French Spoken First at the Opening Ceremonies for the 2010 Winter Olympics!

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
I assume most of you folks reading this thread by now are fully aware that French was used as the primary language during the opening ceremonies. English was second.

This is a complete outrage. The language of the majority in Canada is English, not French. What were the Olympic Committee members who organized the opening ceremonies thinking? They ruined the ceremonies for many of us Canadian Citizens who speak the language of the majority. I really felt that I was watching the ceremonies in some foreign country like France.

I hope whoever was responsible for this gets fired, and fined for their actions. An error of this nature at an event of this magnitude is inexcusable.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Check the population in Quebec and you will find out that 50% of all Canadians speak French.

In the opening ceremonies they spoke in the native aboriginal languages too

I liked it we have to remember that the Olympics is an international event

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Check the population in Quebec and you will find out that 50% of all Canadians speak French.

WE are not in Quebec. In B.C. the majority speak English. Chinese is probable second, french is way down the line.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
WE are not in Quebec. In B.C. the majority speak English. Chinese is probable second, french is way down the line.

Olympics is a Canadian event that just happens to be in BC and is partially funded by the federal government which is for French and English

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't think that one language is any more official than the other. They are both languages of Canada, it doesn't matter what order that they were spoken, just that they were both spoken.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What I heard that I think was Oh Canada was not sung in either official language as near as I could tell. Made the dog howl.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I don't think that one language is any more official than the other. They are both languages of Canada, it doesn't matter what order that they were spoken, just that they were both spoken.
Absolutely.....But I just knew that someone would cry about it...I even mentioned it to my wife last night while we watched..;-)

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

The 2001 Census total of anglophones, those who report their mother tongue as English, was 17.5 million, or 59.1 percent of the population of Canada, down from 59.8 percent at the last census in 1996. The 2001 Census total of francophones, those who report their mother tongue as French, was 6.8 million, or 22.9 percent of the population, down from 23.5 percent in 1996.

Source: Statistics on Languages of Canada - Census Statistics on Languages

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
What I heard that I think was Oh Canada was not sung in either official language as near as I could tell. Made the dog howl.
That was the cruelist rendition of our national anthem i have ever heard.
What ever happpened to singing the national anthem in schools.
It is sad that a Canadian girl(pretty as she is)sings our anthem in tune with the American anthem.
Only in Canada.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

Quebec doesn't even want to be a part of Canada so who cares that they speak French! Have you even visited the West?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
countryboy said:

"The 2001 Census total of anglophones, those who report their mother tongue as English, was 17.5 million, or 59.1 percent of the population of Canada, down from 59.8 percent at the last census in 1996. The 2001 Census total of francophones, those who report their mother tongue as French, was 6.8 million, or 22.9 percent of the population, down from 23.5 percent in 1996.

Source: Statistics on Languages of Canada - Census Statistics on Languages"

countryboy, shame on you for trying to bring sanity in discussion by FACTS!!!!

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
So, I'm not the only one that really noticed this?

That young singer is really talented, and she did such a great job on the Olympic song "I Believe."

BUT, the arrangement of our national anthem was a - in my opinion - a nasty one. I'm not sure what the arranger had in mind, but it wasn't easy on my ears. The poor girl sounded ike Celine Dion on steroids (trying to follow the bizarre timing), and the music sounded like garbage. That was THE fly in the ointment last night. Well, that plus the 4th column that got stuck in the floor right at the end.

All in all, I still enjoyed the show very much. I still think that guy running and flying around the prairies was a big highlight...that doesn't look very easy to do!

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I would agree with you if the games were even somewhere in the "middle" of Canada. This time however, they are as far West as they can get in this country and the games should have opened with English. As usual, Canada is busy showing the world how politically correct we are. Stumbling all over themselves to appease everyone but those of us who live here.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
That was the cruelist rendition of our national anthem i have ever heard.
What ever happpened to singing the national anthem in schools.
It is sad that a Canadian girl(pretty as she is)sings our anthem in tune with the American anthem.
Only in Canada.
When the Prime Minister spoke in Victoria, he asked that we show patriotism like we never have before because we are known as a country that does not show it. Things like not singing "Oh Canada" in school are the things that bring the pride in this country down. Most of the kids today don't even know the words. Did no one listen to how this girl was singing it before the opening ceremonies. Only one day into the games and already we appear to be a country with egg on it's face.