Avalanche strikes Revelstoke Snowmobilers

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
REVELSTOKE, B.C. - Rescuers were scouring a remote mountain in the Rocky Mountains into the darkness Saturday night after an avalanche struck a large gathering of snowmobilers, killing at least one person and leaving an unknown number missing.
RCMP said said a dozen people were injured in the slide on Boulder Mountain, near Revelstoke, B.C., but up to 200 people were on the mountain at the time for the annual Big Iron Shoot Out.
The slide struck around 3:30 p.m. local time, and search and rescue resources were called in from around the province and from Calgary.
Adam Burke, 20, a member of the Revelstoke Snowmobile Club, said his mother and many of his friends were up there at the time, but his mother was OK.
Burke said he chose not to go, because of the high-risk conditions in the mountains this weekend.
"Today it was high risk and just the other day it was extreme."
Every year someone dies on the mountains around Revelstoke and yet people continue to go there to ski or snowmobile. Seems to me those mountains should be closed by no later than the end of February and try to put a stop to this. Around about 200 people are missing.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
People pick their activities, and take their chances, and know
the risks they are taking, BUT make the choice to go anyway,
similar to other activities in life.

They are playing russian roulette, that is their choice,
I don't have a feeling about it one way or another, and
it isn't anyone else's fault.

As much as they check on the avalanche conditions, it isn't
an exact science, so nature is nature, don't toy with it.

I suppose the cliche thing to say is - they died doing
what they love, well, sounds crazy to me, I wouldn't go
up into those mountains and do what they do, ever, as I
have no desire.

I do walk all over the comox valley all the time, guess
I could get hit by a car one day, but I will chance it.

Someone else will be doing what they did, very soon, maybe
they will be fine, maybe they won't.

I feel the same about the snowbirds, they train here in the comox valley
every spring, once in a while a pilot is killed, for me, that is expected,
and not very surprising, because what I constantly see them do is outragious,
and very risky, it's only a matter of time till another one will be killed.

Same old cliche as above I guess.

I've always felt thankful that I get a big thrill, by doing lots of simple, non
life threatening activities throughout my life. Some people have to almost kill
themselves all the time 'to have a good time', kind of sad I think.
I guess if they did all the things I do, they would be bored out of their mind.

Last edited:

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
The article also says there have been 10 avalanches in the last week in that area. So then you have around 300 people go in there with machines. How smart is that?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Last I heard was that three people had been killed and dozens were missing. The area was warming and there were eight or ten other avalanches which should have been a warning but it seems you have to hit some people over the head to get their attention.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Right now they are going door to door to try to determine just how many people are missing.
By the news article, a young man realized the danger and did not go up the mountain but his Mom did. Luckily, she is a survivor. Too bad she didn't listen to him and put a stop to the snowmobile thing. Sounds like she could have called a halt.

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
People pick their activities, and take their chances, and know
the risks they are taking, BUT make the choice to go anyway,
similar to other activities in life.

They are playing russian roulette, that is their choice,
I don't have a feeling about it one way or another, and
it isn't anyone else's fault.

As much as they check on the avalanche conditions, it isn't
an exact science, so nature is nature, don't toy with it.

I suppose the cliche thing to say is - they died doing
what they love, well, sounds crazy to me, I wouldn't go
up into those mountains and do what they do, ever, as I
have no desire.

I do walk all over the comox valley all the time, guess
I could get hit by a car one day, but I will chance it.

Someone else will be doing what they did, very soon, maybe
they will be fine, maybe they won't.

I feel the same about the snowbirds, they train here in the comox valley
every spring, once in a while a pilot is killed, for me, that is expected,
and not very surprising, because what I constantly see them do is outragious,
and very risky, it's only a matter of time till another one will be killed.

Same old cliche as above I guess.

I've always felt thankful that I get a big thrill, by doing lots of simple, non
life threatening activities throughout my life. Some people have to almost kill
themselves all the time 'to have a good time', kind of sad I think.
I guess if they did all the things I do, they would be bored out of their mind.
The Snowbirds are experienced pilots. They trained extensively before they were chosen and then they train extensively when they became Snowbirds to perform those manouvers. There is an element of risk to what they do but that risk is controlled by training and discipline. when the weather conditions aren't optimal for flying - they don't fly because that would be unacceptably risky and stupid.
There were warnings put out by the Canadian Avalanche Centre regarding the unsafe conditions in that area. Despite that, 200 people decided that they'd take that risk and do what they wanted to do. I wonder those families are comforted that the dead died 'doing what they wanted to do'. I'm like you - I'm lucky enough that I get pleasure from things that are largely low risk. I like to go flying and there is a risk involved. But I won't go flying if the weather is bad, because that would be an unacceptable, selfish risk.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
One of the reasons i dont sled anymore is all the friends that got killed in avalanches here and just over the border in B.C.

They have inflatable bags now that are much better then the old transceivers were as far as survival go's.
Ive been in a few small ones and watched helplessly while stuck on a hillside as buddys below allmost got it by an avalanche hurtling towards them.

Avalanche courses should be mandatory for anyone snowmobiling as they also teach you to stay out of the chutes as well as how to do profiles but basically it's common sense,there is allmost allways a safe way to get back to the bowls and this time of year you should expect an avalanche.

When guys go highmarking they climb as high as they can and then do an arc and come down,the track on some sleds is spinning at well over 100 mph when they make their turn and it's cutting through all the snow layers like a hot knife through butter,this is just asking for a release.

Anyone thinks they can outrun one should also think again,it's near impossible.
I think we lost 2 dozen last year on the BC side,most were old riding buddys.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Avalanche warnings were out long before they all set out. They don't get any sympathy from me.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
On Global news I just saw them interview a 12 year old survivor. They also said that there were a couple of kids involved under 10. These idiots should be charged with child endangerment.

The Canadian Avalanche Center issues warnings for a reason. These people must want to commit suicide. I hope they have to pay for the rescue costs, too.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who get caught in these avalanches. Its something that happens multiple times in BC and Alberta each winter and its usually pure stupidity.

Snowmobilers highmarking, skiers/snowboards ignoring warning signs and going out of bounds and into avalanche areas... its natural selection in action.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Come on you guys. For everyone of you that say you have no sympathy - what if you found out that a good friend or a relative were amongst the missing or confirmed dead? You would feel bad and you know there are lots of people there that are hurting. A little compassion please.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Unfortunately if I had someone who was injured or missing in this case no I would not
have sympathy for them. The warnings were out, and if they didn't get hurt and they
took small children up there they should be charged and their children taken away
until they can get some parenting skills. Its fine to be a rugged individual, but it is not OK to endanger a child. Frankly no I have no sympathy and they should pay out of their estate for their own rescue or recovery. If a sign is up insurance should not
have to pay and the government shouldn't have to pay either for rescue or medical.
Enough, this isn't a chance thing, its a serious possibility of death, either to yourself
of the rescue teams you want to come looking for you.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Come on you guys. For everyone of you that say you have no sympathy - what if you found out that a good friend or a relative were amongst the missing or confirmed dead? You would feel bad and you know there are lots of people there that are hurting. A little compassion please.
My good friends and relatives are not stupid enough to find themselves in that position...

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
News Update:
with the relief at a major catastrophe averted came anger from some in the snowmobiling community who say the two killed - and the real potential there could have been dozens more - should never have happened.
"That was sheer stupidity," said Brandyn Mears, who works at Powder Petes snowmobile rental shop in Revelstoke.
He was referring to witnesses who reported watching the avalanche trigger when a few people attending the annual Big Iron Shoot-Out began high-marking, racing their snowmobiles up the side of the mountain to see who can leave the highest mark and get down safely.
Dozens of sledders stopped to watch from what they thought was a safe distance.
It wasn't.
A towering wall of snow with the force of concrete came tumbling down the mountainside near where a group of 200 was gathered, sweeping spectators and their snowmobiles with it.
Police wouldn't directly say it was the high-markers who caused the avalanche.
But those in the snowmobiling community had little doubt.
"It's guys with the most expensive sleds out to prove who's best, not to prove who's the safest," said Mears, who noted the first mistake was being out on a snowmobile in avalanche conditions deemed dangerous in the first place.
When "a lot of people were ignoring the avalanche risk ... something like this happens," he said. "It's the few bad apples who ruin it for the rest."
RCMP confirmed late Sunday that the names of the two dead men were Kurtis Reynolds, 33, of Strathmore, Alta., and Shay Snortland, also 33, of Lacombe, Alta. The men were business partners in an oilfield hauling company based in Strathmore.
The massive slide sent 31 to the hospital, one in critical condition. The death toll could easily have risen beyond two but for the quick rescue efforts of fellow snowmobilers.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
DamnGrumpy: I think you have named yourself well.

Risus: I think that these people thought of themselves as being too smart to be caught in just such a situation also. Kids have died because their parents believed they would never drink and drive or they never took drugs. Sometimes we have too much belief in those we think we know. We all make the mistake of believing we know people better than we really do.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Avalanche warnings were out long before they all set out. They don't get any sympathy from me.

