Tedious Olympic Opening Ceremonies

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I'm watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics and they suck. Visitors to Canada will think we are multilingual in French, aboriginal languages and English. Only in the deluded minds of the govt.

The show of Indians dancing around is dull, so are the totem poles. Some Indians don't even want to be called Canadians. Why are they at centrestage of the Olympics Games?

Tedious.

I was afriad the show would be an embarassment. Much like the show in Turin four years ago.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympics and they suck. Visitors to Canada will think we are multilingual in French, aboriginal languages and English. Only in the deluded minds of the govt.

The show of Indians dancing around is dull, so are the totem poles. Some Indians don't even want to be called Canadians. Why are they at centrestage of the Olympics Games?

Tedious.

I was afriad the show would be an embarassment. Much like the show in Turin four years ago.

I agree. It should look more something like this:

YouTube - 1936 Berlin Nazi Olympics Opening Ceremonies Original Music Hitler

None of this wishy washy multi-cultural nation stuff:-?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Canaidans at the 1936 games did want to get autographs from Hitler. Read that in the paper.

Aboriginals are not really representative of Canada. Part of Canada and should be Canadians, and not separate. People watching the Olympics around the world will think they are prominent in the country. Are they? Within govts they are, but not in the public mind.

And now Bryan Adams and Nellie Furtado just sang a dull song, and Indians are dancing again. Dull. Stiff like Harper.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto

Tedious.

Why don't you wait until the opening ceremonies are over before before you condemn it??

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
They are supposed to be interesting. There is no story here about Canada as we know it.

The main thing is that it is not entertaining. The fears of Turin come true.
\
I have never seen one yet that I found interesting. If they're supposed to be, they've failed at that for the last 30 some years.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I paid for them, now I get to comment. Violining on a canoe. Yeah, we do that all the time.

I hope the hockey game I see will be better. It can't be worse.
Can you imagine the bath-tub racers crashing the party?
I would watch (a replay)if there was even a chance of that happening
Hard paddling went out of style when gunpowder hit the land. (you can dodge an arrow sometimes, you cannot outdistance a bullet)

selbeeps

Feb 12, 2010
The ceremonies definitely suck big time. How incredibly boring and cheesey. Beijing rocked theirs.

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
They are supposed to be interesting. There is no story here about Canada as we know it.

The main thing is that it is not entertaining. The fears of Turin come true.
OK -so what the hell did you want? It's couple of hours that showcases the country. What do you think should be showcased? Bay Street? Perogy-ation? the Curmugeoness of Canada? I'm thinking nothing they'd come out with, you'd approve of. Me? Yeah, I liked the fiddler in the canoe - I happen to like Ashley McIsaac. I like kitchen parties - they're fun - might not be the cultural high point of your life maybe, but they're fun, they're friendly and they're welcoming. I guess by you, representing this part of Canada is boring and unrepresentative. Oh yeah, I guess the Maritimes aren't 'cultured' or 'representative' of what Canadians are. I guess. The whole First Nations thing? Loved it! And guess what - the Europeans love it as well - and lets face it - part of the Olympics is grabbing the interest of foreigners.You won't grab it by showing yourself to be the same as the person you're trying to impress. (Learned that in a Marketing Class). I liked the inclusion of the First Nations - that Fancy Dancer in the green never stopped - he was awesome - and it was really well done.
Look - I'm no fan of the Olympics, but these opening ceremonies aren't bad.
You say that "There is no story here about Canada as we know it." Are you using the 'Royal We'? Because as an artistic representation ? It spoke as much as it was supposed to. And I might add that you're big on the critique, but you haven't said what you think should have been - if indeed you have any ideas at all. My guess is that you just bitch because that's your nature. Oh well, someone has to be the curmudgeon ...

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
The ceremonies definitely suck big time. How incredibly boring and cheesey. Beijing rocked theirs.
Bejing also has millions of people that provided almost free labour- makes a big difference.We don't have the population, we also don't have the political system that provides for a spectacle like that - and I'll admit that it was amazing. but given the choice between our modest offering as opposed to a grande spectacle that never would have happened of they had had to actually pay all involved for their time and labour. I'll take ours.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Well downhome-woman, I think kitchen parties are fun too. This show lacks fun.

Is the Canadian story an aboriginal story? With imagery of aboriginal poles towering above everything else? As if they are the most powerful group in the country.

This seems to be how the govt sees Canada, it is not how I see it. Is this how ordinary people see Canada?

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
Well downhome-woman, I think kitchen parties are fun too. This show lacks fun.

Is the Canadian story an aboriginal story? With imagery of aboriginal poles towering above everything else? As if they are the most powerful group in the country.

This seems to be how the govt sees Canada, it is not how I see it. Is this how ordinary people see Canada?
And I'll ask you again - what would YOUR vision of the opening ceremonies be? How would YOU represent Canada? You've done a lot of kvetching but you haven't actually provided this forum with any constructive ideas on what you THINK should have been portrayed.
For me? Big deal - they didn't represent a 'factual' representation of Canada - it's ENTERTAINMENT - get over it! They represented a PART of Canadian history - and a part that's too often been ignored. Hell - what's the problem? You want to represent Canadian history? Just WHAT do you want to represent? I'm curious.Fact is, the aboriginal story IS a part of Canadian history and it's nice to see it put to the world in this venue. Just like kitchen parties.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The ceremonies were uniquely Canadian. The Chiefs showed up late. Even a recording couldn't mask how bad Ashley MacIsaac is. Spent a billion on security and Gretzky has to fight of yahoos to light the torch.

I loved it it. Light show as awesome.