Jan 23, 2009
Moving
DST - Problems - Benefits

Problems - Car accident rates go up on the first Monday

Benefits - Snow goes quicker.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Because they days are longer, of course.

See, we cut the days shorter in the winter, and tack those daylight hours onto the days in summer. That's why it's called daylight SAVINGS time...

ummmmmmm...ya.........ok...............:roll:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What I can never remember is, are we in DST now, or was it last week?
Which is it that is the standard time, and which is daylight savings?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Then....

....in business, it's awkward at best when you're coordinating with other parts
of North America....and the TV schedule. Not good. Everybody or nobody, but
most and not all? Whacky...

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I hate doing business with people in Sask this time of year, between us, we never know what time it is in the other location.

At any rate, the worst thing about DST coming into effect is, if you have to get to a 7:30 am Sunday hockey practice that first day....it's ugly.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I'd still like to hear goobers explanation for the snow comment.
Well l its like this - Yuall git up at sunrise fer yer chores and git to bed at sunset chores ar all done must laklily- why naturly the snow goooes quicklike - Yuall havin prublems with thet.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Then....

....in business, it's awkward at best when you're coordinating with other parts
of North America....and the TV schedule. Not good. Everybody or nobody, but
most and not all? Whacky...

So Ron

Where does the water go -Alberta is uphill is Manitoba downhill?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
This thread is silly, but I will take a stab at an intelligent reply. Canada is one of the few countries win the world where DST is of limited benefit due to the fact that Canada is so far north that it stays light here longer from March to September anyway. Why do we have DST then - mainly because the US has it and Canada wants to synchronize its time with that country. Just ask the people in Nunavut or Yukon and NWT if they need DST.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
DST - Problems - Benefits

Problems - Car accident rates go up on the first Monday

Benefits - Snow goes quicker.
Spade wrote to you and told you to say that didn't he? Huh - didn't he???? ;-)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
What I can never remember is, are we in DST now, or was it last week?
Which is it that is the standard time, and which is daylight savings?
Do you get sleepy an hour later in the day now???? We Spring forward and we Fall backwards. Where I live, it is 10:35 PM. Last week it would only have been 9:35 PM. It only feels like 9:35 PM!!! :smile:

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Because they days are longer, of course.

See, we cut the days shorter in the winter, and tack those daylight hours onto the days in summer. That's why it's called daylight SAVINGS time...
According to Goober, it's SMT (snow melting time). The days feeling longer to us don't feel longer or warmer to the snow. However, as Juan and Talloola can attest, we wouldn't know about that here because we really never had much of any snow for SMT! Thursday is supposed to be sunny and warm. It will be SST (street sweeper time). :p

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
This thread is silly, but I will take a stab at an intelligent reply. Canada is one of the few countries win the world where DST is of limited benefit due to the fact that Canada is so far north that it stays light here longer from March to September anyway. Why do we have DST then - mainly because the US has it and Canada wants to synchronize its time with that country. Just ask the people in Nunavut or Yukon and NWT if they need DST.
Ask the people in Prince George if they like DST. I had a customer yesterday who stated he was glad it was finally here and that he was glad he didn't have to get up in the dark and go home from work in the dark. He said he lived up north. I said I had only lived as far up north as Prince George and he said that I should know then because that's where he was from. When our kids got on the school bus in the morning, it was still dark. When they came home at 4:00 it was dark. It's not like that here but I still love DST and I wish we had it all year. Then people who don't like time change wouldn't care.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Using acronyms as VI does - Bar Sinister - are you an AFP - Anti Fun Person - Being silly is part of having fun.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
If I lived at the North Pole I wouldn't have to worry about any of this. In Summer the sun would never set. It would just circle at the horizon. DST would mean little at the pole. One thing bothers me though. How do you give directions on the pole when every direction is south.....:roll: