Assistant Professor Goes on a Killing Spree

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I thought I had heard everything, but this is truly a bizarre story. An Assistant Professor of Biology went on the rampage, killed the head of the Biology Departments and two Associate professors and wounded three more.

I wouldn’t have thought that academics would be capable of such irrational behavior, but I suppose we are all human beings, and susceptible to same emotions, prejudices and biases.

Apparently the reason she went on the rampage was that she was denied the tenure. For those not in the know, as Assistant Professor does not have tenure, while an Associate Professor is usually tenured.

Professor charged in Alabama university shooting - CNN.com

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
SirJosephPorter, since you did not shout from the roof tops in your post that the professor was a Rebublican/conservative (as is your wont), am I right to presume that she is a (gasp!) liberal?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
SirJosephPorter, since you did not shout from the roof tops in your post that the professor was a Rebublican/conservative (as is your wont), am I right to presume that she is a (gasp!) liberal?

How would I know, YJ? Biology is hardly a liberal/conservative issue, is it? I assume she agreed with theory of evolution (she has to, if she wanted to work as biologist). Since many conservatives don't believe in evolution, they believe that the earth was created 5000 years ago in six days, perhaps she may be considered a liberal (much as most Biology Professors could be considered liberal), I don't know.

But Biology is hardly a liberal/conservative issue (unless one considers evolution to be a liberal/conservative issue).

barney

Electoral Member
Aug 1, 2007
SJP I think YJ was just poking you.

Yep a woman and faculty; unexpected but not improbable. Mental strain (illness?) combined with highly antagonistic and elitist academic environment + easy access to firearms = what happened.

I know some academics who have gone to work at universities in otherwise socially-deserted US cities and they come pretty close to losing it sometimes.

Better not criticise the mashed potatoes any more.

LOL Hey as long as the sex is good, you don't have to worry.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I thought I had heard everything, but this is truly a bizarre story. An Assistant Professor of Biology went on the rampage, killed the head of the Biology Departments and two Associate professors and wounded three more.

I wouldn’t have thought that academics would be capable of such irrational behavior, but I suppose we are all human beings, and susceptible to same emotions, prejudices and biases.

Apparently the reason she went on the rampage was that she was denied the tenure. For those not in the know, as Assistant Professor does not have tenure, while an Associate Professor is usually tenured.

Professor charged in Alabama university shooting - CNN.com

Regardless, is it important enough to be killing people? 8O8O

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Another shooting spree in yankeeland. Doesn't surprise me at all.

What does "Yankeeland" have to do with it? We have incidents in Canada that are every bit as disgusting. Look at the recent alleged incidents in Ontario involving the Colonel. What about the Montreal massacre? What about the four cops shot down in Alberta? What about the eleven victims of Clifford Olson? Our hands aren't exactly lily white................:smile:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Well said, JLM! And you did not even mention Bernando and Homolka.

Of course, for some uber-patriot Canadians facts don't matte, as long as they bash the US.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Well said, JLM! And you did not even mention Bernando and Homolka.

Of course, for some uber-patriot Canadians facts don't matte, as long as they bash the US.
Um, we are talking about 'shooting sprees' here. The problem south of the border is their gun mentality.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
8O Usually it's not a SHE who snaps and guns a bunch a folks.

Sheesh.

Better not criticise the mashed potatoes any more.

That is why the whole story is so bizarre. Here is a woman, an academic, and she goes on a rampage. It seems so unlikely. And all this because she was refused tenure.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What does "Yankeeland" have to do with it? We have incidents in Canada that are every bit as disgusting. Look at the recent alleged incidents in Ontario involving the Colonel. What about the Montreal massacre? What about the four cops shot down in Alberta? What about the eleven victims of Clifford Olson? Our hands aren't exactly lily white................:smile:

No doubt we have our share of incidents. However, if we look at statistics (I know you don’t believe in statistics), the incidence are far fewer in Canada compared to USA, even correcting for the smaller population.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Um, we are talking about 'shooting sprees' here. The problem south of the border is their gun mentality.

During the many dozens of trip we've made to the North Western U.S. there was no "gun mentality" evident. I think the few that do have it, is only in the interest of self protection.