luger dies of injuries

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sad. I feel for his family.
I always wanted to try thone of these things:

The skeleton racer is Mellisa Hollingsworth of Canada, BTW.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
uh..... had you read my post in the other thread before saying that? Or are we just thinking eachothers thoughts today?

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
I had heard about the accident but didn't realize he had died. A really sad day. Thanks for posting that, Juan.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Very sad indeed. The speeds are incredible in those
particular sports, the sport is dangerous, and a mistake
makes it life threatening, immediately.
They are all aware of their risks, and want to do it anyway,
similar to many other activities in life, so he did die,
doing what he obviously loved doing.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sad. I feel for his family.
I always wanted to try thone of these things:

Why does the track have to be above an 80deg slope? Make a 12 mile track at an 8deg slope. Finesse would even be more important at slower speeds.

If they want even higher speed they need the track to be built in the same fashion as a air-hockey table, then everybody has 0 friction, and there is no off-season.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Looked at the video and it is tragic.
The people that designed the track should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
IOC can be bought off for the right price just like in Salt Lake

Look at what the IOC want to do for drug testing where they freeze the sample for future testing of new drugs in the future so they can pull more medels from athletes

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Although tragic, and my condolences to his family and team members, these athletes know what they are getting into. They know they need to be on the edge to win. Neither the track or the IOC can be blamed. The track WAS approved by the International Luge Federation. (I think that is the name).

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
If any of you could be here and see our weather you might have a better idea of what could be going on there. I heard about this tragedy earlier today and no reasons have been given. With the weather the way it is, pouring down rain with warm temps. A skier was taken to hospital last night but luckily, she is fine. No one has said so but it is probably just a tad colder there, just enough to turn the rain to ice when it hits. It must be making everything there nearly impossible. It was 8 degrees here this morning and according to the weather report it was 10 in Vancouver which is about 20 degrees warmer than places like Toronto. It's raining hard enough that it would seem to me that no matter how full they make the trucks with snow from Manning Park, they are going to arrive with only about a half a load. The cars driving past my house right now are driving through so much water that it sounds like a creek outside.
Probably the sadest thing is in not having an alternate venue since this weather was forecast months ago.
It is heart wrenching to think of how excited him and his family must have been until today.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I just watched that luge accident. I looks like the guy just lost it. He was traveling at something over 140 kph when he flew out of the track. He hit a steel column and that is what killed him. They are going to raise the wall at the place where he went out. They won't be able to make it a hundred percent safe, but the international luge people have approved the changes.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I just watched that luge accident. I looks like the guy just lost it. He was traveling at something over 140 kph when he flew out of the track. He hit a steel column and that is what killed him. They are going to raise the wall at the place where he went out. They won't be able to make it a hundred percent safe, but the international luge people have approved the changes.

I was thinking they could put plexiglass over all the steel columns (like hockey rink). Would be enough to keep the person inside since they would come at an angle.

But ya, what a horrific accident. No doubt he died on impact, moving at that speed.