I used to do 7000 miles a year when we had our sled rental bussiness and was a guide and did many search and rescues and it's allways avalanche conditions in these mountains,every single day so no one really cares if your sympathetic really that knows what the back country is like,it's similiar to you saying you could'nt care less because someone died in a car accident and should'nt have been driving because of the risk.

There's allways a couple of idiots though that have to beak off about any tragedy and you just happen to be one of them.

I have sympathy for folks like you though that have to use a tragedy such as this to climb on your soapbox,hope you never slip on ice and break your neck,the irony would be incredible.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

Of course I would be sad if someone was injured or killed,
who was close to me, but THEY weren't. My initial explanation stands, they were given warnings of avalanches
and chose to ignore them, not very smart.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
News Update:
with the relief at a major catastrophe averted came anger from some in the snowmobiling community who say the two killed - and the real potential there could have been dozens more - should never have happened.
"That was sheer stupidity," said Brandyn Mears, who works at Powder Petes snowmobile rental shop in Revelstoke.
He was referring to witnesses who reported watching the avalanche trigger when a few people attending the annual Big Iron Shoot-Out began high-marking, racing their snowmobiles up the side of the mountain to see who can leave the highest mark and get down safely.
Dozens of sledders stopped to watch from what they thought was a safe distance.
It wasn't.
A towering wall of snow with the force of concrete came tumbling down the mountainside near where a group of 200 was gathered, sweeping spectators and their snowmobiles with it.
Police wouldn't directly say it was the high-markers who caused the avalanche.
But those in the snowmobiling community had little doubt.
"It's guys with the most expensive sleds out to prove who's best, not to prove who's the safest," said Mears, who noted the first mistake was being out on a snowmobile in avalanche conditions deemed dangerous in the first place.
When "a lot of people were ignoring the avalanche risk ... something like this happens," he said. "It's the few bad apples who ruin it for the rest."
RCMP confirmed late Sunday that the names of the two dead men were Kurtis Reynolds, 33, of Strathmore, Alta., and Shay Snortland, also 33, of Lacombe, Alta. The men were business partners in an oilfield hauling company based in Strathmore.
The massive slide sent 31 to the hospital, one in critical condition. The death toll could easily have risen beyond two but for the quick rescue efforts of fellow snowmobilers.

As someone who's done this I can attest to the truth that highmarking is very dangerous,the sleds these days are turbocharged and the big boys also run nitrous oxide and are pushing close to 300 horsepower,anyone who's taken an avalanche course knows what a sheer test is and these sleds are literally doing one life size like when they make their turn to head back down the hill.

The snow is also like concrete,I have been buried in small ones up to my waist and it's allmost impossible to get away or pull yourself out,you might as well be buried in half solidified concrete and it's a very frightening experience.

This said though their is risks in any sport or activity,sledders and especially highmarkers tend to be thrill seekers,mountain climbing is also dangerous yet you dont hear folks saying"well they deserved it" when someone dies or falls to their death.

It allways amazes me what kind of people are the first ones to start spouting off about these tragedys,like maybe it makes them feel superior because they dont do it or despise it,just amazing.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Of course I would be sad if someone was injured or killed,
who was close to me, but THEY weren't. My initial explanation stands, they were given warnings of avalanches
and chose to ignore them, not very smart.

I take it you dont ever drive then when there is warnings of possible bad road conditions,or leave your house when the weatherman says there could be icy conditions,or go out in the sun when the uv index is high,or go to say the olympics because there could be terrorists.

It's ALLWAYS avalanche conditions in the mountains.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I take it you dont ever drive then when there is warnings of possible bad road conditions,or leave your house when the weatherman says there could be icy conditions,or go out in the sun when the uv index is high,or go to say the olympics because there could be terrorists.

It's ALLWAYS avalanche conditions in the mountains.

your guessing game of what I do is wrong, lol, drive on bad roads, icey conditions,
(if I have to), go out in the sun, went to the olympics and had a ball.

I just don't have sympathy for anyone who does life risking
activities, then dies doing it, obviously they didn't take
their own life too seriously, so I won't either, like I
said before, they must have died doing something they loved.

I did not say they 'deserved' to die, and I didn't think
they deserved to 'die', it just does not surprise me, when
I hear that news, and the first post was putting the responsibility on the organization, by saying they should
have closed down to prevent this from happening.

It is not the fault of anyone else, just those who chose
to do what they did, 'after' warnings of avalanche conditions.

When my husband and I watched the news showing the aftermath of this
problem, it was sickening to see what happened, which didn't have to
happen at all, how many were just standing at the bottom of the mountain
looking up, like sitting ducks.

Don't blame others.

Last edited: