For all the union slaggers

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Had to break the Lenten thingy to post this which I stole from comments of a reader of the CBC. He/she puts it better than I could.

This forum has become overpopulated with neocon nutbars such as Walter, Bear, and the like, who will cut and paste you to death if you dare have opinions contrary to theirs and the big blue machine's, and who demand "facts" but give few themselves.

And as I say that I cut and paste..........:lol:......t'was ever thus. Anyhow, for all you union haters and Stevo supporters, idiots all, in my opinion: Yes, Ronny, I just called a name............ooooooooooooooooooh, so bad.:::::::::
"Unions are not 'unaffordable'; having exorbitantly wealthy people is. While benefits to workers costs a few hundred million, our bankers cost us tens to hundreds of billions - and the bankers still gave themselves individual bonuses of tens of millions.

Our 'unaffordable' unions give individual benefits of a few thousand. And we hate them for it because they will fight for fairness in the economy.

Our collective priorities are upside-down, we think people who fight for fairness are 'evil' and those who are profiting from the unfairness, who control the economic system, are somehow the victims deserving of our collective charity""""

Kinda sage, me thought.:canada:

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Our 'unaffordable' unions give individual benefits of a few thousand. And we hate them for it because they will fight for fairness in the economy.

like i said before and from ive posted, i dont trust them, but as the canadian government begins selling our resources out to other nations for pennies, the unions are the ones who are demanding a fair deal....

Im still caught between what to think, and slowly i think i may becoming a pro union guy, slowly im still would liek to see more what people have to say

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I agree with the union stance on workplace safety, hours, conditions ... but when it comes to fair wage is where they fall flat on their faces. Is it fair that someone who bolts the left front tire onto an assembly line car makes as much as a doctor ... or that union wages set the line at which the consumer (the union-paid consumer) can afford far above what minimum wage earners and pensioners can afford? Is it fair that WSIB sets their bargaining practices to counter union mountain-making - even when it's a non-union injured worker with hat-in-hand and wrapped hand? Is it fair that union picketers can harass non-union contractors who are NOT striking - but still have to pay the bills? I think unions have overstepped their place in line.

Reactions: Johnnny

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I have been a union member all my working life and always had mixed feelings about it......while it is true that they are a protection for workers in negotiating contracts and resolving differences between workers an bosses ...it seems that the greatest protection is to the "slackers" who don't deserve it.
And since I have been the beneficiary of the negotiated wage increases over the years and the negotiated buyout and resale of shares in the company I worked for in the last ten years of my working life...I can't bitch too much.....but in 40 years I have never needed a union rep to settle a difference of opinion between me and a boss....probably because I did my job diligently and the bosses recognized that when we didn't see eye to eye on how things should be done.

Slim Chance

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2009
"Unions are not 'unaffordable'; having exorbitantly wealthy people is. While benefits to workers costs a few hundred million, our bankers cost us tens to hundreds of billions - and the bankers still gave themselves individual bonuses of tens of millions.

Our collective priorities are upside-down, we think people who fight for fairness are 'evil' and those who are profiting from the unfairness, who control the economic system, are somehow the victims deserving of our collective charity""""

This mentality absolutely defies all logic with the cherry on top being the reference to the general economic conditions in Greece.

All in all, the economic/tax climate in that nation has punished investors and consequently, the corporate development and investment (read: money) has fled... Without that influx of cash (read wealth), you are left with limited GDP that is evidently not enough to operate the country to the unions liking... With regards to Greece, it seems that they DO need that wealth after all.

Unions are an unnatural component in a market economy that undermines the ability to quantify the real value of a person/group/company. Those people/groups/companies that are more valuable can command greater compensation in a market economy than those that are less valuable or less efficient... This is the starting point of differential levels of wealth.

Last point: The above quoted opinion refers to "those that fight for fairness..." - What a crock-'o-shyte... Fairness would not encompass Fed/Prov legislation that protected unions and would have one single tax-rate applicable to all. The major Canadian unions would have no teeth at all if this protective legislation did not exist. Clearly they can not exist without it and all it does is to serve to promote an unfair playing field.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
This mentality absolutely defies all logic with the cherry on top being the reference to the general economic conditions in Greece.

All in all, the economic/tax climate in that nation has punished investors and consequently, the corporate development and investment (read: money) has fled... Without that influx of cash (read wealth), you are left with limited GDP that is evidently not enough to operate the country to the unions liking... With regards to Greece, it seems that they DO need that wealth after all.

Unions are an unnatural component in a market economy that undermines the ability to quantify the real value of a person/group/company. Those people/groups/companies that are more valuable can command greater compensation in a market economy than those that are less valuable or less efficient... This is the starting point of differential levels of wealth.

Last point: The above quoted opinion refers to "those that fight for fairness..." - What a crock-'o-shyte... Fairness would not encompass Fed/Prov legislation that protected unions and would have one single tax-rate applicable to all. The major Canadian unions would have no teeth at all if this protective legislation did not exist. Clearly they can not exist without it and all it does is to serve to promote an unfair playing field.

I'm not talking about Greece you dipshyte, UNIONS .......................learn to read.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Not all unions are created equal...

My grievances with unions is specific to the Toronto Transit Union. Led by Bob Kinnear, they have held the city hostage over the past 6 years or due to their demands and needs. Wildcat strikes, threatened work to rule campaigns, widespread rudeness & a sense of entitlement where they think City taxpayers should shut up and pay their salaries.

Unions are the own worst enemy at times.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

My grievances with unions is specific to the Toronto Transit Union. Led by Bob Kinnear, they have held the city hostage over the past 6 years or due to their demands and needs. Wildcat strikes, threatened work to rule campaigns, widespread rudeness & a sense of entitlement where they think City taxpayers should shut up and pay their salaries.

They sure don't seem to give a damn about how their actions affect the non-union community - even to the point of plant closures where concessions might just save jobs.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
They sure don't seem to give a damn about how their actions affect the non-union community - even to the point of plant closures where concessions might just save jobs.

Yeah, some tend to think a little too short term and fail to see what's coming down the pipe due to them pricing them selves out of the market.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

Yeah, unions come in various flavours, just like most other things. I've seen both good ones and what I considered to be bad ones. The bad ones tend to make the good ones look even better.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
This forum has become overpopulated with neocon nutbars such as Walter, Bear, and the like, who will cut and paste you to death if you dare have opinions contrary to theirs and the big blue machine's, and who demand "facts" but give few themselves.
Just for that, I'm not sending you the GPS coordinates for the spot where I landed 27 of these today, you grumpy old bastard.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
When the "playing field" (and I hate loath and detest using the corporate newspeak) miraculously levels before our eyes and is carved in stone never to be removed and the advantage of the capitalist money bags is erased for all time then we can say that unions are no longer needed, maybe.
There has been a steady decline in union membership that mirrors the decline in real income since the early seventies. This means that all you anti-union types have happily helped the boss screw you out of bread and butter and driven your wife to work full time. You are dumb beyond measure. It's only a miracle will save this country while we are weighted down with servile twits who would serve up their children and grannies to the bankers rather than learn to stand on their feet like men. Let me translate that for you non union specimins (squeak squeak squeak bark squeak bark bark whine squeak).

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Just for that, I'm not sending you the GPS coordinates for the spot where I landed 27 of these today, you grumpy old bastard.

Sure ya neocon idjit!!! Yoood rather go catchem than support union fisher-labor and buy their hard fought catch in a supermarket.

Come the revolution, by jeez!!!!;-)

Slim Chance

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2009
I'm not talking about Greece you dipshyte, UNIONS .......................learn to read.

Seeing on how your mindless rant was based on "CBC News - World - Greek general strike sparks riots", I thought that it was relevant to comment on the events in Greece... I highlighted the relevant words in commie-red to make it real clear for you.

On that note, maybe you can get permission from your shop steward to use your brain (yeah, I know that it's not in your union-sanctioned job description) to extrapolate (you can get your union rep to look up "extrapolate" for ya) the observations regarding Greece to the very same consequences you see here in Canada.

Do yourself a favor and get a grip on reality.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
When the "playing field" (and I hate loath and detest using the corporate newspeak) miraculously levels before our eyes and is carved in stone never to be removed and the advantage of the capitalist money bags is erased for all time then we can say that unions are no longer needed, maybe.
There has been a steady decline in union membership that mirrors the decline in real income since the early seventies. This means that all you anti-union types have happily helped the boss screw you out of bread and butter and driven your wife to work full time. You are dumb beyond measure. It's only a miracle will save this country while we are weighted down with servile twits who would serve up their children and grannies to the bankers rather than learn to stand on their feet like men. Let me translate that for you non union specimins (squeak squeak squeak bark squeak bark bark whine squeak).

Can you afford to pay more because the union guy can afford it? I can't. You know the vendor will set the price for what the market will bear. Disability doesn't come with a union.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Today I am a farmer, and closer to retirement. Years ago however I was both a union leader a general manager. Years ago, the unions were at the forefront of the social
progressive movement. In the last twenty five years, they are more interested in how
much money is in the pension fund. I think we would not be as socially advanced today had it not been for the union movement. When you look at the structure of
society today its not the workers who are the problem it is management that is out
of control. The bankers, and business leaders are the ones who led us to the brink
of destruction. The excesses, the bonuses, the fact that most of management is
over paid. We don't produce anything anymore we are a consumer society yet the
senior managers take enormous bonuses, even though the companies are losing money. The trade union movement often served as a policeman in the workplace
and without it we are poorer for it. The power of the union is as important as the
structure of management.