy?

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
About 250,000 mmigrants come to Canada each year. To take the jobs many Cdns don't want such as agricultural workers, fast food workers, and live in nannies etc. There are jobs available in the country, despite the recession, but the pay is lousy.

There are jobs out there, so why are govts spending billions of dollars, increasing the debt, and future taxes, on stimulus projects to create jobs? When a fair number already exist.

I am not sure that the stimulus package and jobs are related. The original Bush stimulus package (which Republicans enthusiastically supported, but they opposed Obama stimulus package out of partisan politics) was more designed to avoid financial disaster, to avoid falling into a depression.

After Lehman Brothers went belly up, we were looking into an abyss. The credit market has frozen completely, nobody was lending to anybody. Luckily it was weekend, so the situation was not dire, yet. If the situation had continued, we may have had a full fledged depression in a couple of weeks. Nothing moves without credit, the whole economy would have come to a standstill.

Canada’s stimulus money was really for the same purpose. Now, stimulus would be expected to create new jobs and save existing jobs (it would provide money for the teachers, the police etc., who would have to be laid off if the government has no money). To that extent, one could say it was jobs oriented. But the real purpose of the stimulus package was to get the credit flowing once again, to avoid a depression.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
i go to the bar to watch hockey :canada:, if that was a cheap shot at me you missed, someone **** in your cornflakes this morning cliffy?
Johnnny, It had nothing to do with you. Are you paranoid? It is just that I have been in bars where everybody was complaining in their beer about not having a job because of foreigners.